Class as a cut up?

martx007

Pedelecer
Jul 25, 2008
Wigan, United Kingdom
Folks

I'm always willing to take criticism if it can improve bike handling/technique/ safety etc
The driver on this video stopped his car opened the window and said (after I raised by hand in exacerbation), "What's your problem, I gave you plenty of time"
After slowing to listen I carried on without reply.

What does the pedelec court declare? :O)

[video=youtube;Ntb0nlEaKI0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ntb0nlEaKI0&feature=youtube_gdata[/video]

Martin.

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
I find Audi drivers are the worst on the road, shocking ignorance that was.

ooh and it was a VW

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Guilty an overtaking driver has duty of care to avoid affecting the overtaken.
you had to manuver to avoid collision with a car that cut in in front of you.
guilty
Wheres me black hankey.

PS what do the rozzers say?

Last edited:

GaRRy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 18, 2012
Tamworth
Guilty. Have you shown this to police ?. Mate of mine had someone taken to court after showing police what happened on a video.

Best one I have had like this was when going 25+ mph down hill through road works so single lane. I stupidly left the width of a car + 6 inches to allow some idiot to squeeze past me. Was all of 3 ft in front of me when braked hard to a halt to turn into a drive !!!!. How I did not just straight in back of him I will never know. So basically he risked killing me to save all of 2-3 seconds.

After that sat in the very middle every day and made them all wait.

Last edited:

Scimitar

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 31, 2010
Ireland
Driver guilty of being a knob. Pedelecs can confuse some drivers, as we tend to be going a bit quicker than other cyclists, but they simply don't use their inbuilt eyes, brain and speed-matching algorithms for each situation, instead relying upon years of grooved-in responses and learned behaviour.
Some of them are just pigs, of course.

D

Deleted member 4366

Looks a bit deliberate to me. He shouldn't have moved into the bus lane either, so give it to the police and he'll get done. We don't want people doing that sort of thing. Teach him a lesson.

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
If the driver was too damn ignorant to apologise, I'd show it to the local Nick & ask them to speak to him about his driving, at the very least.

On a lighter note, this happened to me yesterday, on a section of Shared Use Trail, that is open to motorists....

Horsebox pulling out - YouTube

Now I know how many rivets there are in the tailboard of a horsebox!

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
Similar thing happened to me the other day, when a Nissan micra pulled straight out. I was going down hill at about 25 mph. The passenger saw what was happening, and I'll never forget the look on his face as he realised that a fat bloke on a bike might very well crush a micra.

I managed to pull around, overtake and, err, point out my displeasure.

Marctwo

Pedelecer
Dec 1, 2012
People often make mistakes through bad judgement or observation... but this guy was obviously just a moron who thinks it's ok to throw his car at people. Please see if you can get him prosecuted and keep us informed.

ajb9

Pedelecer
Apr 12, 2012
newhaven east sussex
that is driving without due care and attention, you need to contact your nearest road policing unit, your local police station can point you in the right direction.
your local station will only give the job to an officer under training or a pcso(plastic).

your biggest problem will be with the CPS

50 Hertz

Pedelecer
Mar 6, 2013
The car driver did put you in danger.

Just out of interest, how fast were you travelling before you were cut up? Also, what speed does your bike assist to?

Geebee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2010
Australia
The speed pf the bike is irrelevant, I am faster by far when healthy on an unassisted bike.
I would not have kept my mouth shut in those circumstances, just ask the drivers that have cut me off :)

50 Hertz

Pedelecer
Mar 6, 2013
The speed pf the bike is irrelevant, I am faster by far when healthy on an unassisted bike.
From the video footage, my perception is that the bike was travelling fairly quickly. It may just be an illusion caused be the camera, but my first thought was that it was going fast.

I am still curious to know how fast the bike was going and what it assists too. Both issues are relevant if we are to give our opinion, which is what the OP has asked for. We can't be selective in what we disclose, choosing only the bits which suit our agenda.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Bad driving.

I would speculate the car driver either didn't see you, or did and managed to forget you were there when making the left turn.

Or the ignorant sod just couldn't bear the thought of giving way/pulling in behind a cyclist.

You could present the video to the police, but I'm afraid there are lots of stupidly militant headcam cyclists who have queered that pitch.

If you do go to the police, bear in mind coppers hate a mere member of the public telling them what to do.

So present it on the lines of: "I wasn't very impressed with this and I will make a statement if you would like me to."

50 Hertz

Pedelecer
Mar 6, 2013
Approx 18mph.

I get plenty of examples of bad driving but never been pushed to take on the stress and hassle of getting the police involved.
It looked faster than 18 mph, so that must have been an illusion created by the camera angle. I was just thinking that if you take the video to the police, it is obvious a motor is powering you along and the speed seems quite high, moped speeds. They are bound to be curious about what you were using on the road. But if it only assists to 18 mph, although illegal, it's not ridiculous and probably won't get you in the sh!te

I would say that the VW driver is guilty of driving without consideration for other road users. I don't think it's a due care and attention offence.

Last edited:

Marctwo

Pedelecer
Dec 1, 2012
I'd say it was attempted murder... well, ok. Maybe that's a bit strong. lol.

But this driver new exactly what he was doing as he edged the cyclist into a submit or die choice. I don't know what offense this kind of willful bullying comes under but it sounds like terrorism to me.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I would say that the VW driver is guilty of driving without consideration for other road users. I don't think it's a due care and attention offence.
And as d8veh remarked, in breach of the bus lane regulations. His correct course to turn left was to stay in the outer lane with left indicator flashing while slowing up to the gap in the bus lane markings, and then if nothing could be seen approaching in the left side mirror, execute the turn in that gap.

The driver failed on all those counts, irrespective of any cyclist present. Had the driver done what they should have done, there would have been no possibility of conflict.

D

Deleted member 4366

Any reasonable person can see that it was deliberate - probably because he was held up for a few microseconds back up the road. The police take a very dim view of that sort of thing. He'll try and say he didn't see the cyclist, but will have trouble explaining why he veered into the bus lane.

You should report it to the police. The more people that get prosecuted, the more the word will get round that that sort of behaviour will turn out expensive, which will deter them from doing it in the future.

SRS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 30, 2012
South Coast
Martin

If this is the first time this has happened to you, you're lucky.

Common practice by few inconsiderate drivers.

In my earlier cycling days, a friend of mine used Coca Cola as his way of reminding the driver not to do it again.

If at all possible, he'd catch them up and get them to open the window to chat. Quick shake of his tin of coke from his down tube, popped the clip and threw it in the window. Then cycled off.

I am not suggesting that this is the way forward but it did make him feel better on numerous occasions. No doubt the drivers remembered the event.