Clacking noise - Kalkhoff Impulse 2 motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roger R

Pedelecer
Jul 6, 2015
Don't quite understand the points here. Under approx 15mph you will get one of three levels of assistance (mine is a Pro Connect 10). Once you hit approx 15mph the assist switches off. This feels like resistance but it's actually the assistance from the motor disappearing.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

countarthur

Pedelecer
May 6, 2016
Wales
Don't quite understand the points here. Under approx 15mph you will get one of three levels of assistance (mine is a Pro Connect 10). Once you hit approx 15mph the assist switches off. This feels like resistance but it's actually the assistance from the motor disappearing.

Noted - thanks for that, new to e bikes so will continue to monitor any changes in performance. Queries are just queries and of course I've already lost one motor :(

Will Tinker

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2015

The 'resistance' I am referring to is a sudden, what feels like tightening of the pedals immediately when I stop pedalling. It feels different to normal resistance while unassisted, and what follows when I start to pedal again is an unusually long delay before assistance kicks in.

It happens occasionally - so it's not predictable and I can't replicate the problem consistently.

Reactions: Roger R

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
A nice evening ride, what is the best lubricant for my bike when I do high milage on my Kalkhoff? Also could you recommend a at what milage to replace the chain?
I am going to buy my wife a Kalkhoff. She is so impressed with mine. John who wants to know if I want a meet up I have now messaged you. I agree with you 100%.
Just stick your head through your office door and into the 50 Cycles workshop and ask your mechanic about the chain. He'll be able to offer advice. Get him to drop you a new motor in as well whilst you're at it,because that will need replacing before the chain.

Jst_at_home

Pedelecer
Jul 8, 2014
I don't know if this is the right place to make this post but here goes.

I have a Kalkhoff Tasman that I bought from 50C in June 2015. It has done about 1,000 miles.

I have not noticed noise from the motor.

However I posted last October that I was having a problem that, occasionally while out riding the motor assistance would cease. Eventually I could not get any drive at all and the display had gone. Then after some switching on and off of the machine, while the bike worked correctly the display had gone blank. I contacted both Kalkhoff (who suggested it was the back pedal brake which of course I haven't got) and 50C who promised a call-back from a technician which never happened. In desperation I finally cleaned all the contacts on both the battery and where it plugs in. It's been fine until today.

Today I set out for a ride. This time the display was working properly but I have no motor at all.

I have contacted 50C but no reply as yet.

Anyone else had this or anything similar?

John

Reactions: Lothlean

Lothlean

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 18, 2016
I'm hearing reports of a third Impulse motor fitted to a Kalkhoff starting to fail.

Does anyone know of an Impulse motor lasting for more than 3000 miles? A bike in the Kalkhoff price range should easily cover 10000 without any issues.

The Impulse motor seems to be a lemon an Kalkhoff need to address the problem. The situation is reflecting badly on the UK supplier(s) which is unfair because it's not their fault. They are trying hard to do their best with a bad product.
No, we've got a third and it's gone already after 3 miles. Are new motors being fitted or are they reconditioned and fitted? What about the Nuvinci, how useless is that when your legs spin round like a washing machine. I'm ready for taking it to the tip and getting rid of this absalute nightmare and getting rid of the stress and constant nagging for repairs. Never again, I've spent thousands of pounds on other bikes and have only every had to upgrade them because new models come out or need one with additional milage. Disgusting high end product sold as a work horse yet is stone age, cheap, not fit for purpose product. My advice to 50 cycles would be to ditch the brand before they ruin your business.

Lothlean

Jan 18, 2016
I don't know if this is the right place to make this post but here goes.

I have a Kalkhoff Tasman that I bought from 50C in June 2015. It has done about 1,000 miles.

I have not noticed noise from the motor.

However I posted last October that I was having a problem that, occasionally while out riding the motor assistance would cease. Eventually I could not get any drive at all and the display had gone. Then after some switching on and off of the machine, while the bike worked correctly the display had gone blank. I contacted both Kalkhoff (who suggested it was the back pedal brake which of course I haven't got) and 50C who promised a call-back from a technician which never happened. In desperation I finally cleaned all the contacts on both the battery and where it plugs in. It's been fine until today.

Today I set out for a ride. This time the display was working properly but I have no motor at all.

I have contacted 50C but no reply as yet.

Anyone else had this or anything similar?

John
We have the exact same issue. This is after 3 motor replacements, 3 software updates, broken display, broken Nuvinci and no motor assistance yet have been told that I should expect this with a ebike. Rubbish. I have purchases bikes from ebike direct, Oxygen hybrid, works perfectly. I've still got my Ebco Lifestyle from South Yorkshire bikes, and even a diamond pro. All working perfectly, never had any of these issues even one of the bikes that I was knocked off by a van didn't have these problems! Still awaiting for a response after they collected they bike Tuesday. I have been told I can have a partial refund by the Trading ombudsman and if not to take them to County Court.

• Informative
Reactions: Tomtomato

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
they should recall the lot and give you your money back, all of it they are not fit for purpose.

im surprised no one has reported them to trading standards or been on watch dog given the price of them lol.

lothlean id not take that bike back and demand a full refund or a bike with a different motor and make it Crystal clear if not take them to court and they will not have a leg to stand on and cost them the fees on top.

also put this in righting and send it to them recorded delivery.

Lothlean

Jan 18, 2016
they should recall the lot and give you your money back, all of it they are not fit for purpose.

im surprised no one has reported them to trading standards or been on watch dog given the price of them lol.

lothlean id not take that bike back and demand a full refund or a bike with a different motor and make it Crystal clear if not take them to court and they will not have a leg to stand on and cost them the fees on top.

also put this in righting and send it to them recorded delivery.
I have contacted the ombudsman who are not contacting 50 Cycles. I am waiting for a reply but 50 cycles do not have to act on the ombudsman's recommendations. So will take action to court with it been a substantial amount of money. I have given them the premise of a partial refund and have got it recorded on a telephone conversation him refusing! I have tried to be reasonable. Good idea about watch dog, I'll contact them via email now. I have collected all emails and copied them into the ombudsman. Fingers crossed.

• Agree
Reactions: Izzyekerslike

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
dont forget to right all this down as phone calls ect and your time all adds up with days of work ect so id claim for all that as well if you go to court.

this post has had 370 reply's and 18689 views and all bar one is an expensive nightmare and its the same on the German site.

there should be a sticky post top of the page Waring ppl not to buy these things as its just beyond a joke now costing 1000s of pounds for a useless product not fit for purpose.

Jst_at_home

Pedelecer
Jul 8, 2014
Interesting replies.

I love my bike (or perhaps I love the idea of an e-bike). I would not have done the cycling I have without an assisted bike.

However at 63 I've just retired and spending up to £3k on a new bike is not in my "business plan".

As my bike is out of warranty I can see me having to do a cost benefit analysis on whether it is worth the cost of a repair and am facing the likelihood that it is scrap.

Does anyone feel able to recommend a good e-bike that doesn't cost the earth? I bought my Kalkhoff on the basis of its perceived quality.

John

nemesis

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 14, 2011
Interesting replies.

I love my bike (or perhaps I love the idea of an e-bike). I would not have done the cycling I have without an assisted bike.

However at 63 I've just retired and spending up to £3k on a new bike is not in my "business plan".

As my bike is out of warranty I can see me having to do a cost benefit analysis on whether it is worth the cost of a repair and am facing the likelihood that it is scrap.

Does anyone feel able to recommend a good e-bike that doesn't cost the earth? I bought my Kalkhoff on the basis of its perceived quality.

John
I have also moved away from kalkhoff and the impulse because of two motor failures.The bike i have now has the Bosch CX motor and so far no problems after being well used since february with a x3 dongle.
This time i bought fairly local to cut down on the hassle.

Jst_at_home

Pedelecer
Jul 8, 2014
Thanks nemesis. Like others, I did my homework and figured that Kalkhoff were a good make. I still wait for a reply from 50 Cycles but I am steeling myself for the fact that it's going to be a big repair cost or a new bike. I think I had a two-year warranty but as that expired in June and the bike has been well used I'm not holding out any hopes in that area.

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Thanks nemesis. Like others, I did my homework and figured that Kalkhoff were a good make. I still wait for a reply from 50 Cycles but I am steeling myself for the fact that it's going to be a big repair cost or a new bike. I think I had a two-year warranty but as that expired in June and the bike has been well used I'm not holding out any hopes in that area.
It's simply disgusting that Kalkhoff leave their customers high & dry like this after 2 years. You should reasonably expect a minimum of 5 years use from a bike cost in excess of £2000 & £3000 in some cases.

Kalkhoff used to be a good brand, but this motor saga has destroyed that image. Anyone reading this & thinking of buying s bike should consider very carefully what has been said.

• Agree
Reactions: oriteroom

nemesis

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 14, 2011
Somewhere on this forum in one of the kalkhoff threads i am sure that 50c posted that they would honour warranties for motors after the expiry time.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
"Does anyone feel able to recommend a good e-bike that doesn't cost the earth? I bought my Kalkhoff on the basis of its perceived quality. "

Made in Taiwan with a Yamaha motor, £2260 before negociation a discount

Reactions: KeithMac

Crockers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2014
"Does anyone feel able to recommend a good e-bike that doesn't cost the earth? I bought my Kalkhoff on the basis of its perceived quality. "

Made in Taiwan with a Yamaha motor, £2260 before negociation a discount
Nice bike from a quality firm with a proven motor. If it's crank drive with integrated battery also look at Bulls and BH Emotion. Both use the Brose motor.
If hub motor then you can't go far wrong with a Wisper but they don't offer an integrated battery yet.

Crockers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2014
I do feel Kalkoff need to address the problem. A good name can be destroyed do easily. Lancia comes to mind with the Beta issue. NSU with the RO80 problem.

Who said... "A man who steals my purse steals trash... But a man who steals my good name steals all".

50 cycles aren't the problem it's the manufacturer. 50 cycles can fold tomorrow and reinvent themselves under a different name selling other brands. If you guarantee is with 50 cycles id be worried.

nemesis

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 14, 2011
I do feel Kalkoff need to address the problem. A good name can be destroyed do easily. Lancia comes to mind with the Beta issue. NSU with the RO80 problem.

Who said... "A man who steals my purse steals trash... But a man who steals my good name steals all".

50 cycles aren't the problem it's the manufacturer. 50 cycles can fold tomorrow and reinvent themselves under a different name selling other brands. If you guarantee is with 50 cycles id be worried.
Warren Buffett was quoted as saying `it takes twenty years to build a reputation and five minutes to ruin it.If you think about that ,you`ll do things differently`.
Derby cycles who own kalkhoff need to take his advice.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: oriteroom
Status
Not open for further replies.