Converting Carrera Subway 2

Bonzo Banana

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2019
You can get 9 speed freewheels like this one;

I never think they are a as good as Shimano 7 speed freewheels which seem stronger and more accurately threaded however with a ebike the drivetrain does get an easier life. So while a 9 speed freewheel might be short life on a conventional bike it can give good service on a hub motor based ebike.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
You can get 9 speed freewheels like this one;

I never think they are a as good as Shimano 7 speed freewheels which seem stronger and more accurately threaded however with a ebike the drivetrain does get an easier life. So while a 9 speed freewheel might be short life on a conventional bike it can give good service on a hub motor based ebike.
8 speed and 9 speed freewheels are nearly always too wide. If you know what you're doing, they can be fitted but it makes the installation much more complicated, so they're best avoided. I always recommend 7 speeds or less for freewheel motors. If you want 8, 9 or more, you should get a cassette motor.

The problem with the width is the amount of off-set you need to build into the wheel to get the rim central, then you end up with spokes that are too tight on one side and too loose on the other. There are ways round that, but it involves frame stretching and disc spacers that most people wouldn't want to do.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
you need 11T or 12T sprocket on 8/9/10-speed freewheels for a more relaxed cruising at 15mph. 7-speed freewheel has 13T on the smallest rear sprocket.
The error the OP made was to buy a motor with thread for a freewheel instead of a freehub.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
you need 11T or 12T sprocket on 8/9/10-speed freewheels for a more relaxed cruising at 15mph. 7-speed freewheel has 13T on the smallest rear sprocket.
The error the OP made was to buy a motor with thread for a freewheel instead of a freehub.
Apart from DNP ones!

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I keep Sunrace 8-speed 11T-28T freewheels. The OP had originally 9-speed cassette, so either he buys a 7-speed shifter and put up with 13T sprocket or 9-speed freewheel and a freewheel tool with thin wall. BTW, what do you think of Mechaniker's torque sensor that he builds into the freehub?

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I keep Sunrace 8-speed 11T-28T freewheels. The OP had originally 9-speed cassette, so either he buys a 7-speed shifter and put up with 13T sprocket or 9-speed freewheel and a freewheel tool with thin wall. BTW, what do you think of Mechaniker's torque sensor that he builds into the freehub?
I've got a feeling that it's too expensive and complicated for what I'd want. As you know, I like the KT pedal assist control system a lot, and you can have a throttle with it that works independently to 4 mph, then works after that as long as the pedals are turning. The response time is very quick, so a torque sensor won't give a big advantage on that, if any at all. The one thing I wouldn't want is any system that uses torque multiplying algorithms, where you pedal harder to get more power. That seems daft to me. I can understand using a torque sensor as a switch, but in that case all you need is an idler wheel on the chain with a spring to hold it down a bit.

These comments are in relation to using an ebike on the road for touring, commuting, shopping and things like that. For off-road and any sort of difficult terain, a torque multiplying system would be better, but then a hub-motor might not be the best motor either. Mechaniker didn't mention whether his system is a torque multiplyer or fixed power levels.

What about your kit? Does it use torque multiplication or does it give a fixed power or speed for each pedal assist level?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I can understand using a torque sensor as a switch, but in that case all you need is an idler wheel on the chain with a spring to hold it down a bit.
it's the PAS that acts as a switch in all the usual torque sensors. The TS signal is inhibited by the PAS while the torque signal will control the current according to the selected riding mode. I think you and Mechaniker have more in common than your apparent tribes - cadence and torque. Both of you like granular control how your bikes deliver. He has the tool to configure the Lishui controller. I like his invention which makes conversion simpler and easier to service.

Last edited: