Conditioning a NiMh battery

Ninelives

Pedelecer
Oct 17, 2008
I just recieved a NiMh battery for my Giante Swede E which was described as new, but I suspect has been sitting around on a shop shelf for quite a while as it was in a pretty low state of charge when I checked on delivery with my meter.

To the point, as the weather is pretty bad "snow" I can't condition the battery by going out for a cycle, will the "refresh" function on the charger achieve the same thing as conditioning on the bike ?

Thanks for any info

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The refresh can do it from it's initial full charge, eventually, but it will take several days since the discharge rate is very low and its not as satisfactory. Do make sure you fully charge it first though, don't discharge it from it's part charged state.

Having said that, it will do no harm if you don't do anything at present. Just leave it in a cool place and go through the charge and full discharge on the bike procedure when the weather is more suitable.

Ninelives

Pedelecer
Oct 17, 2008
Thanks for the reply flecc

I almost made a boo boo there, I had already pressed the refresh function thinking a full charge from flat was a good idea, luckily I read your reply within 10mins of pressing the refresh button, I have reset it back to charge ,so hopefully quick enough for no harm to be done. :eek: