Help! Clicking noise (bottom bracket?)

Phil Dryden

Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2018
Leicester
Hi all,
I have a Wisper 905 Torque, bought new in July 2020, and would appreciate any help with an irritating noise which appears to come from the bottom bracket area. I have commenced a dialogue direct with Wisper, but I thought as an additional measure I would pick the collective brains of all those out in the ether.

If I pedal along the flat with a ‘normal’ load on the pedals it is dead quiet, a lovely bit of machinery. However when I apply significant pressure to the pedals (particularly the LH pedal) I get a peculiar double ‘click’ on the down stroke. When toiling up a steep gradient this becomes a more generalised ‘creaking’ sound.

Points to note -

1. The noise is per crank revolution and not related to gear selected, wheel revolutions, or assist level. Stop pedalling hard, no click.

2. I have tried a different saddle and seat post without any improvement. Tried a bit of grease under the saddle and around the seat post, but it cured nothing.

3. Different pedals have failed to cure it.

4. Nipping up the crank arms made no difference.

5. Cleaned and lubed the drivetrain and derailleur, but no improvement.

Feeling around the spokes, I suspect that one or two are maybe a bit slack, but I would have expected more of a ‘ping’ than a ‘click’ if this were the cause.

If the issue lies within or around the bottom bracket area, then it is perhaps odd that I can feel nothing coming through the pedals - no roughness or movement.

Altogether a bit of a mystery, and any suggestions gratefully received.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
you need to tighten the LH crank bolt more.
Use a long handle 8mm allen key for that, something like this:

Reactions: Wisper Bikes

Phil Dryden

Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2018
Leicester
you need to tighten the LH crank bolt more.
Use a long handle 8mm allen key for that, something like this:
Thanks Woosh. Wisper made the same suggestion at an earlier stage, and I did tighten them up but it made no difference. What I will try is taking the cranks off, give them and the tapers a thorough clean, regrease and reinstall real tight. Hopefully that will resolve things. Any other suggestions/advice/reccs all gratefully received. I must say that Wisper have been great at sorting the odd niggle out - far better than the dealer I bought the bike from.

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Hi all,
I have a Wisper 905 Torque, bought new in July 2020, and would appreciate any help with an irritating noise which appears to come from the bottom bracket area. I have commenced a dialogue direct with Wisper, but I thought as an additional measure I would pick the collective brains of all those out in the ether.

If I pedal along the flat with a ‘normal’ load on the pedals it is dead quiet, a lovely bit of machinery. However when I apply significant pressure to the pedals (particularly the LH pedal) I get a peculiar double ‘click’ on the down stroke. When toiling up a steep gradient this becomes a more generalised ‘creaking’ sound.

Points to note -

1. The noise is per crank revolution and not related to gear selected, wheel revolutions, or assist level. Stop pedalling hard, no click.

2. I have tried a different saddle and seat post without any improvement. Tried a bit of grease under the saddle and around the seat post, but it cured nothing.

Feeling around the spokes, I suspect that one or two are maybe a bit slack, but I would have expected more of a ‘ping’ than a ‘click’ if this were the cause.

If the issue lies within or around the bottom bracket area, then it is perhaps odd that I can feel nothing coming through the pedals - no roughness or movement.

Before touching the bike with tools, which could possibly erase any remaining guarantee, it needs to first be taken back to the seller.
Andy

Phil Dryden

Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2018
Leicester
Before touching the bike with tools, which could possibly erase any remaining guarantee, it needs to first be taken back to the seller.
Andy
Hi, Andy, I know where you are coming from and normally I would fully agree. However I wasted time having the bike in at the dealership for its free check over and it came back no better. If its a simple matter of cleaning up and refitting the crank I can do that in half an hour, and if it doesn't work I have every confidence in Wisper's customer service to advise further.

• Agree
Reactions: Amoto65

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Hi, Andy, I know where you are coming from and normally I would fully agree. However I wasted time having the bike in at the dealership for its free check over and it came back no better. If its a simple matter of cleaning up and refitting the crank I can do that in half an hour, and if it doesn't work I have every confidence in Wisper's customer service to advise further.
OK, I just wanted to make sure you were fully aware of your possible options.
Regards
Andy

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
Have you tried nipping up the bolts that hold the chain ring on. I had something similar and that sorted out my noise.

Bobajob

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2019
Cornwall
Hi all,

Points to note -

I had the same. It was my bearing gone on the pedal. Try that.

Phil Dryden

Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2018
Leicester
I had the same. It was my bearing gone on the pedal. Try that.
Hi Bobajob,
One of the first jobs I did when I bought the bike was to upgrade the pedals to DMR V8 wide platforms, so I'm happy these are as new and run free. I did revert to the original Wisper pedals without any improvement.

Phil Dryden

Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2018
Leicester
If you bothered to read his post thoroughly you would see he had already tried that.
Now, now, Amoto, all Amigo's here. :D Just an update, I have now had both cranks off, thoroughly cleaned tapers and cranks, lightly greased the cranks and refitted them with a touch of threadlock, tightening them both to within an inch of their life in the absence of a torque wrench. Got a long 8mm allen wrench coming tomorrow for a final wee twist. All I want now is a bit of decent weather for e test ride.

Bobajob

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2019
Cornwall
Hi Bobajob,
One of the first jobs I did when I bought the bike was to upgrade the pedals to DMR V8 wide platforms, so I'm happy these are as new and run free. I did revert to the original Wisper pedals without any improvement.
sorry Phil I missed the pedal change but its been pointed out to me that I didn’t bother to read your post properly. Lol

Phil Dryden

Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2018
Leicester
A regular allen key and some hollow steel curtain pole or 1/2" copper pipe, will also get you dangerous amounts of torque.
Granted, and I've done it for years. For £3.50, though, there is something wonderfully tactile about a nice 'soft feel' handle for putting down the torque! And you still have the option of copper pipe when it gets serious.;)

Reactions: GSV3MiaC