Conversion costs

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
I just wonder what slimy rock was certain person hiding under for last decade or two, to think it is OK to call another person a retard.

i called him a retard because the op wanted a bike that can do 30mph not to get monad at buy some twat that has offered no reply to his needs and wants a pop at me, i dont care had it for ten years and i find it funny tbh.

im braking the law and i really dont care now wheres me spliff :p

lenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 3, 2023
"The first record of the word "retarded" in relation to developmental delay was in 1895. The term retarded was used to replace terms like idiot, moron, and imbecile. This was because it was not a derogatory term at that time. However, by the 1960s, the term became a word used to insult someone. "

Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
If it takes weeks and numerous reports, then they don't do a good job, do they?
I don't know where you get that idea from. The last two I saw were abruptly dismissed at the first offence of its type, which was deemed bad enough.

Behaviours that don't meet that standard are not acted upon, no matter how many times reported. That's the light touch, not acting for dictators.

Reactions: HelenJ

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
I don't know where you get that idea from.
From what Nelah wrote

In the last few years we did have one objectionable user north of the boarder who was outright offensive/abusive with his language on the forum to a few of us who dissagreeded with them, generally he was out to cause trouble anyway. It took a few weeks of reporting by senior fourm members and maybe another one or two but they did in the end ban him.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
From what Nelah wrote
Thank you. I don't know who Nealh was referring to or know of that particular dismissal. Such rare dismissals are not openly notified, those lost just disappear. I only know of the other two since one of them was known to me through living not far away.

Bogmonster666

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2022
Weigh half as much at up to four times the speed, very relevant.

I fully agree that in general use disc brakes are far superior to rim brakes. but I disagree with stupid people who constantly give the impression that that rim brakes are inadequate at all but the lowest speeds.

They are perfectly ok at the common lycra's speeds, including on heavier pedelecs, and although inferior to hydraulic disc brakes, are far superior to the various types of cycle hub brakes still in common use.
I agree. My tin donkey has rim brakes and whist I would be happier with disc brakes, rim brakes work adequately for me.

I would not buy a new bike with rim brakes, but I'm not going to ditch my exiting, perfectly functional bike with rim brakes.

I often hit speeds of up to ~24 mph on downhill sections, tend to ease back at this point though. Any faster starts to feel too fast for all sorts of reasons.

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
I agree. My tin donkey has rim brakes and whist I would be happier with disc brakes, rim brakes work adequately for me.

I would not buy a new bike with rim brakes, but I'm not going to ditch my exiting, perfectly functional bike with rim brakes.

I often hit speeds of up to ~24 mph on downhill sections, tend to ease back at this point though. Any faster starts to feel too fast for all sorts of reasons.
It's not only about which brake type is more powerful, and offroad areas there is more data available, with riders today consistently choosing powerful 4 pot brakes and 200/200 or 220/200 rotors. They are the ones pulling on the levers, so they are the best people to judge whats working for them.
Rim brakes on the position on the wheel are the outside, which is effectively a24" or whatever rotor, more torque is applied kind of(you know what I mean)

Where disc excel is consistent performance, and its just as well we all live in California where it never rains, or snows and theres no mud... no hang on. We in the UK get lots of rain, lots of mud, in fact we're known for it.
Having a heavy bike, and lets face it gentlemen, we aint no 60kg racing snakes its a lot for the brakes to cope with, especially when the braking parts are soaking wet. And it has been shown and proven beyond any sort of doubt that rim brakes suffer badly when the system is wet. Disc on the other hand generate quite a lot of heat which arrives quickly, so sheds dampness off the braking surface and while there might be an initial lack, that vanishes very quickly and full braking power is achieved.
I, in the wet anyway, engage my brakes slightly to first clear off any sitting water, but i have the power that if i crank on the levers the nm against the rotor is going to stop me when i want it to.

So for consistent braking in the conditions we in the UK face, discs will always be superiour to rim brakes.

This test show how disc seriously out perform rim brakes in the wet, and it is al round performance we need to consider in the equation. Its all very well pointing out int he dry they are similar, then sticking your fingers in your ears and saying la la la la when the subject changes to wet performance.

Because as 365 users, we're going to face all conditions, and thats why we need our brakes to be consistent.

Keep in mind this test is conducted with the very best rim brakes available, Not afterthought cheap rim brakes and flimsy levers, and high quality road orientated rubber tyres, not cheapo plasticy ones or pseudo offroad knobbly ones that looked good in the picture.

Wet performance as you can see puts you under that bus, or across the bonnet of that impatient car

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
20240218_231901[1].jpg
:p

Reactions: MikelBikel

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
everything has been upgraded bar frame forks and brakes motor is a custom build from ebike motor center cx gen2.

12spd eagle multi shift installed and not fell of yet :D

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
was 2 quid from china free pat :p

Bogmonster666

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2022
I've owned my bicycle for roughly 30 years, I bought it 2nd hand when I was at university at age ~21. For most of that time it had cantilever brakes. It's now got v brakes. Due to some miracle I've never fallen off the bike, not once. I've not been run over by a car, bus, lorry. Never lost control on a downhill. Now I've added an additional 10kg of weight with a kit I feel I'm pushing my luck. I'm not going any faster than when I was a young whiper snapper but I'm a bit heavier, eyesight is worse. It's been good knowing you all.

Edit: I should not have made light of dementia, it was bad form and clumsy. No offense intended. I should know better as I have mental health problems and don't like it when people make careless comments about mental health. I've deleted the inappropriate comment.

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
I've owned my bicycle for roughly 30 years, I bought it 2nd hand when I was at university at age ~21. For most of that time it had cantilever brakes. It's now got v brakes. Due to some miracle I've never fallen off the bike, not once. I've not been run over by a car, bus, lorry. Never lost control on a downhill. Now I've added an additional 10kg of weight with a kit I feel I'm pushing my luck. I'm not going any faster than when I was a young whiper snapper but I'm a bit heavier, eyesight is worse, dementia has kicked in. It's been good knowing you all.
speed should match ur age :p

• :D

lenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 3, 2023
dementia has kicked in. It's been good knowing you all.

"men prescribed erectile dysfunction drugs were 18% less likely to develop Alzheimer's disease years later. "

MikelBikel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2017
Ireland
I

"men prescribed erectile dysfunction drugs were 18% less likely to develop Alzheimer's disease years later. "
If it's Uni Collage Loondon then probably the reverse is true? Pharma funded by??

Not that I would know what the little blue triangular thingies even look like, much less do! :)

https://www.ucl.ac.uk › joint-research-office › news › 2021 › jun › mixed-oxfordpfizer-vaccine-schedules-generate-robust-immune-response-against...
Bingo, Kerching! U don't have to dig far to find paydirt.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I

If it's Uni Collage Loondon then probably the reverse is true? Pharma funded by??

Not that I would know what the little blue triangular thingies even look like, much less do! :)

https://www.ucl.ac.uk › joint-research-office › news › 2021 › jun › mixed-oxfordpfizer-vaccine-schedules-generate-robust-immune-response-against...
Bingo, Kerching! U don't have to dig far to find paydirt.
Yeah, they're definitely lying. I tried it and it didn't work.