Commercials turning left. Take care.

Richard_M

Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2013
Ely, East Englia.
Hello again to you all. I ride my bike to and from the depot and then drive a minibus all day. I had a near miss in Histon near Cambridge with a bike up the inside just before turning left. I indicate at least 10 secs, at least 400yds before a turn yet still had a bike come up the inside yesterday.

I'm sure nobody on the forum ever rides up the inside of a commercial indicating left, but please don't do it right at the turn itself. We can only see what is in the mirrors. I have a good look before the turn, but just suppose...

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Cyclists who ignore left turn indicators are a very big problem Richard. At 20 mph a cyclist covers almost 30 feet in a single second, so can come from hidden behind the rear of a commercial vehicle up into the danger area in less than a second.

Since drivers turning left cannot be looking in their mirrors throughout every second, the cyclists must take responsibility for their safety by avoiding the danger areas and always taking notice of indicators.

grldtnr

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
south east Essex
AHH !but flecc, what about the drivers who overtake then immediately turn left in front of you,most times these are commercials.

You say cyclist ignore indicators, , I think not, more a case of bike users than cyclist. it still remains the problem of most drivers being in their safe tin box, not recognizing the specific 'squashy' nature of cyclist .
But I take your point, yes SOME cyclist do have a disregard for their own safety .
Cyclists who ignore left turn indicators are a very big problem Richard. At 20 mph a cyclist covers almost 30 feet in a single second, so can come from hidden behind the rear of a commercial vehicle up into the danger area in less than a second.

Since drivers turning left cannot be looking in their mirrors throughout every second, the cyclists must take responsibility for their safety by avoiding the danger areas and always taking notice of indicators.

SRS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 30, 2012
South Coast
Hello again to you all. I ride my bike to and from the depot and then drive a minibus all day. I had a near miss in Histon near Cambridge with a bike up the inside just before turning left. I indicate at least 10 secs, at least 400yds before a turn yet still had a bike come up the inside yesterday.

I'm sure nobody on the forum ever rides up the inside of a commercial indicating left, but please don't do it right at the turn itself. We can only see what is in the mirrors. I have a good look before the turn, but just suppose...
Don't go up the inside even if it is not turning left!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
AHH !but flecc, what about the drivers who overtake then immediately turn left in front of you,most times these are commercials.
They are in the wrong as I've posted before. I've also posted that drivers who pull alongside cyclists in typical traffic lanes are in the wrong, since the lane at that point belongs to the cyclist. Drivers should either stay behind or, if there is room to overtake to completely ahead of the bike, do so safely with good clearance.

That a bike is slow moving is no excuse to try to share the bike's lane by forcing past, if it were a milk float they'd have to stay behind.

I don't ever defend bad driving, but I equally cannot support bad cycling.

VictoryV

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 15, 2012
near Biggleswade
In Biggleswade there is an entry into a one way system which is a lights controlled crossroads at which you can only turn left, NO straight on, NO right turn. I was at this junction in a bright red Almera with a bike to my left. As the lights changed I waited for the bike to move off before slowly moving off myself, just as well becuase he went straight on by cycling across the front of my car as I was commencing the turn. Hit the brakes and missed him by inches - he just carried on regardless into the no entry and against the oncoming traffic.