Clipless pedals

swordfish

Pedelecer
Mar 28, 2013
Pedals fitted. Have to admit didn't realise the clip would stand a bit proud to the flat pedal.
Just ordered a pair of DZR midnights, they look similar to my normal footwear.
Roll on Thursday when they're supposed to arrive.
I'm just off to see if we have any plasters ;)

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
Pedals fitted. Have to admit didn't realise the clip would stand a bit proud to the flat pedal.
Just ordered a pair of DZR midnights, they look similar to my normal footwear.
Roll on Thursday when they're supposed to arrive.
I'm just off to see if we have any plasters ;)
:D. Yes - the cleats are recessed on MTB shoes so the surrounding sole can make contact with the pedal. Did you have to cycle far ? :eek:

swordfish

Pedelecer
Mar 28, 2013
No, but thought I'd just be able to wear any shoes in the future, SPD or not. Looks like it'll have to be SPDs or ones with a fairly solid sole. Or maybe keep a pair of shoes at work?
I'll see how I get on with them. If it becomes an issue, I'll just stick them on my Trek non-electric. I only ever use that for exercise so wearing SPD shoes isn't an issue.

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
Ah - OK. I wear SPD shoes everywhere (including when not on the bike) these days. On ones with thicker soles / some boots it's hard to tell there are cleats at all when walking off the bike. Also ridden on those pedals in trainers for a few miles here & there without bothering much - found that preferable to trying to find the flat side of the previous 'dual' ones ! But they're best with SPD shoes. Always good to have an excuse to buy some more shoes :).

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
I have Shimano PD-A530 clipless pedals and ride in SPD shoes on my Neo Xtrem and even with the heavy tumble that I took last week after a combination of them being too tight and also being rammed solid with mud, I really rate both and riding on the flats just doesn't feel right now.

Two lessons learnt.

1- Listen to people when they say slacken the clip. I was just being lazy.

2- After riding through really heavy mud and getting on an off the bike, make sure that both the clips and shoes are free from mud. Again, I was being lazy.

Last edited:

eHomer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 20, 2012
I second the suggestion about lubricating the pedal clamps.

One of my secondhand bikes had the Shimano SPDs already fitted, and the SPD clips on the pedals were the only thing rusty on the whole bike !

I run my clips about as loose as they'll go, and they've never pulled out unintentionally, and yet the sideways effort of just normally lifting my foot from the pedal always releases them instantly.

The perfect setup for me now, having fallen over the first time I used them at the default factory setting and forgetting to rotate the foot during a panic stop. :rolleyes: