Clacking noise - Kalkhoff Impulse 2 motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nemesis

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 14, 2011
I haven't decided yet. While I did like the well integrated, seamless assistance of the mid-drive motor with torque sensor, I think I am going to stay away from proprietary solutions for now.

It's possible to get a very decent push bike (albeit heavy) for £500, and then do the conversion with standard components, meaning the motor can be upgraded if necessary (faulty or better version released), the battery is standard, computer is standard etc. All for much cheaper than the price of a German electric bikes.

I believe the Chinese after market parts are going to become better and cheaper quickly, as they will sell in much larger volumes than integrated bikes. This also applies to batteries and computers.
I have been buying kalkhoff bikes since i started with them in 2011 with the pro connect model,you couldn`t give me another one because of the impulse motor.
I now have a carbon Cube hybrid with the Bosch CX motor that i would recommend.The bike has been well used since early this year and there has been no issues.The power comes on a little softer but it builds up nicely at speed and most importantly after the debacle with the kalkhoff dealer it was bought from a fairly local dealer who at least knows how to answer the phone or answer an e-mail.

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
I had some cracking noise several times, and I believe this was an early indication of mechanical failure (e.g. "the clutch").
That is entirely consistant with my friend's experience. It's the early signs of the pall failing, in fact it's probably already damaged, hence the noise. It will let you down suddenly sooner or later.

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
I have been buying kalkhoff bikes since i started with them in 2011 with the pro connect model,you couldn`t give me another one because of the impulse motor.
I now have a carbon Cube hybrid with the Bosch CX motor that i would recommend.The bike has been well used since early this year and there has been no issues.The power comes on a little softer but it builds up nicely at speed and most importantly after the debacle with the kalkhoff dealer it was bought from a fairly local dealer who at least knows how to answer the phone or answer an e-mail.
Me too. I'm still using my 2008 Panasonic model. I wouldn't swap it for a new Impulse model, straight out of the show room. They seem to be rubbish.

lordvincent

Pedelecer
Jan 23, 2015
I had some cracking noise several times, and I believe this was an early indication of mechanical failure (e.g. "the clutch").
What about the loss of resistance in the pedals? I'd be very interested if anyone else had that symptom and had found out what it was.

I have heard a muted version of the noise when riding without power, so suspected the hub but would be interested if anyone had similar.

Will Tinker

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2015
Well, riding the bike now with the new Impulse 2 (my second motor)...

Oddly different behaviour from this one. Getting a weird... kind of resistance, from time to time, when I stop pedalling and the bike is still moving. Anyone had that?

I don't think it's locking, but big resistance, and there seems to be a second before the assistance comes back as I start to pedal again.

Not stopping me from cycling the thing but again... odd.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
if you keep reading other posts you will find there not fit for purpose and near every singe one fails bar Nigel01, he must ride round at 3mph lol

id take it back and get a refund if you can or you will have 1 heavy paper waight.
id also bet the new motor you have has been refurbished from 1 that has broken b4.

• Agree
Reactions: tillson

Will Tinker

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2015
if you keep reading other posts you will find there not fit for purpose and near every singe one fails bar Nigel01, he must ride round at 3mph lol
Well, to be fair there's also the huge number of people who have contacted him in his imagination, uhm, CLUB. Sorry, I meant club.

Nigel01

Pedelecer
Feb 13, 2016
A nice evening ride, what is the best lubricant for my bike when I do high milage on my Kalkhoff? Also could you recommend a at what milage to replace the chain?
I am going to buy my wife a Kalkhoff. She is so impressed with mine. John who wants to know if I want a meet up I have now messaged you. I agree with you 100%.

countarthur

Pedelecer
May 6, 2016
Wales
Well, riding the bike now with the new Impulse 2 (my second motor)...

Oddly different behaviour from this one. Getting a weird... kind of resistance, from time to time, when I stop pedalling and the bike is still moving. Anyone had that?

I don't think it's locking, but big resistance, and there seems to be a second before the assistance comes back as I start to pedal again.

Not stopping me from cycling the thing but again... odd.
Firstly thank you for providing the link to the German web site - it makes a worrying read and not a great advert for Kalkhoff in Germany or UK. I have recently bought 2 Kalkhoffs with the new Evo engine. An include for my wife which failed after just 30 miles and the motor had to be replaced and an Integrale for myself (300 miles). I have battery issues in that it rarely charges to 100% but have recently noticed and reported on this forum two other issues:

1 When peddling on a flat surface at full speed I feel resistance kicking in at about 17mph. 50 cycles tell me this is normal but my experience is that prior to this at such a speed there would be no resistance and bike would freewheel given speed limit inbuilt - jury still out on this.

2 I've also noticed that recently some mild resistance is kicking in at about 7mph when going up a steep hill. Again mild but still there and not there previously.

I am putting on some extra miles at the moment and will then return to 50 cycles to check if I feel its not right.

I just hope this huge expense has not been a mistake. Forums don't always report good news (apart from Nigel 01) and reading the German site is not great. I'm hoping these issues are in the minority but fear not.

Reactions: Will Tinker

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
any wet or dry lube will do but if you are just on the flat and not riding in mud ect and not putting strain on it it from the motor changing gears at speed should last for 2000 miles easy.

some have got 4000-6000 miles from there motor but in the end all go the same way in the end like a time bomb.

stick a dongle on it if you are that sure and bomb around at 30 mph on it cos it wont last long b4 its goes bang ;)

Will Tinker

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2015
Firstly thank you for providing the link to the German web site - it makes a worrying read and not a great advert for Kalkhoff in Germany or UK. I have recently bought 2 Kalkhoffs with the new Evo engine. An include for my wife which failed after just 30 miles and the motor had to be replaced and an Integrale for myself (300 miles). I have battery issues in that it rarely charges to 100% but have recently noticed and reported on this forum two other issues:

1 When peddling on a flat surface at full speed I feel resistance kicking in at about 17mph. 50 cycles tell me this is normal but my experience is that prior to this at such a speed there would be no resistance and bike would freewheel given speed limit inbuilt - jury still out on this.

2 I've also noticed that recently some mild resistance is kicking in at about 7mph when going up a steep hill. Again mild but still there and not there previously.

I am putting on some extra miles at the moment and will then return to 50 cycles to check if I feel its not right.

I just hope this huge expense has not been a mistake. Forums don't always report good news (apart from Nigel 01) and reading the German site is not great. I'm hoping these issues are in the minority but fear not.
No problem.

I think with a hub motor, there is usually (from my experience) some resistance that is natural. What I don't think is natural is resistance that appears at unpredictable times. 17mph is the cutoff limit of the motor, so it's normal to have more at this point (you're doing all of the pedalling above 17mph) but what I have at the moment is a real tightening of the pedals, occasionally, as I stop pedalling, then some real effort needed to get the motor kicking in again.

It didn't happen on my last motor. Maybe it's a software difference. I don't know.

Either way I can live with it - just hoping it isn't a problem that could end up with another motor failure.

Reactions: countarthur

Nigel01

Pedelecer
Feb 13, 2016
any wet or dry lube will do but if you are just on the flat and not riding in mud ect and not putting strain on it it from the motor changing gears at speed should last for 2000 miles easy.

some have got 4000-6000 miles from there motor but in the end all go the same way in the end like a time bomb.

stick a dongle on it if you are that sure and bomb around at 30 mph on it cos it wont last long b4 its goes bang ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.