conversion kit /controller for 9 pin motor connector

Lazaros_x

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 18, 2020
Hi all! I had my E-bike stolen Which was a b-twin tilt E500. However, the motor wheel was with me for flat tyre repair, so I was left with only the motor. Having another foldable bike i am thinking to convert it to an pedelec, however it seems impossible to find a controller that fits the 9-pin cable that my motor has. Any suggestion with kits or workarounds? I have electrical engineering background and I could experiment with a couple of things :) Thank you very much in advance!

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
You have to at least help us find something by showing us pics of the motor connector or do we just guess at what you might have ?

Lazaros_x

May 18, 2020
Hey, thanks for the response! You are right, noone is expected to know each bike model! So what I’ve left is a 250W brushless motor which was originally connected to a 24V battery, 7.8 Ah electric assistance controlled by pedalling . The connector is as seen in the picture. Do you need more specific info? I am not an expert so I might miss something. :)

Attachments

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Bad luck on that and good luck with getting it sorted. It is common enough to see queries about 2nd hand bicycles where the seller had mysteriously 'lost' the charger, and maybe battery; but this is the first I have heard of a theft of ebike without the motor.

Reactions: Lazaros_x

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Hey, thanks for the response! You are right, noone is expected to know each bike model! So what I’ve left is a 250W brushless motor which was originally connected to a 24V battery, 7.8 Ah electric assistance controlled by pedalling . The connector is as seen in the picture. Do you need more specific info? I am not an expert so I might miss something. :)
Also a side on pic of said connector, any name at all on the connector ?
Certainly not a standard 9 pin Julet connector so as Scott has linked to don't just go and buy any old controller. A bit more searching needs to be done, the connector will have been fitted at the factory any idea of hub brand.

Lazaros_x

May 18, 2020
Bad luck on that and good luck with getting it sorted. It is common enough to see queries about 2nd hand bicycles where the seller had mysteriously 'lost' the charger, and maybe battery; but this is the first I have heard of a theft of ebike without the motor.
i know right? :( In fact i also had the battery and charger which I kept always with me but I managed to quickly sell them before I got the idea of trying this..The thief stole an e-bike with no motor, no back wheel and no battery..

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
It's surprising what people will nick, probably stripped down now for all useful parts or a nicked wheel has been fitted to use.

Lazaros_x

May 18, 2020
Thanks for links and help! So basically these controllers could fit but I only need to get a male to male cable since my motor and the controler have both female ends..

Lazaros_x

May 18, 2020
Also a side on pic of said connector, any name at all on the connector ?
Certainly not a standard 9 pin Julet connector so as Scott has linked to don't just go and buy any old controller. A bit more searching needs to be done, the connector will have been fitted at the factory any idea of hub brand.
Its not easy to see but the motor cable writes either “HULONC” or “HULONG”. From a bit of search it seems that its rather the second one. And then on the motor DEC8R24V250W. Not so easy to spot on the web..

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
That Hulong motor cable is a specific oem type only by the looks of it and certainly not compatible with any of the nine pin Julet types around.
You can try contacting them to see if you can get motor to controller cable

Or chop that one off and fit a nine pin Julet cable so that it can be used with nearly most controllers available. Other wise forget it and start all over again.

Lazaros_x

May 18, 2020
That Hulong motor cable is a specific oem type only by the looks of it and certainly not compatible with any of the nine pin Julet types around.
You can try contacting them to see if you can get motor to controller cable

Or chop that one off and fit a nine pin Julet cable so that it can be used with nearly most controllers available. Other wise forget it and start all over again.
Thanks for the advise! I'll see what I can do and post if I have any news! Thanks everyone for the responses!

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Lazaros - did you have any joy with sorting your problem?
You can get a matching cable here, but you have to cut off the connector on the other end and solder the wires to a normal controller, otherwise you have to buy everything from Decathlon:

Ecobibe

Just Joined
Nov 1, 2022
I got a Riverside 500e E.bike without battery and controller, but rear motor was still there. To make it working again, I install a controller and a battery. The motor cable (Hulong type) was also not there, so I re engineer the wiring between motor and controller: see attached drawing

Attachments

DutchEbiker

Just Joined
Apr 19, 2023
Try to repair a Qwic E-bike (Dutch oem brand) with the same Hulong 9 pin motor cable connector. But unfortunately the Decathlon UK does not ship to the Netherlands. So is there a way or place where I can order a cable like that. With shipment abroad.
And thanx @Ecobibe for the pdf. It helped me a lot. To figure out what is wrong with this E-bike. Motor seems ok. But the odd thing is that the Hall sensors only give a signal back if I spin the wheel backwards. Not in the normal riding direction?
Or is this normal.

MTB-Espana

Aug 4, 2021
I got a Riverside 500e E.bike without battery and controller, but rear motor was still there. To make it working again, I install a controller and a battery. The motor cable (Hulong type) was also not there, so I re engineer the wiring between motor and controller: see attached drawing
Hi, can you tell me what battery and controller you used to make this work, and did you replace the display as well?