Convert Single speed Specialized into Pedelec?

tapash

Pedelecer
Apr 28, 2015
How easy and practical to convert a lightweight single speed/fixie bike to an ebike? What are the advantages & disadvantages? I am aiming to keep the weight as less as possible thus this approach...

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It's practical, but if a fixie probably best to only have throttle control to help avoid the feeling of your legs being driven at times with some pedelec types which could be unpleasant. Personally I think a single speed with freewheel would be better for being comfortable with the combination of motor drive and pedalling.

tapash

Pedelecer
Apr 28, 2015
It's practical, but if a fixie probably best to only have throttle control to help avoid the feeling of your legs being driven at times with some pedelec types which could be unpleasant. Personally I think a single speed with freewheel would be better for being comfortable with the combination of motor drive and pedalling.
Thank You.
I have one freewheel in mind, Fitting a Oxydrive 13AH model, would it be a overkill? considering its a road bike? Maximum width of tyre i can fit would be limited.. isnt it?

Rear frame dropout/rear spacing of this bike I am talking about is 120. I didnt see any reference guide about this in oxydrive website though.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I was thinking of a front hub motor conversion. That 120 mm is too narrow for most motors in the rear, they generally need 135 mm, but that's with a derailler set of sprockets, so without that and leaving off the odd spacer/washer might trim that width need slightly. Rear frames can often be stretched to some extent too.

I can't say on the tyre width without knowing the bike, they vary quite a lot. Sometimes the height to the fork crown is a tyre size limiter too, not just the width.

tapash

Pedelecer
Apr 28, 2015
I was thinking of a front hub motor conversion. That 120 mm is too narrow for most motors in the rear, they generally need 135 mm, but that's with a derailler set of sprockets, so without that and leaving off the odd spacer/washer might trim that width need slightly. Rear frames can often be stretched to some extent too.

I can't say on the tyre width without knowing the bike, they vary quite a lot. Sometimes the height to the fork crown is a tyre size limiter too, not just the width.
Its specialized Langster.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Its specialized Langster.
I don't know that personally, but from the illustrations it's not the most suitable for conversion, very much an all-out dedicated fixie. The blind front fork end isn't ok for mounting a hub motor and the tyre size is likely to be somewhat restricted at both ends.

So either a rear hub motor if one can be found to fit that 120mm, or alternatively if the bottom bracket is fairly standard, a crank motor kit.

My knowledge on what's available in those two types is limited, but hopefully others will know some that suit.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
beautiful bike but not easy to convert with that flip flop rear hub and narrow fork:

mfj197

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2014
Guildford
In many ways a fixie would make a good lightweight conversion as you get the electric assistance at lower speeds partially negating the need for lower gears. However I'd have to agree with others - the Langster doesn't look an easy conversion. Also if you're looking to keep the weight down (good idea on a bike like that) I'd steer clear of the Oxydrive kit which, whilst being good, is definitely not a lightweight. It weighs more than half of your entire bike, at over 4kg. I'd probably look at something like a Q75 in the forks for that application, although yours are carbon (but that might not be a problem with a Q75).

Michael

tapash

Pedelecer
Apr 28, 2015
Thank you all for your input. First of all, looks like i have to forget about Langster.

Re: Q75 kit seems not available in UK. So need to forget about that too.

From the begining i was not so inclined using the conversion kit, due to the complexity of it. And after reading baseman's thread I am glad that I have started this post.

I guess I better off buying a readymade bike... But thank you all in this forum. You Guys have been the most helpful :) I am glad I bumped into this forum.