Conversion kit for bakfiets cargo bike - which would you choose?

utilitycyclist

Just Joined
Mar 23, 2018
Cambridge
Hi all

I am hoping to convert our Workcycles KR8 bakfiets cargo bike. We use it daily to haul 3 kids around, so we need a very reliable piece of kit that is not too noisy and feels very natural (wind on my back sort of thing rather than a moped!).

We are happy to go with either a front hub motor or a mid motor (a rear hub motor is not an option as we'd like to keep our 8 speed IGH).

Which conversion kit would you use in this situation?

I quite like the Pendix system (£1500) but it got a bad review here but other cargo bike manufacturers are going with this system so it must be unto the job... It's quite slick looking.

I like the retro look of the Stokemonkey but it is throttle controlled so doesn't have a natural feel, and it would be a harder install. However, I like the simplicity of the system, but perhaps it is more suited to a longtail cargo bike where you could add a torque sensor.

I am keeping an eye on the Swytch kit but it appears a bit of a gamble as in there is no data about reliability?

The Heinzmann hub drives are up to the job from what I understand but are very expensive (£1750).

Thanks in advance.

D

Deleted member 4366

You can make your own Stoke Monkey arrangement very cheaply and better by using any rear hub-motor you want mounted on a delf-made bracket, and a freewheeling crank-set that you can get from Cyclone and possibly from Eclipse Bikes in UK, who were agents. The only problem with any crank-drive system is whether you have a standard bottom bracket.

AndrewJ

Pedelecer
Apr 12, 2013
I've hauled a trailer around with up to 80kg load, using a TSDZ2 motor for 3 years; it's a torque sensor crank drive. It works with a 68mm BB. I've tried the motor on two 3 wheel recumbents and one 4 wheeler; whilst it's a pedal assist, there are kits with a throttle; useful if one is injured or starting from a standstill up a hill to get going again; might come in handy when riding a cargo bike (not very often but useful if you need it).

D

Deleted member 4366

Any crank-drive will work, though you'll have to get rid of the chain guard. They all work without a throttle.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Reactions: Woosh

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk