Conversion for daily 20 mile commute

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
Move the assist level to 0 before stopping and it won't take off without you.
My problem was when I started pushing the bike and never noticed that the pedals were turning and it took off!
Luckily have a kill switch fitted

jake369

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 6, 2017
Sussex
I had a bit of a longer ride today and got used to the PAS. I can see it being a bit hairy at top power in busy places. I think I have got used to it and stopped casually turning the pedals just coasting up to things! I'm on the flat most of the time where I noticed the power gauge showing hardly anything, on the way back against the wind it was showing around midway. Looking forward to the commute tomorrow morning

jake369

Jan 6, 2017
Sussex
It has been a while and 1000 miles later. I thought an update would be good.

With all those miles, no problems at all apart from this weekend I noticed the rear cassette had come loose. This just needed me to remove the wheel and tighten it up (I actually took the chance to take it off and clean up before putting back and tightening up). I'm not sure why that came loose, probably nothing related to the motor and more me forgetting to tighten it up before!

So 20 miles a day along the seafront, with some seriously strong head winds at time. Cruising at 18mph while peddling with power gauge never showing more than 1 or 2 segments. Against the wind quite often the power gauge shows all segments and it is working hard while I peddle to keep to 13mph. I'm never putting too much effort into peddling which means I am wearing normal clothes to work and feel fine all week (ready for cycling on my other bike at the weekends for fun!).

Weather wise, before I probably would had caught the train for about 3-4 weeks which at £50 a week means I have paid off half the cost of the kit.

I've been pleased that on the odd slow ride with the children at the weekend I have not used any power setting and the bike is perfectly useable with no assistance (should it fail on the way to/from work then I would just continue a bit slower but without worry).

I'm using around 5volts per day according to the display, so maybe a smaller battery would had been fine - but I'm happy that with plenty of initial capacity it means a longer life as the battery degrades over time.

To conclude... very happy with the kit and experience. Here's to another 1000 miles

D

Deleted member 4366

Did you sort out your display. If not, there's something else you can do:
Get a small piece of 1.6mm (16g) aluminium sheet;
Dremmel out a hole exactly the same size as your stem hole (1 1/8");
shape the outside to however you want;
drill two holes for the LCD fixing;
mount it over the stem using the stem cap to hold it on.

I've done that on a few bikes. Unfortunately, I don't have any photos, but here's a similar one I made for a CA:

Same idea for a wattmeter:

I did have a photo of a LCD;

jake369

Jan 6, 2017
Sussex
I didn't look into moving my display or controls as I got used to where they are.

I tend to keep the power on PAS6, turning it down to 1 when I get to a tricky path over lock gates at the harbor (I don't want to suddenly zoom off there!) and I didn't bother sorting out a brake cutoff switch as I got used to changing my behaviour coasting up to traffic lights! I've kept the throttle fitted although haven't really used it.

I'm happy with 18mph, although I notice people quoting they are doing 20mph. I'm only 10 stone myself but I do carry work luggage so that seems all fine. To stay relaxed, I'm happy at the speed it goes, plus the power gauge is suggesting the battery is hardly ever loaded on a normal day.

The biggest bonus is that I leave for work 10 minutes later in the morning, helped by the reliable constant speed and no need to recover when I reach work!