CNN Report On Electric Bikes

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
Last time I looked the UK distributor only sold the most expensive and most illegal model, the cost was several thousand pounds. It's almost as if they don't want to sell any.

Straylight

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 31, 2009
It's a pity as even though I know that they're much maligned here, I still think that the design would appeal to young professionals a bit more than some of the models currently available here. I believe people like their gadgets to be smooth and sleek, as reflected in the world of consumer electronics. To be fair, Wisper and Cytronex are heading in the right direction, others though IMO are somewhat lacking in the kerb appeal needed to gennerate passing interest and enquiry.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
At the right price they certainly would have widespread appeal if the high powered versions were legal. The illegality and colossal prices rule them out though, and I doubt if a legally powered 250 watt version would have any advantage on what's already on our market.

Of course the highest powered version is illegal just about everywhere, including throughout the USA, it's realistically more a moped in it's capabilities.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Optibike 850XLi Base Model MSRP: $9995.00 :D

Alex728

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2008
Ipswich
to be fair I read a lot of transition/green/peak oil type blogs from the USA and e-bikes are becoming popular there as well for everyday transport in more "liberal" areas as well as being techie/geek toys.

There appears to be to be a different e-bike culture in the USA, with more hobby and utility riders "building their own" custom machines from kits rather than importing whole machines from Europe or China, although ready-built Izip bikes seem popular (I somehow get the impression this is an American concept anyway)

Last edited:

Barnowl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2008
I loved that article:

"I learned that the worst amount of smog that you put out [in an automobile] is in the first mile, so if we can make even some of those shorter trips on our bicycles, it makes a big difference," she says.

I think this is great point that isn't bought out enough. Mmmmh but you could do that on a normal bike anyway - only a mile after all.

"If you ride one, it will blow your mind," Keith Felch says. "When you get on one it's like being in a flying dream you've had. It's like everything you've dreamed your bicycle should do in your wildest dreams -- it's doing it."

Steady on mate. Let's not get carried away. Maybe I've got the wrong bike!

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
I loved that article:

"I learned that the worst amount of smog that you put out [in an automobile] is in the first mile, so if we can make even some of those shorter trips on our bicycles, it makes a big difference," she says.

I think this is great point that isn't bought out enough. Mmmmh but you could do that on a normal bike anyway - only a mile after all.

"If you ride one, it will blow your mind," Keith Felch says. "When you get on one it's like being in a flying dream you've had. It's like everything you've dreamed your bicycle should do in your wildest dreams -- it's doing it."

Steady on mate. Let's not get carried away. Maybe I've got the wrong bike!

You probably have compared to an optibike! lol I kinda agree with what he says after watching tho video of the sports guy riding his....It looks like a very impressive bike.

whats the tech detail?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
to be fair I read a lot of transition/green/peak oil type blogs from the USA and e-bikes are becoming popular there are well for everyday transport in more "liberal" areas as well as being techie/geek toys.

There appears to be to be a different e-bike culture in the USA, with more hobby and utility riders "building their own" custom machines from kits rather than importing whole machines from Europe or China, although ready-built Izip bikes seem popular (I somehow get the impression this is an American concept anyway)
It's relative though Alex, in proportion to their population e-bikes scarcely exist there. Until very recently they only had two e-bike dealers in the whole country, Nycewheels in New York and ElectricVehicles NW with two branches, in Seattle and Oceanside, California, and the whole centre has no presence, having to shop a thousand or so miles away.

As you say, that tiny market is over 90% leisure, e-bikes treated as toys as most quad bikes are, things to muck around on. The main Izip are US based though Chinese built, and their name situation is complicated since there seem to be two Izip companies, one Chinese and unconnected.

Straylight

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 31, 2009
LOL :D Hopefully it doen't mean quite the same thing in the states...*snigger*

nottyR6

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 6, 2009
I want one, they are cool. I wouldnt fancy the road rash those guys are going to get if they fall off at 30mph+ though