clicking from my bike, identifying the source

patpatbut

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2012
Dear all,

I have a problem with my bike recently. This click is intermittent so it is hard to know where is the source

I have spent the whole day this sunday but I have given up.

Following things I have done but no use

1. replaced the whole front wheel.
2. replaced the whole rear wheel.
3. handler bar bolt checked and re-tight

The clicking seems to happen when I put load on the pedal but the click still presents without pedalling so it is not BB or chain.

The only think I could think of is the frame as the bike doesn't make the click on my bike stand.

Could the frame make a click sound?

Pat

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
Have checked the seat? Sometimes the springs can cause a noise, or a loose bracket.

It's also worth checking the pedals.

patpatbut

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2012
Hi Mike

Yea I checked the seat but the noise still exists when I stand up.

I can still hear the click without pedalling.

This random clicks drive me crazy.

patpatbut

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2012
I replace the whole spare wheels but the click are still here. This eliminate the spoke problem. Just could not believe this

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Is it your Brompton ?

If so probably the rubber suspension block on the back. Disassemble, you will see the main bolt through the rubber bung has black crud on it. Clean off, regrease, reassemble and all will be fine.

Took me weeks to track that one down :rolleyes:

The only other thing that happens after a year or two, is the bearings click in the pedals but that does not sound like your problem.

Jerry

patpatbut

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2012
Thanks Jerry,

It is not my brompton. I have another full size bike broadman sport MX which has this problem.

I love my brompton as it is still running fine after 2000 miles+

Pat

Reactions: jerrysimon

patpatbut

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2012
Can the headset make a click noise? Any good tutorial on how to open the FAS no. 10P semi-integrated ?

patpatbut

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2012
I removed the seatpost and still exist.

Anyone can suggest what is the move?

patpatbut

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2012
Does it do it without your feet on the pedals at all?
Try free wheeling and lift your feet off.
Could be that the pedal arms need tightening....

Any bags or power cables for lights etc. attached to the frame-could be a zip rattling or a tie-wrap end somewhere.
Hi Martin,

Yes it still clicks without my feet on the pedals when freewheeling (again I can only hear it when I feel the bike under load)

I thought about the cables too but I have check all the cables nothing touched.
Also, I could not hear it when riding without much load to the bike.

I must say it is the difficult one as the clicking noise comes out completely random.

I believe it is the front play as I can hear it from the front so it might be the headset...still not sure

Pat

patpatbut

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2012
Hi Martin,

Thanks for the offer. I live in Oxford still a bit far to bring the bike to you.

Suspension fork could be the issue but I have not heard suspension fork could make a click sound.

Do you know how to remove the headset FSA no 10P? It seems quite standard headset for most bikes.

Thanks
Pat

martin@onbike

Official Trade Member
It's disassembled like a standard threadless (a-head) stem, but the bearings are usually sat within the frame head tube.
Just take note of the order of dust caps and spacers when taking it apart to check the bearings.
Are you experiencing play in the headset, does it feel "notchy" or stiff on turning?
Could it be something trapped in the frame causing this noise....?

Matt Jones

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 13, 2013
A, A
Hi, I joined this site a while back but never go around to posting.

I had a very simliar problem once, mine turned out to be so simple- it was where the stem clamped onto the handlebars, I simply loosened the clamp, cleaned both surfaces, applied a tiny bit of grease & retightened and it sorted it.

Just thought I should mention it in case its the root of your problem too.

patpatbut

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2012
Thanks Martin and Matt

I put the link here. Hope you guys can diagnose the problem

Pat