Consideration For Other Road Users

C

Cyclezee

People who only ever drive a car, ride a bicycle or a motorcycle don't appreciate what is like to share the public highway with each others mode of transport, how do we rectify this?

You would expect that those that use more than one of the above should have greater consideration.

Obviously cyclists and pedestrians are the most vulnerable, but some times they are their own worst enemy.

I guess education is the only way.

Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes, in a London exercise putting truck drivers on bicycles and cyclists into high truck cabs made them both realise what each others difficulties were. It's changes of attitudes of this sort that can bring about major changes in road safety.

But much can be done by individuals if they would only do some thinking. For example I drive and ride with a set of predetermined user priorities. I always give way to bus and taxi drivers since they are serving the whole community while I'm just serving myself. And pedestrians always get special consideration, simply because they came first and we are all pedestrians.

There's plenty more in my list, but I won't bore you. It's sufficient to say it's why I don't suffer the accidents or injuries that so many others do.

Reactions: Cyclezee

Yamdude

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2013
Somerset
Having worked as a truck driver most of my working life and also being a cyclist, biker and car driver.... i've seen it from most aspects.
You will always get good and bad in all these road users. But a big reason is our stressful lifestyle. Combine that with over congested roads and it will always make some people selfish and impatient.
I don't believe that will change.

C

Cyclezee

Having worked as a truck driver most of my working life and also being a cyclist, biker and car driver.... i've seen it from most aspects.
You will always get good and bad in all these road users. But a big reason is our stressful lifestyle. Combine that with over congested roads and it will always make some people selfish and impatient.
I don't believe that will change.
Hi Yamadude, with your experience and background I would imagine you have more consideration than those who only use one type of 'vehicle".

Reactions: flecc

Yamdude

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2013
Somerset
Hi Yamadude, with your experience and background I would imagine you have more consideration than those who only use one type of 'vehicle".
Well I can see other aspects of road users obviously..... But if i were totally honest, i've been guilty of occasionally losing my rag with other road users or being impatient at times. Very few people are a total saint on the road at all times. There's just too much traffic and too many other road users that can wind each other up.

Its a jungle out there, a jungle of asphalt and some assholes..... if you're a vulnerable road user like a biker or cyclist, best to assume everyone is out to kill you. I find thats the best way to survive.

C

Cyclezee

Well I can see other aspects of road users obviously..... But if i were totally honest, i've been guilty of occasionally losing my rag with other road users or being impatient at times. Very few people are a total saint on the road at all times. There's just too much traffic and too many other road users that can wind each other up.

Its a jungle out there, a jungle of asphalt and some assholes..... if you're a vulnerable road user like a biker or cyclist, best to assume everyone is out to kill you. I find thats the best way to survive.
You haven't met my wife, she is a saint...on the road, non aggressive, observes speed limits, gives way to others, always late:rolleyes:
On the rare occasions that she drives with me in the car, I am relegated to the back seat since the day I grabbed the handbrake when I thought she was going to hit another car:oops:

Yamdude

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2013
Somerset
I dont believe anyone are a 100% perfect driver..... because being human there is always the possibility of making a mistake or having a momentary lack of concentration, it may be unintentional but it happens.
Its vulnerable road users that need to take responsibility for their own safety, that doesn't mean its right that they should have to, but you simply cannot expect all other road users to care about your safety or even be aware of you sometimes.

Lancslass

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 3, 2015
Egerton, BL7 North Bolton, Lancashire
I dont believe anyone are a 100% perfect driver..... because being human there is always the possibility of making a mistake or having a momentary lack of concentration, it may be unintentional but it happens.
Its vulnerable road users that need to take responsibility for their own safety, that doesn't mean its right that they should have to, but you simply cannot expect all other road users to care about your safety or even be aware of you sometimes.
One thing that I noticed before I retired is that the morning rush hour seems to be different to the afternoon rush hour. Drivers seem to be more patient and give way more freely when going to work than when returning home.

Is it because they are tired after a day's work? Maybe they are in less of a rush to get to work and more eager to get back home?

I only drive in busy periods now once every two weeks or so, but I notice it in myself. I just don't have the same patience when going home as I do first thing!

Andy_H

Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2015
The problem with education is that just telling people about safety doesn't work, only by putting people into real life situations will they understand the problems, as flecc mentioned with the London exercise, which I didn't know about but sounds a great idea.

Personally I think this is one area where sensual (as in stimulating the senses) virtual reality should be used, for all people who use the roads, It should be compulsory that all users irrespective of the form of transport should have to complete a number of hours on VR simulation using various modes of transport, by VR I mean the ones with glasses which shield all the outside distractions, and from what I've heard (though never used it myself) the brain perceives it to be real.

just my thoughts.

## edit ## I've been cyclist, motorbike, car, 3 1/2 ton van drive, now e-biker, not driven hgv's though

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Fully agree, and I express that by insisting that I'm a learner driver, like everyone else. There's always the mistake that can be made and something else to learn.

Where losing one's rag is concerned, age definitely helps. The older I get, the more calmly I can deal with situations that arise.

Lancslass

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 3, 2015
Egerton, BL7 North Bolton, Lancashire
It should be compulsory that all users irrespective of the form of transport should have to complete a number of hours on VR simulation using various modes of transport, by VR I mean the ones with glasses which shield all the outside distractions, and from what I've heard (though never used it myself) the brain perceives it to be real.

just my thoughts.
I would agree with that Andy. It could be part of the hazard perception test.

We used to ride motorbikes and like to feel that we have an understanding for the vulnerability that folks on two wheels experience. It certainly made me a better car driver.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
One thing that I noticed before I retired is that the morning rush hour seems to be different to the afternoon rush hour. Drivers seem to be more patient and give way more freely when going to work than when returning home.

Is it because they are tired after a day's work? Maybe they are in less of a rush to get to work and more eager to get back home?

I only drive in busy periods now once every two weeks or so, but I notice it in myself. I just don't have the same patience when going home as I do first thing!
Human nature in part I suppose, not looking forward to the work but looking forward to the relaxation.

And of course the driving is necessitated by the work, so when we finish work, it's almost being cheated that we still have more to do to get home.

Reactions: Lancslass

Emo Rider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 10, 2014
Laws must change to protect vulnerable road users. I have seen videos of divers literally running over cyclist simply because they were there. There is one videoed incident that I am sure some of you have seen. It involves a gentleman on a road bike being run over from behind by a person in a white Range Rover. What bothers me in particular about this one is it very similar to the time I was run over while on a training ride for the last race of the season.

Both of us were to the side of the road with plenty of room to pass, yet both of us were left severely injured because of the incompetence of a driver. In my case, the driver was not charged with anything, even with witnesses to the contrary, because he was able to tell a tale that it was somehow my fault. No video unfortunately.

In the Youtube case, there was video. Even with video evidence, the driver was only charged under the motor vehicle code which was challenged by the biker to no avail. In both cases, I feel, the drivers should have been charged with assault with a deadly weapon. But as was explained to me, and probably the other lad, there is no mechanism under present road laws to enable this to happen. Careless driving is all a driver is ever going to be charged with unless there are changes that protect vulnerable road users.

I feel that car cams should be mandatory as well to help back up present and future laws that protect vulnerable road users. Vulnerable road users should also be able to simply present video evidence of criminal driving and have charges laid. Oh the tickets I could generate to fill the coffers on any given day.

Yamdude

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2013
Somerset

Yes, there could be something in that.

Yamdude

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2013
Somerset
Fully agree, and I express that by insisting that I'm a learner driver, like everyone else. There's always the mistake that can be made and something else to learn.

Where losing one's rag is concerned, age definitely helps. The older I get, the more calmly I can deal with situations that arise.
Yes age definitely helps....... we are nowhere near as headstrong or as reckless as when we were younger.
Its the reason young lads have the highest insurance premiums.

But ageing drivers can bring their own problems due to diminishing cognitive skills. The bad driving of this is not intentional, but they often will not, or cannot, accept it themselves.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Yes age definitely helps....... we are nowhere near as headstrong or as reckless as when we were younger.
You haven't seen me on my pedelec :eek:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
But ageing drivers can bring their own problems due to diminishing cognitive skills. The bad driving of this is not intentional, but they often will not, or cannot, accept it themselves.
Indeed, but I'm determined not to be one of those stubborn fools. They've caused some nasty accidents in my area. During my earlier 70s I kept checking my eyesight for range etc and when it was diminishing in 2012 I got both cataracts fixed. Perversely my eyesight is better now than when I was young, since I was slightly short sighted then.

These days I keep an eye on my reaction times, and when it becomes apparent they are no longer good enough as will surely happen some time, I'll stop driving and use cabs etc. Fortunately I can afford that option, and also have reasonable local bus services too, with one stop a stones throw from my home.

My brother who is almost four years older than me made the same decision a year ago, selling his car.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I congratulate you sir! Here it is licence for life with all that entails in NZ there are medical examinations after 65 or 70 forgotten.

Yamdude

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2013
Somerset
Indeed, but I'm determined not to be one of those stubborn fools. They've caused some nasty accidents in my area. During my earlier 70s I kept checking my eyesight for range etc and when it was diminishing in 2012 I got both cataracts fixed. Perversely my eyesight is better now than when I was young, since I was slightly short sighted then.

These days I keep an eye on my reaction times, and when it becomes apparent they are no longer good enough as will surely happen some time, I'll stop driving and use cabs etc. Fortunately I can afford that option, and also have reasonable local bus services too, with one stop a stones throw from my home.

My brother who is almost four years older than me made the same decision a year ago, selling his car.
My Father was a very good driver with many decades of accident free motoring, he was even a driving instructor for part of his working life.
But in later life he could not accept his failing mental skills and became a danger to other road users. I had a hell of a job to make him finally agree to stop driving. Its now become clear that these failing mental skills were in fact the early stages of dementia.
I just hope this isn't something waiting for me in the future.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Its now become clear that these failing mental skills were in fact the early stages of dementia.
I just hope this isn't something waiting for me in the future.
For your sake I very much hope so too. I've no idea of your age but you obviously have a very alert and capable mind. I have the impression that such a mind coupled with flexibility of thought militates against the incidence of dementia.

At my age i've known a number of people who've suffered dementia, and they've either been relatively inactive mentally and/or inflexible in their attitudes. Perhaps the best known example was Margaret Thatcher, who was famously inflexible and who declined into dementia quite rapidly.