soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
DSC_0114.JPGDSC_0115.JPG

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
I top my battery up at work and keep it inside in the warm.

Speed seems not to effect the motor, however ingress of water will.

You are probably like a new boy with a new toy at the moment and enjoying high levels of assist. But you might find once you have got that out of your system you can vary the assist depending on gradient and work harder yourself to still average 20mph but use less of the batteries capacity on the journey.

I would still top up the battery at work if you can.

Jonnie

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 20, 2019
...... a little concerned now!

Are you both saying even using 70% per trip is not good for the battery? I’m sure I could reduce this once the excitement has passed....

I would anyway be topping up at home or work, either way it would be over two journeys. Don’t really want to be carrying the charger with me all the time.

As you say, I’m enjoying this a lot at the mo...

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
I know the Yamaha charger is a bit of a lump, but I take mine with me and charge the battery back to full before the ride home.

That way my own 10 mile ride home uses about 40% of my full 400Wh battery and I take it in the house and leave it alone until I next use it, this gap could be several weeks, and then charge it back to full before I next set off.

This has worked for me, however as long as you do not deeply discharge your battery too regularly and 30% left should be OK although I would add a bit of charge to it at home before leaving it.

Jonnie

Oct 20, 2019
I know the Yamaha charger is a bit of a lump, but I take mine with me and charge the battery back to full before the ride home.

That way my own 10 mile ride home uses about 40% of my full 400Wh battery and I take it in the house and leave it alone until I next use it, this gap could be several weeks, and then charge it back to full before I next set off.

This has worked for me, however as long as you do not deeply discharge your battery too regularly and 30% left should be OK although I would add a bit of charge to it at home before leaving it.
I am riding Monday / Tuesday early mornings, then Thursday /Friday late afternoon/ evenings. Every week about 70 miles a week. I was doing 2 trips per charge, down to around 30 % each time.

So the battery only sat for 2 days over the week unused or not being charged.

Now... if I go easy and aim for 50 or 60 % use per trip charging for every trip, that should be ok shouldn’t it?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
you can drain it to nothing as the bms will cut it of b4 any damage is done but it will last longer if you can top it up.

my 400w batt is 5 years old now but still works but doubt i could now get 10 miles from it in turbo.

Reactions: Aliddee and Jonnie

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
If you are getting 70% capacity use then no reason to worry about DOD, just charge it up fully a few hours before you need it again. Just don't leave it at 100% for any length of time not in hours but days and weeks on end.

Reactions: Jonnie

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
I’ll leave that to you for now...
you cant open the motor as you will void the warranty but this is worth a watch.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
when you get down to one bar it has way less range than when it is fully charged.

run it flat and you will see what i mean ;)

Jonnie

Oct 20, 2019
when you get down to one bar it has way less range than when it is fully charged.

run it flat and you will see what i mean ;)
Very 400, was quoting power not range though...

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
same thing as when the voltage drops so does the amps so when on the last bar the batts voltage is lower than fully charged.

Jonnie

Oct 20, 2019
Hi all,

Have an issue with my badass box I think.

Just suddenly lost power last week. Battled through the winter almost 2000 miles commuting and the first sign of the sun and shorts and bike says nah, don’t like this.

Power keeps dropping off, random speeds on the integrated computer from 8 to 50 mph when at slow speed. Managed 20 mins into the commute and then 3 times power dropped out. Return journey, isn’t work at all. I cycled home without the box, Christ it felt slow, and all seemed ok on the way home, even with the badass spoke magnet being used.

Changed the battery in the badass, same symptoms. Has to the box doesn’t it?

Spoke it the shop, they agreed to have the box sent in and they will check it out on bike there.

Any other solitons?

Thanks in advance....

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
it could be the connector for the speed sensor going to the motor or the speed sensor it self.

the bad ass dongle will either work or it wont it is just a basic electro magnet.

if the display has any batts also try changing those as can cause errors when they get low on power.

Jonnie

Oct 20, 2019
it could be the connector for the speed sensor going to the motor or the speed sensor it self.

the bad ass dongle will either work or it wont it is just a basic electro magnet.

if the display has any batts also try changing those as can cause errors when they get low on power.

Good shout on the display battery, however, as no issues cycling home with the bike as standard, the speed sensor must be ok?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
does the bike work if you dont use the dongle?