Confused Golf Club Decides Money Before Status

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Farleigh Court Golf Club was opened in 1997 by Fuji Leisure, and immediately snobbishly barred entry for bicycles to the quarter mile drive to the club house and restaurant.

It's never been successful, has changed hands and have been promoting functions as the main earner, rather than golf on the below par course.

The latest desperate move for cash is to welcome a wider clientele including cyclists for refreshments. Unfortunately they haven't realised that cyclist entry is still banned. Here's the two signs at the gateway:

Something weird going on with this site! The attached photo has disappeared and this site doesn't permit re-attachment via the icon.

Photo added below on this link and crosslinked to here:

Attachments

Last edited:

carpetbagger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 20, 2007
blackburn
thats the point,you are supposed to leave your bikes chained to the sign therefore still keeping the driveway clear :D

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
I like that old motorcycle symbol. It look like an Ariel Leader

Unknown.jpeg

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
thats the point,you are supposed to leave your bikes chained to the sign therefore still keeping the driveway clear :D
The private road to the clubhouse is too long for that! I don't think they'll get any of this custom, since the clubhouse and restaurant is so far away it can't even be seen from the gateway.

The phone number is on the sign, so perhaps a call will get them to bring the order out to the gate, by bike! :rolleyes:

indalo

Banned
Sep 13, 2009
Herts & Spain
That story is not an uncommon one these days flecc. Many golf clubs, particularly the posh, high-end ones have had to introduce inventive and ingenious ploys to keep cash coming in.

I don't think Sunningdale or Wentworth have a problem but those other, more recently constructed ones with membership lists full of BMW-driving IT execs, all living in their Barratt-built, executive, look-alike homes are struggling. Certainly around these parts, they are.

Back in the old days, when there were lots of Majors, Captains, Brigadiers and such like running the show at posh golf clubs, they at least allowed a few local peasants to play, paying an affordable subscription, under the quaint "artisan member" handle. Today, many of the posh, modern clubs don't have such a facility as they're frequently just money-spinning ventures for people who have no interest in golf whatsoever. Not far from me, there are three clubs whose land is owned by a major landfill contractor. In five years time, once palms have been greased, etc, at least two of those will be gone.

You may remember the TV documentary about Northwood GC a few years ago. That was hugely revealing as the place was in a time warp with such rules as ladies restricted tee times and so on. Some of the interviews with the old buffers were wonderful but the effect of the publicity was pretty far-reaching and for the last couple of years, they have been advertising for members where 10 or 20 years ago, your name would have needed to be on the waiting list for that kind of time before you had any chance of getting in.

Times change and not always for the better.

Indalo

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes, I remember that documentary well Indalo, a television high point. Everything you've observed about golf clubs today is true in this area as well.

In the case of Fuji Leisure though, they very badly misjudged in the choice of location for what was intended to be another of their elite landmark corporate hospitality clubs. The poor location was compounded by the fact of the severe Japanese recession at that time prompting them to cut one third from the construction budget. They ended up with a poorly featured course, mainly in walking distance of no fewer than eight other courses, mostly superior, a couple amongst the best there is.

They failed to reach half the target of 150 members at club opening, and the membership they do have leaves much to be desired. I'm an ex-army sergeant, but I've been shocked at some of the language heard on the course. On one memorable occasion, someone knowing nothing of course etiquette played through without asking and a fight resulted. As I walked on (as a rambler, I don't play golf), the two "golfers" were rolling around on the tee in a full scale violent wrestling match!

Fuji sold out to Surrey Swallow Hotels who immediately did a partial redesign of the course and managed to attract a minor championship event, but it must have failed to impress since there's been no events since.

RoadieRoger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2010
Golf Clubs

They seem short of Members here in S.Wales too ! All sorts of inducements to sign up , years ago they had waiting lists . One of the courses is next to a Cemetary with no more space . Are you thinking what I`m thinking ?
Tillson that picture of the red Ariel Leader brought tears to my eyes .I had a black one from 1962 to 1972 and covered 84,000 miles on it . Before that I had one of the first Ariel Arrows in Barry and did 24,000 miles on that in two years . There are still two Arrows here, but to relive my yoof two years ago I bought a Suzuki 250cc X7 , still a two-stroke twin , but a bit quicker . Some might say a bit too quick for a 72 year old as of tomorrow !

averhamdave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 13, 2009
Happy birthday Roadieroger!

I sold my Honda CB400 yesterday, having decided to hang up my helmet. It will be the first time in 44 years I haven't had a bike with an engine. Its electric motors only now for me!

RoadieRoger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2010
Birthday

Thanks for your birthday wishes Dave . I get pressure from my wife to give up all the time and must admit with 3 powered machines and the Batribike it is sometimes hard to give them all a run each week . On two occasions I have ridden them all in a morning , no wonder the car hardly gets used ! As long as I`m fit I`ll keep going . What year was the CB ? It sounds like a candidate for the Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Club of which I am a Member , having two Classics .