Help! Clunking noise inside the hub motor.

Lezallib

Just Joined
Jun 18, 2019
Good morning!

So I received an ebike conversion kit a few days ago, the battery will be here in about 10 days.
Its a 48V 1000W gearless hub motor(rear) with a 7-speed freewheel.
I've been seeing how everything will fit together and what additional parts/equipment I will need.

Heres the meat of the matter. During all this, I noticed a concerning clunking noize what I believe is inside the hub motor.
It happens once per revolution. I am quite certain that it is not the freewheel because the noise still happens even if the freewheel is stationary, but doesn't happen when the wheel is spinning backwards and is engaging the power train.

Any help, tips, or suggestions would be amazing.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
There are no moving parts inside the motor. The stator is stationary and fixed to the axle. The rotor is attached to the hub and it's turned directly by the magnetism of the stator. The hub turns on the wheel bearings like any hub. I can understand a tapping of clicking noise from something like a loose magnet on the rotor, but not clunking. Can you video or record the sound?

Lezallib

Just Joined
Jun 18, 2019
The sound is quite deep and sounds like is coming from the outer part of the motor. I am at work currently but I can record it when I get home.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
It's a DD drive so no freewheel at all inside, you will find that out when you try and ride it without power :eek:.

Lezallib

Just Joined
Jun 18, 2019
@Nealh Yeh I am a bit concerned about how bad it keeps its momentum when I spin it up whilst my bike is upside down. Haven't test ridden it because of the clunking sound. eek indeed

harrys

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 1, 2016
Chicago, USA
I'm told the DD magnet drag isn't so bad when you're riding, and I have test ridden some 500W DD motors bike a few years ago and they coasted OK. Maybe the controllers on those bikes kept a little current in the windings. I've read that a tiny bit of throttle lets you pedal a 1000W motor nice. Ah, I'll never know. I don't want a DD.

As to the problem at hand, you probably do have a loose magnet. MAke a video for proof and have the seller make it right.

Sturmey

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2018
Ireland
I had 3 different freewheels making a hammering 'clunking' noise in the last few years. In all cases, a sideways movement can be felt by reaching down onto the freewheel cluster and the wear is evident with a sideways rock.Indeed, in one case (DNP), the freewheel was new so it was not that there was wear but the freewheel was not properly 'shimmed'. It many cases it can be corrected by opening the freewheel (left hand thread) and removing one of the packing shim washers, although this may be too much bother for many. I suppose you could unhook or remove the chain and try 'ghost' pedaling to completely eliminate the freewheel from your inquiry.

Last edited:

barbe

Pedelecer
Mar 22, 2019
So lezallib I want to hear your "clunking" sound! My motor too makes a Strange sound! And more than just a sound….I feel Something vibrating just when I pull away!

MkFred

Just Joined
Nov 12, 2021
I'm in the unusual position of having two Swytch battery packs - an older, larger one which includes odometer and speedometer for a 700 wheel which I bought second hand recently and a modern one for a Brompton.

I initially had to replace the Quick Connector on the handlebars after which the system worked well for a short time, but then the hub motor started making a clunking noise and the power output was intermittent. At the same time the odometer and speedometer would malfunction. The situation would improve slightly by using the smaller power pack for the Brompton.

This is nothing to do with the freewheel cassette on the back wheel and there is no obvious play in the power hub on the front wheel.

I'd be grateful for any inspiration as to how to carry matters forward.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
One suspects a wiring issue with the new connector.
Explain clunking a bit more.