Converting a new Calibre Two Cubed to an Ebike

Jon Matthews

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2018
Hi,

I bought a mountain bike a few months ago and have been thinking about converting it to an Ebike. I've never done this before, but I'm a qualified Professional Electrical Engineer, I also know my way around electronics and battery technology. I also have a reasonable tool kit, but not enough to deal with bottom brackets or sproket removal, just yet. I'm not very fit, Im heavy 100Kg+ and in my late 50's. Taking into account my stats, how would you go about converting my mountain bike? Link to the bike here: https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/calibre-two-cubed-mountain-bike-p433553 Thanks in advance

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Besides riding the bike what is your intended use terrain wise ?

The most simple kit to fit is a crank drive , hub drives require dropout work and fitting torque arms (T/A's) to help resist hubs rotating in said dropouts. If you don't fit T/A's the hub may well twist ripping out or damaging the cable which are a bugger to try and repair.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jon Matthews

Jon Matthews

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2018
Hi Nealh,

Trails and tracks in the woods, I was definitely going for crank drive like my Cube. Nothing extreme like crazy downhill, jut fun in the mud off road. Thanks for the reply.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Try Woosh for UK kit or Brighton ebikes, if you opt for throttle best to fit one brake cut out to the rear.
If you like the torque drive of the Cube try tdzs 48v kit from Woosh other wise BBS or GSM are pas drive.
GSM option is available so you can use any remote controller and matching lcd, be warned though you will need a battery will good 10a cells inside as it is quite power hungry if unrestricted and is very fast with very good power for 250w.

Reactions: Jon Matthews

Jon Matthews

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2018
Try Woosh for UK kit or Brighton ebikes, if you opt for throttle best to fit one brake cut out to the rear.
If you like the torque drive of the Cube try tdzs 48v kit from Woosh other wise BBS or GSM are pas drive.
GSM option is available so you can use any remote controller and matching lcd, be warned though you will need a battery will good 10a cells inside as it is quite power hungry if unrestricted and is very fast with very good power for 250w.
Thank you Neal, thats a lot of info to digest. I'll start by downloading the manuals and having a good read. Cheers