controller swaps

muckymits

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 31, 2011
I am currently helping a bike shop friend out fixing some electric bike for him, would just like to ask , am I correct in saying that a cheaper generic controller from say Ebay would be ok to use on most bikes as long as its correct voltage/power/ brushed etc?

I have almost 30 years repairing trucks/buses/vans/cars etc so know my electrics fairly well. I have a Giant Suede sat here with a gammy controller (driver-Giant speak) and its looking a bit expensive to fix.

Dave

banbury frank

Banned
Jan 13, 2011
Hi muckymits

I would love to see bike shops repairing electric bikes But I think It is not going to be that easy I would not try repairing a e bike with a brushed motor as it will be old and very heavy with lead acid battery's and motors needing new brushes . PAST it I am afraid the cost off labor to expensive

As for the more modern motors with internal gears again the labor costs striping and replacing worn gears then the battery is at the end off its life not worth repairing

I would look at buying a new kit from BMS in china and a battery and retro fitting

to the bike as a complete refurbishment with a one year warranty

Bafang QSWXH 250W Rear Driving E-Bike Kit - BMSBATTERY

Battery Rack mount 10 ah 36 volt can buy larger 15 ah 36 volt for longer range

http://www.bmsbattery.com/36v/162-36v-10ah-lithium-ion-alloy-shell-ebike-battery-pack.html

Total cost Kit and battery delivered to the UK £300

All the labor is easy for a bike shop and if they keep spare parts long term service to there customers

good bike shops must get into converting bikes

customer comes into shop and says interested in an electric bike

Reply no problem Sir /or madam please pick out your bike and we will convert it

Frank

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The Suede needs a brushless controller with Hall effect pedelec sensor connections. I believe it's an 8 lead system, 3 heavy phase current wires and five thin sensing wires, all to the controller, but check to make sure it has got 8 and not 3 wires only. The controller should be the right connection number type to satisfy the customer with the way it works.

You are taking some risks though, its best to use the correct part from Giant to ensure the customer's satisfaction and give them a properly supported part warranty.

banbury frank

Banned
Jan 13, 2011
Hi Fleec

That is OK new Giant controller BUT battery is at the end off its life now add up the cost off new controller + battery from Giant + labor

Or Bodge in a new Generic controller the battery will fail soon

So spend spend spend end up with old unreliable Electric bike

Frank

Reactions: Dctyke

muckymits

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 31, 2011
Yes flecc its an 8 and Ive checked it out(made a sensor checker which I think I found on here) and appears to be ok. Bike was a trade-in so looking to use as loan/hire/tempter, nice bike but not worth spending too much on it.

Frank would be nice to fit kits for people but would start getting them in and asking to fit them to the cheap Tesco/Halfords stuff, far too dodgy.:eek:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
As you say, not worth spending too much as they were only £600 new. It wasn't a bad e-bike and we still have a member using one all the time, but the NiMh batteries and the charger were poor unfortunately, both specced down the the bike's low price for a 36 volt model. Worth patching if battery and charger are ok, but not if either need replacing.

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
Generic controller would be fine. Also you can use either a controller designed for hall sensors (the 8 wires mentioned previously) as your motor has these or you could use a sensor less controller just using the three heavy wires. Take a look on EBay and lookup seller e-crazyman he ships from the UK in about 5 working days.

Edit: if he doesn't have exactly what you are looking for send him a message with your requirements...you may have to change connectors to match the existing ones.

Last edited:

fishingpaul

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2007
You are correct a cheaper generic controller would be ok,some ebay sellers can probably help with the possible colour coding for your motor when changing to a generic controller,the colour match of the 5 hall sensor wires are often different.the 3 phase wires can also be different,if you can find somebody who has posted the correct colour combinations for a sanyo motor it should be easy, otherwise it would be a real headache trying to find the right colour combinations.