Conversion kit for my Brompton

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
I'd say that my Bosch-powered Cube would do just that on the Sport or Turbo setting the instant pressure is applied to the pedals and thereafter. With CS there is a delay before the power kicks in making uphill starts trickier than with TS. There is the caveat that I am not disabled, so can't really relate to the experience.
I agree about the delay at startup on cadence sensing drives and the issue on hill starts. Also that relatively little effort is required in Turbo mode to keep things going; nevertheless some effort is still required (around 1/4 to 1/5 of total depending which torque sensed model).

I have suggested before that it would be helpful for torque sense models to have an option to provide power based only on pedal turning without requiring pedal pressure. This would then give the best of both worlds.

I agree Warwick re the CS sensor. My experience on my wifes Seago is that there seems to be a slight but awkward delay in the pedal turning to the application of power. The pedals just act like a switch but there is no consideration as to how fast or slow they are turning. Also the 5 speed/power settings are too severe. This makes negotiating bollards or crossing road junctions quite difficult. If I electrify my Brompton I would want a more gradual and smooth application of the power assistance which i would hope the TS sensor and associated electronics would provide. Perhaps this is something that can only be achieved with a crank based motor system? To be fair I have not tried the Brompton Electric yet.
Does the Seago have a speed controller rather than a current controller? Apart from the lack of help with uphill starts I've never had issues with negotiating awkward bits with our XF07 and cadence sensor ... though negotiating does rely on the break sensors.

Torque sensors are more common on crank drive bikes, but they are available on hub drives. https://wooshbikes.co.uk/?tskit

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
My torque sensor kit with seat post mount small frog battery on the Brompton:

LCD on the handlebars:

and how it's folded:

To fit the TS kit, you will have to replace the bottom bracket with a new one 127mm axle (supplied).
That's the only difficulty.
I will post pictures of the cadence sensor kit over the weekend.

Last edited:

Greenrun

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 13, 2019
I agree about the delay at startup on cadence sensing drives and the issue on hill starts. Also that relatively little effort is required in Turbo mode to keep things going; nevertheless some effort is still required (around 1/4 to 1/5 of total depending which torque sensed model).

I have suggested before that it would be helpful for torque sense models to have an option to provide power based only on pedal turning without requiring pedal pressure. This would then give the best of both worlds.

Does the Seago have a speed controller rather than a current controller? Apart from the lack of help with uphill starts I've never had issues with negotiating awkward bits with our XF07 and cadence sensor ... though negotiating does rely on the break sensors.

Torque sensors are more common on crank drive bikes, but they are available on hub drives. https://wooshbikes.co.uk/?tskit
To be honest im not sure . Its a 36v Bafang 8fun rear hub motor with 5 LED power settings options. It does not have a throttle but i guess it would be more agile if it had one. Looking at the Woosh TS kit im wondering if that TS crank would retrofit onto the Seago by way of trying the TS arrangement.?

Julie

Pedelecer
Jul 30, 2014
Gainsborough England
That little battery mounted in the frame would be good, I’m assuming you cannot “lock” the frame together when it’s folded with that seat post battery?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I have a confession... I went for a test ride this morning, my Brompton was fitted with the new controller made for the Q70 328RPM... derestricted. It was so easy to hit 20mph in near silence.
I am very pleased how the electronics performs.
I quickly put the speed limiter back to where it was.

Here is a picture of the cskit for the Brompton.
Note the ridiculously small controller inside the phone holder.
The electronics is already sorted but the look is still work in progress.
If you know a smart looking phone holder small enough for the controller, please let me know.
Also, I am after a cover for the ugly black battery.
Maybe a woolly hat?