Convert a Kona Cinder Cone to an electric bike; please help!

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Hello Scott, a great trip and climbing had by the sounds of things, I'm glad your choice of kit worked out well. Being able to have a test ride albeit though brief managed to give you an inkling of its possible capabilities.

Scott_J

Pedelecer
Jan 27, 2015
Yes, thanks Neil ;)

and thanks to Michael for help with the motor also.

I wouldn't rate the Eastway as a good bike for conversion though, as it is pretty skittish in its original form, never mind fitting a motor to it! The tyres have been changed to something a bit wider to soak up potholes and the SRAM X5 rear mech is now in the bin.

It didn't work properly before the Bafang was fitted, and it sure as hell didn't want to play when the motor was fitted! :mad: It crunched into gear with a vengeance, and slipped and jumped around all over the shop. Then it got a slight knock and only worked in five of the ten sprockets available (which is understandable). Alas, it's at the lower end of the SRAM range, but it's now history on this bike! :p

I can see why rear suspension is best for a pedelec now, or maybe I'll get a suspension post for future use! ;)

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Very interesting thread with heaps of useful information and well done to your better half for the Alp!