Conversion for my sister

• Thread starter Deleted member 4366
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 4366

She can't keep up with her husband and son, so I added a motor to her bike. The whole kit is only about 3.5kg, so not much weight to add to the bike, which is probably now about 15 or 16kg total. It certainly feels very light.

201 rpm 36v Q100 front motor (£100), 14A (adjustable) Brainpower controller from Aliexpress (£40), Home-made battery (£100), charger £25, rim, spokes, saddle bag, speed sensor, PAS and throttle about £45, so about £310 to convert.

forks are steel, so OK for a front motor.

Maybe someone can get some ideas from this:

Caroles's bike.jpg

Caroles's bike2.jpg

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Good job she's got a clever brother :cool:.

• Agree
Reactions: TZC and Woosh

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
NEWS FLASH D8veh seen using mechanical rim brakes :eek:

Seriously, another tidy job though, I assume the contoller's in the bottle?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
how about a shopping list and links to where to get them?

D

Deleted member 4366

I know you're not being serious, but just to make it clear. I have nothing against rim brakes on a slow light-weight bike with a relatively light rider, but its a different matter when you have a 20 mph 20 kg plus bike and heavy rider.

Given the choice, I'd always choose hydraulic disc brakes on any of my own bikes. Whilst crappy rim brakes, like on the bike above, can be adequate. Brakes is one thing that really needs to be best, especially if you've already compromised your tyre grip by fitting Marathon Plus for puncture resistance.

neopot3864

Just Joined
Mar 14, 2018
Hampshire
Nice job, have you seen the Cytronex C1 kit? There was recently a review in A to B on this kit, they reckon this is by far the best power assistance kit on the market, and perhaps the best electric bike solution full stop. They even predict we will be looking back nostalgically at the heavy German electric bikes of today, now we have lightweight and precisely tailored travel solutions... Worth having a look I think!
(links removed by admin)

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Dislike
Reactions: RobF and Woosh
D

Deleted member 4366

Nice job, have you seen the Cytronex C1 kit? There was recently a review in A to B on this kit, they reckon this is by far the best power assistance kit on the market, and perhaps the best electric bike solution full stop. They even predict we will be looking back nostalgically at the heavy German electric bikes of today, now we have lightweight and precisely tailored travel solutions... Worth having a look I think!

Check out the A to B review - http://www.atob.org.uk/product/a-to-b-118-digital-edition/
Here's a link to their site - https://www.cytronex.com/
Yes I did. My kit cost 1/3 of the Cytronex one, has a better control system, will probably be more reliable and will be easier and cheaper to fix if anything goes wrong. It's also lighter than the Cytronex.

Cytronex have always had bad luck - or is it bad judgement. The first kit had the Tongxin motor which couldn't handle any power and broke as soon as you turned the power up to the miserable maximum amount allowed, then they sold a derivative of the notoriously unreliable Keyde kit. Now they have a proven motor, but with a diabolical bespoke control system.

Take my advice: By all means do everything you can to make a lightweight system, but keep to proven technology and a modular design principle for easy servicing.

Also, you need to change your advertising, "There is no lighter electric bicycle".
You can't claim the lightest ebike when the Xiongda kit is lighter:
20170716_184123.jpg

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Yes I did. My kit cost 1/3 of the Cytronex one, has a better control system, will probably be more reliable and will be easier and cheaper to fix if anything goes wrong. It's also lighter than the Cytronex.
I did like their pedal sensor. Hope that other people should take on the idea.
BTW, I wouldn't trust that cabletie.

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
She can't keep up with her husband and son, so I added a motor to her bike. The whole kit is only about 3.5kg, so not much weight to add to the bike, which is probably now about 15 or 16kg total. It certainly feels very light.

201 rpm 36v Q100 front motor (£100), 14A (adjustable) Brainpower controller from Aliexpress (£40), Home-made battery (£100), charger £25, rim, spokes, saddle bag, speed sensor, PAS and throttle about £45, so about £310 to convert.

forks are steel, so OK for a front motor.

Maybe someone can get some ideas from this:

View attachment 23747

View attachment 23748
It's only that cheap when you exclude shipping cost and customs isn't it? For someone wanting it from scratch, price may double or you know a trick?

D

Deleted member 4366

It's only that cheap when you exclude shipping cost and customs isn't it? For someone wanting it from scratch, price may double or you know a trick?
Those prices are what I actually paid, including shipping. Shipping was free on the controller. The motor was a bare motor and I bought it with other stuff, so shipping cost was low. £100 was an estimate, but I reckon I actually paid about £80 for it. It's price today if you bought it on it's own including shipping is exactly £100. The LG battery cells came from Ebay. The bottle came from Aldi, the BMS from Aliexpress and the rest of the stuff from Ebay. All costs are included.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: cwah

Rinkydinky

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 17, 2018
GB
That's a really nice conversion, very well done. I bet she is delighted.

Sent from my SGP771 using Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 4366

That's a really nice conversion, very well done. I bet she is delighted.

Sent from my SGP771 using Tapatalk
She's a woman. They don't see these things quite the way we do. She seemed happy enough when she was trying it out last weekend, but I bet it hasn't been out of the garage since.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
She's a woman. They don't see these things quite the way we do.
That's because it's not a tumble dryer or washing machine:oops:.

CaptainCrash71

Pedelecer
Mar 3, 2018
County Durham
Can I be cheeky and ask, is the battery in the bottle or in the bag. Also, what size/configuration is the battery, I'm thinking of making mine discreet but was wondering how you managed such a neat finish.