Controller for Bafang 250w hub drive

Pointyhairboss

Just Joined
Aug 2, 2020
Hi everyone,
I have a Roodog Avatar which I am very pleased with and which has helped
me back into cycling after a lengthy absence.

Battery is 36V and I believe that changing to 48V has benefits with regards
to torque and speed which would be useful as i’m not the lightest person.

However the controller only states 36V so I will have to change this.
Could someone recommend the best controller to use as a replacement?

Thanks in advance

Richard

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The Avatar uses an in frame battery is there space for 48v and is the wiring accessible ?

For simplicity the only non OEM controller to go for is the widely used (user friendly) KT with a lcd3 or the lcd4 for a compact display. KT 6 fet models are dual voltage but I would opt for the dual voltage 9 fet model esp if your area is hilly.
Nothing wrong with the 6 fet models but they don't like slow steep climbing with max current applied, if you live in a flat area then the 6 fet models are perfect.

There are two types sensored (sinewave) or unsensored(Sq wave), so check your bikes motor first to see which one. If the motor wire is 8 or 9 wires then it is sinewave.
Some wiring may be necessary depending on connectors and wire sequence/order, if unsure we can guide you in to what needs to go where.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
For controllers and all parts I tend to use these guys now, a pretty comprehensive store, though they aren't the only choice. There are several other places to buy from.
ebike controller,electric bike controller,Sine Wave Controller,24v,36v,48v controller (topbikekit.com)

One can select waterproof or block connectors and choice of controller.
Always check the space as to whether a controller will fit the 6 fet are the smallest ones, the advantage of KT is one can dial down the current in the settings for your requirements. The large 9 fet models have greater current of 22 or 25a.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Have a look to see how much room you have for the controller. Your present one is probably 15A - check the label. A 17A 36v onw will give you 20% more torque. 20A controller would give even more, but we don't know if your battery can handle that much.

Heavy people have to be careful about how much current they use, especially if they step up the voltage to 48v. I would stick to 15A at 48v, which will be 30% more torque than what you presently have.

Increasing the voltage is better if you need more speed. If you just want torque, current is the thing to change.

You can also solder the shunt in your controller to get more torque. That costs nothing.