Converting from Rim brakes to disc

• Thread starter Deleted member 4366
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 4366

I don't like rim brakes because they always need adjustment and don't really have enough power for a heavy ebike, so I had a go at converting my GNG Diamondback bike. I made an adapter plate out of 2mm hard aluminium and added a compression bar to resist the torque, which I tied to the seat-stay with a wrap-around bracket. Seems to work OK. Here's the adaptor plate:

Here's the finished arrangement, which still needs a bit of tidying:

and the finished bike looking a bit tidier now with the new battery and rack. The flash spoiled the photo a bit.:

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
Much better. You're a dab hand with those metalworking skills. Must really help broaden the scope for adapting things to fit your projects. After watching you further modify that torque arm I splashed out on an 850W angle grinder in Wickes sale today. Am hoping it might come in handy to make some brackets for fixing my box.... if I ever get it finished - using Gorilla glue and only having 2 clamps is a bit like watching paint dry !

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Nice job Dave.

Jerry

Marctwo

Pedelecer
Dec 1, 2012
Looks good and a lot cheaper than the conversion kits you can buy. Not sure I'd have your faith in 2mm ally though.

Have you given it a good going over yet?

Old_Dave

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 15, 2012
Dumfries & Galloway
Not sure I'd have your faith in 2mm ally
The stresses and strains are going in the right direction, so I'm sure it will be fine.

I was thinking of doing something similar but from square bar and use an existing rim brake mounting post as the top hanger / support.

Beer mat doodle available on request :p

smudger1956

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2012
West London
Remember..brakes stop the wheels...not the bike......:D as I found out on my first major handful of hydraulic brake systems.....:D;)