Commuting and nutrition advice please

andyh2

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2008
I've been commuting 2-3 times a week 13 miles each way for the past 4 weeks. Takes me an hour each way. In the mornings whether or not I have much breakfast the ride in is fine. But there's been 2 occasions on the way back I've completely run out of steam 1/2 way back and 'limped' 3 miles to the nearest shop en route which is at the 3/4 mark leaving 3-4 miles to go. I was surprised as I'd had a banana before setting off home. It really is a debillitating feeling of absolutely no energy. 10 minute break with sweets and energy drink from the shop and the last 1/4 is fine. There's been another couple of times when I've been close to this energy drain but made it home.

I've tried sweets and energy drink before setting off and that seemed to help but I don't really want to get into a habit of this really. I'm a bit surprised as I'm normally fine riding for a couple of hours on or off road and I'd thought of my commute as being like that, albeit with an 8 hour gap while I get on with my sedentary job.

Ages ago I remember reading that eating starch / sugar within 40 minutes of finishing exercise can help to top up glycogen stores. Is this the sort of approach I should take ie ride in then eat a sandwich or something soon after getting in.

I could experiment of course, but thought someone here might know.

Anyone else have similar experiences.

Thanks Andy

Danny-K

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 25, 2008
South West
I raised my eyebrows somewhat when first reading of your experience Andy. Everyone will have experienced what you've described at one time or another - but not after 13 miles I'll wager. The 'bonk' or 'hunger knock' shouldn't be so bad after 13 miles that it prevents you from carrying on without further sustenance, IAMO, especially as you are gaining assistance from a state-of-the-art electric bike, (Agattu, if I've read your previous posts correctly), and assuming you still had plenty of water in your water bottle and weren't dehydrated to boot.

However, make no mistake - cycling uses a huge amount of energy. After an energetic bicycle ride you must replenish your muscle glycogen stores so that your muscles can repair and rebuild themselves in readiness for your trip home. Puzzled, I re-read your post in an attempt to find a clue to your predicament, and I think I found one in the following passage:

'... Takes me an hour each way. In the mornings whether or not I have much breakfast the ride in is fine'.

No it's not fine Andy, never set out on a cycle ride without an adequate meal sometime beforehand. You say it's only happened once or twice. I bet those are the days you set out on a:

"...or not much breakfast..." days.

And then your body spends the rest of the day trying to play catch-up with the deficit you've imposed upon it, and is hit yet again before it has recovered, by the ride home. (Something tells me you're a skinny bugger - am I right?) :)

In fact, if you'll indulge me for a mo' whilst I don my Dr House guise, I would say, with the casefile I have thus far built on you, I deduce that not only are you of a slim bodybuild, but are in fact underweight for your height and/or bodymass index. Yes? :)

Anyway, I can heartily recommend a breakfast of porridge for a day that commences with a cycle ride. Whatever your choice of food, a reasonable breakfast is a MUST if you are dashing straight out to start the day with an hour's cycling trip. A MUST!

After you arrive at work, eating a high carbohydrate meal/snack will, as you point out shorten your recovery time. Also remember to re-hydrate fully whilst cycling INTO work and AFTER you hit your workplace.

It's been postulated in the cycling mags that our bodies have enough glycogen stored in our muscles to keep us going for about 90 minutes of moderate exercise.

In your case Andy, that's only if you eat something reasonable at work BEFORE setting off for home. (One solitary, lonely, banana is insufficient as a start to the ride home). Having a sedendantary job may reduce your appetite, but that just leaves you ill prepared for the hour's exercise you are about to 'punish' your body with. Eat man! Eat! :)

And to prevent your body going into energy deficit during the ride home, the traditional advice is to eat a high carbohydrate snack such as a muesli bar or a banana for EVERY hour during your ride. That will keep your muscle glycogen levels topped up. If you don’t like to eat during a ride then at least drink a carbohydrate sports drink - sipping regularly, not just when you feel thirsty or hungry.

It's just 'the bonk' - easily rectified with, (as the song from Oliver goes): Food! Glorious food!

Last edited:

Tiberius

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 9, 2007
Somerset
It's been postulated in the cycling mags that our bodies have enough glycogen stored in our muscles to keep us going for about 90 minutes of moderate exercise.
That would put it on a par with most bike batteries. Though hopefully with the capability for many more cycles.

Its an interesting comparison. I think you'll find the whole carbohydrate, glucose, fat, respiration system is not only quite efficient, but also comes out with impressive numbers for rate of energy conversion and for energy storage per kg.

Nick

Danny-K

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 25, 2008
South West
Andy, overlooked these two mentions in your post when replying last night:

I've tried sweets . . . Ages ago I remember reading that eating starch / sugar within 40 minutes of finishing exercise can help to top up glycogen stores. . .
Sweets, sugar and starchy things all provide 'empty' calories - yes, they'll give you an immediate (but temporary) 'lift', transferring the boost quickly into your bloodstream, but then deplete just as rapidly, leaving you feeling just as 'hollow' soon again. They're fine as a treat IN ADDITION to more nutritious stuff: bananas, raisons etc., but not as a replacement per se.

Having said that, bananas are not one of my favourite tastes, although I do carry them on long trips. And I too, always carry 'treats' in my saddlebag along with cereal bars and sandwiches. But then again it's been many a year since I've suffered from the dreaded bonk. (Always better to carry more food than you actually require for your needs than too little, IAMO).

P.S. If, as you have alluded to, you are prone to sometimes skimp on breakfast then at least drink a large glassful of orange juice, like milk it's more food-like than hydration-like in it's qualities - but it has to be the real deal, none of that 'made from concentrates' rubbish, the Tropicana Original in the tall carton 'with juicy bits' is the best all-rounder IAMO.

Last edited:

Blew it

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2008
Swindon, Wiltshire
The subject of having a proper breakfast before driving or riding, reminds me of a survey carried out many years ago into early morning accidents involving HGV drivers. In almost every case, the HGV driver had not had breakfast.

This is not unusual, many drivers like to get going very early and get some miles under the wheels before the rush hour starts, which is when a lorry driver will stop at a roadside and have a hearty alldayer.

It's not just diabetics who can suffer from low blood/sugar levels after a nights fasting. Hence the expression "break-fast".

andyh2

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2008
It's really taken me by surprise too because as I say a 2 hour off ride is tiring, but fun, not completely exhausting.

Actually I'm overweight at the moment. For years I was a bit overweight at 13 stone, but over the past year I've put on an additional 20lbs. I do like my espresso boost in the morning and that probably masks my need to eat a bit.

Sage advice though, porridge for breakfast it is:)

Danny-K

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 25, 2008
South West
Actually I'm overweight at the moment. For years I was a bit overweight at 13 stone, but over the past year I've put on an additional 20lbs.
Aww bugger! That's me Dr House impression down the tubes then. :(

Overweight at only 13 stone???

- Here's hoping you manage to get a handle on the hunger-knock situation.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Aww bugger! That's me Dr House impression down the tubes then. :(

Overweight at only 13 stone???
I'm well overweight at 11 stones 8 lbs and need to get off at least a stone Danny. I actually managed to get down to 9 stones 8 lbs about five years ago, 46 years after I was last that weight!

burncycle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 13, 2008
Sheffield
I've started eating "oats so simple" with a banana chopped up each morning before I commute home after work.
I've found my energy levels are much better than before.

My fav flavour is apple and blueberry.

coops

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2007
Manchester U.K.
Another vote for porridge here :)

I could never eat it much before, but now I can't wait to tuck into some most days :) and it does seem to help keep energy levels up & hunger pangs down.

Even better to reinforce the effect would be to choose your whole diet to maintain a good energy level:

Bike Radar has some quite informative articles on nutrition, e.g. glycemic index, glycemic load & avoiding a fuel crisis :)

I suspect that the fun & adrenalin boost help keep you going on an off-road ride, but not necessarily on a commute to work...

Fortunately your Agattu is better suited than hub-motor bikes for off-road riding, so if you have any such routes available to 'liven up' your commute, thats another option... :)

Stuart.

andyh2

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2008
So I need to change my diet to oats, brown rice, honey and fruit:rolleyes: Actually I like those Dr Fenn articles and I think it'll be worth taking account of them.

JohnInStockie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2006
Stockport, SK7
I'm well overweight at 11 stones 8 lbs and need to get off at least a stone Danny. I actually managed to get down to 9 stones 8 lbs about five years ago, 46 years after I was last that weight!
Ahem, I know this isnt a competition, but I think that I might win this one. Now just under 15st (having lost 2st), I only need to add about 10 inches to my 5'11" frame to be the correct weight :rolleyes:

John