cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk

Scimitar

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 31, 2010
Ireland
Don't waste your time with the naked XT60s, get them with tails already on, from HK. It makes a huge difference to the ease of use.

hech

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 29, 2011
argyll
XT60 connectors are about the best of the bunch but can be a nightmare to solder to 8 or 10awg wire. I even bought a big 100watt soldering iron but it still didnt help much. Then I found some solder with a low melting point of about 175C. This had a high siver content of about 4% and since then I found soldering so much easier and reliable.

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
Powerpole...

Skysurfer

Pedelecer
Oct 31, 2011

Old_Dave

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 15, 2012
Dumfries & Galloway
Have a look at the Neutrik style of plugs & sockets

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jeremy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 25, 2007
Salisbury
Why on earth do you want IP68? That's a shallow submarine connector spec, rated for immersion beyond 1m and is totally OTT for an ebike.

IP65 is fine for bikes (water jet spray from a 1/4" nozzle at 30kPa and 3m from any direction, essentially spraying the thing with a garden hose and narrow nozzle). In fact even IP65 is arguably OTT, IP64 (water splashing from any direction at 80 to 100kPa, a bit like a garden hose sprinkler head)would probably be fine and many ebike connectors stand up just fine in practice with IP ratings lower than this.

shemozzle999

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2009
Hi Old Timer,

For normal current draws I use XT60 and EC3 connectors, both do a fine job, but I prefer the EC3 for ease of assembly. Both are polarized and have +ve and -ve terminal markings.

The plug and socket can be soldered externally to the connector body then pushed into the holder afterwards and if done well it does not need heat shrink sleeving.

Video of EC3 assembly - it shows the connector being held with pliers - what I do is insert the one being soldered into the mating half and hold that instead, it stops the heat from dissipating from the joint - tip! wrap an elastic band around the pliers handle to stop the connector from moving while soldering.

To seal it wipe a thin film of vaseline inside the body before mating the final connection.

HorizonRC.Com How-To: EC3 Connector Installation - YouTube

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

Whatever connectors you get, There's one important thing: It has to be absolutely impossible for the conductors to touch if you bring them together the wrong way round.