Clacking noise - Kalkhoff Impulse 2 motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Will Tinker

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2015
A load of pensioners complaining! I have pushed my bike hard for high milage with no problems. Enjoy your bike and don't worry. I was leaving this site but had messages of support to stay. Don't let them put you off. They clack in their sleep as well. I am on a 40 mile ride this weekend. If I clack it will be the curry I had the night before. Why would I get get messages of support? 400,000 + sold 20 complain. Get over it it is a bike not a spacecraft.........
1) You seem to be plucking numbers out of thin air
2) The motors on here failed after a really short mileage. Everyone agrees that components have a life-expectancy, but in this case the motor has broken way, way earlier than anyone should reasonably expect (hence the thread).
3) Most on here haven't had a bad word to say about 50Cycles (check my earlier posts if you don't believe me).

• Agree
Reactions: countarthur

countarthur

Pedelecer
May 6, 2016
Wales
Having bought my Kalkhoff I went ahead and bought another new Kalkhoff (Include) for my wife. Within 2 weeks the new Evo motor died having done maybe 30 miles. Really annoying as we were both out in the country and therefore stranded. I cycled home to get my vehicle. That said 50 cycles were quick to respond and replaced motor immediately. Staff were very helpful - inconvenient though.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
if the new evo motor is failing as well thats not good news for anybody with one of those bikes.

id have got my money back tbh if its only 2 weeks old. these things are not fit for purpose and when warranty runs out a expensive fix at 600 quid for a new motor.

• Agree
Reactions: Tomtomato

oriteroom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 13, 2008
Having bought my Kalkhoff I went ahead and bought another new Kalkhoff (Include) for my wife. Within 2 weeks the new Evo motor died having done maybe 30 miles. Really annoying as we were both out in the country and therefore stranded. I cycled home to get my vehicle. That said 50 cycles were quick to respond and replaced motor immediately. Staff were very helpful - inconvenient though.
The Kalkoff motor saga just goes from bad to worse. Now a report of a failing Evo motor and it being replaced. did you have any noises, or did the motor just stop?

countarthur

Pedelecer
May 6, 2016
Wales
if the new evo motor is failing as well thats not good news for anybody with one of those bikes.

id have got my money back tbh if its only 2 weeks old. these things are not fit for purpose and when warranty runs out a expensive fix at 600 quid for a new motor.
We're both putting some miles on these bikes now and
The Kalkoff motor saga just goes from bad to worse. Now a report of a failing Evo motor and it being replaced. did you have any noises, or did the motor just stop?
No pre failure symptoms it just lost total power i.e. no assist whatsoever. In an e mail they said they couldn't detect what the fault was so replaced the motor. As I said 50 Cycles have been very good with after sales issues on both our bikes but I am documenting everything of course in the event of future problems.

KeithMac

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2016
York
Great service from 50 cycles but after a failure 30 mile I may well have rejected the bike..

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
50c will not be able to open the motors case to see what went wrong as will void the warranty with derby cycles that makes them, same for every make off motor no dealer can open them or fix them.

thus why you always just get a new motor and not get it fixed.

countarthur

Pedelecer
May 6, 2016
Wales
We're both putting some miles on these bikes now and

No pre failure symptoms it just lost total power i.e. no assist whatsoever. In an e mail they said they couldn't detect what the fault was so replaced the motor. As I said 50 Cycles have been very good with after sales issues on both our bikes but I am documenting everything of course in the event of future problems.
Apologies - just chatting to my wife who says that the motor began to make a clacking noise which then went away but and some 4 miles later motor failed.

• Informative
Reactions: Tomtomato

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
if it was me id take the bike back and change it for another make of bike with a bosch or Yamaha motor.

the risk of being lumbered with it is way to high and will not be worth anything after warranty runs out.

nemesis

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 14, 2011
I bought one of the first 2016 kalkhoff integrals with the evo motor last november.The motor was making noises after a few uses and then it started cutting out and in while pedalling.
After a motor change i sold it,in hindsight i should have asked for a full refund because i had only owned it a few weeks.

countarthur

Pedelecer
May 6, 2016
Wales
I bought one of the first 2016 kalkhoff integrals with the evo motor last november.The motor was making noises after a few uses and then it started cutting out and in while pedalling.
After a motor change i sold it,in hindsight i should have asked for a full refund because i had only owned it a few weeks.
If you look at some of my other posts, I did post a question about a resistance feeling when peddling at times. I've now reported to 50 cycles that I am feeling slight resistance at 7mph when cycling up a steep hill. I wouldn't say it was cutting out but this did not happen before and whilst it still assists me (don't have to get off the seat) I still feel some resistance kicking in at times. This is my Kalkhoff Integrale 2016 (Evo) not my wife's Include 2016 (Evo). It may be nothing and is something I'll monitor but if it continues my bike will be going back to 50 cycles to have a look at. I keep a diary of all issues and report to 50 cycles. I'll keep posting here good or bad.

nemesis

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 14, 2011
If you look at some of my other posts, I did post a question about a resistance feeling when peddling at times. I've now reported to 50 cycles that I am feeling slight resistance at 7mph when cycling up a steep hill. I wouldn't say it was cutting out but this did not happen before and whilst it still assists me (don't have to get off the seat) I still feel some resistance kicking in at times. This is my Kalkhoff Integrale 2016 (Evo) not my wife's Include 2016 (Evo). It may be nothing and is something I'll monitor but if it continues my bike will be going back to 50 cycles to have a look at. I keep a diary of all issues and report to 50 cycles. I'll keep posting here good or bad.
When my integrale evo started failing it would stop assisting all of a sudden when pedalling hard and then cut back in and the first time i rode it the clacking noise was evident but only on climbs when the motor was working hard.
I spent a lot of money buying the bike and was very dissapointed with it and with the weight at over 25kg i felt that also hindered the performance.The model was the S class.
After a motor change i lost £500 selling it but the person who bought it seemed happy enough.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: countarthur

countarthur

Pedelecer
May 6, 2016
Wales
My conclusion on this issue is as follow:

• Some people may never experience the motor issue, if they cycle short distances, on a flat road/path, and therefore not straining the motor
  • Once the motor starts making a clicking noise, then it's probably too late to apply a software update, as some mechanical parts may already be damaged
  • I am assuming the typical case of failure is when the motor is in maximum assistance (maximum torque), so top level assistance, and maximum input from the user
  • People who don't have the clicking issue should try to get the software update, as a preventive measure
Anyway, I am pleased to report that my issue with the bike and 50 Cycles has now been resolved (just before submitting the case to a court hearing), in a completely satisfactory manner.

It probably took a bit longer than I would have ideally liked, and a bit more pressure than expected (including actually having to start the legal process), but they did the right thing eventually.
What was the outcome? Do you still own a Kalkhoff?

oriteroom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 13, 2008
No, I don't...
Are you going to get another pedelec. If so please keep us posted on what you choose. I won't be going down the Kalkhoff route when my current panasonic powered diamond frame Pro Connect needs replacing. It's still going strong after 10.5k miles.

Nigel01

Pedelecer
Feb 13, 2016
Had a good ride today. I tried hard to knacker my motor but it would not have it! I still have to say I love my Kalkhoff. I am trying to sort out a web site for Kalkhoff owners appreciation club. If you wish to join please message me. We could sort out rides, social meets and advice for people who wish to purchase a Kalkhoff. Thanks in advance.

Will Tinker

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2015
Had a good ride today. I tried hard to knacker my motor but it would not have it! I still have to say I love my Kalkhoff. I am trying to sort out a web site for Kalkhoff owners appreciation club. If you wish to join please message me. We could sort out rides, social meets and advice for people who wish to purchase a Kalkhoff. Thanks in advance.
So let me get this straight - you're posting on a thread for Kalkhoff owners whose motors have broken after an unusually short time, looking for recruits to your 'Kalkhoff Appreciation Club'.

Ladies And Gentlemen, we have a new Mensa recruit!

May I suggest forum members Nigel02, Nigel03 and Nigel04 - you'll get on swimmingly together.

Status
Not open for further replies.