Converting my bike to ebike

mt247

Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2020
So by your advice sold my first bike with v brakes and got myself new bike with disc brakes.

Now I'm planning to buy one of these kits for my bike and I wonder if they are combatible with my bike. And do I need that optional freehub(casette) variant or is my bike free wheel? My bike is: https://whitebikes.com/ax-290-ff-20/b/2461/ and it has Shimano CS-HG31-8, 11-34T cassette 8 speed.
Kits:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000838391101.html
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000258829938.html

1000W 48V seems better option for me powerwise but 500W 48V kit has controller integrated to battery and it was water resistant connectors so it is tempting. I'm planning to ride bike year around even during winter when it snows. How water resistant that 1000W kit is? And what kind of speed you can expect out of 500W 48V rear hub motor?
Some pictures of my bike:

Last edited:

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
You'll have to think about the battery installation. The Hailong batteries have the fixings at the top end and your bike has them low down on the frame, so you'll probably have to install 2 additional rivnuts, then you need to dismantle the cover from the controller and figure out where/how you can drill through for your bottom fixing screw.

That's a very fast 500w motor at 440 rpm, which is 35 mph with 700C wheels. You'd be better off with one about 330 rpm unless you're very light and your rides don't involve hills because it doesn't have the power to reach that speed.

Those 1000w motors are extremely heavy and run down batteries very quickly.

You need a cassette motor for your bike. The 1000w doesn't come in cassette version, so you'd have to change your gears and rear shifter.

I prefer the non-integrated controllers and non-waterproof connectors because they're easier to test when you have problems, and they tend to be more waterproof than the waterproof ones when you install the controller in a bag or box. Here you can see my bag, which also has the advantage that you can store all the extra lengths of the wires in there. The wires on the waterproof ones are too long and there's nowhere to hide them other than bundling them up under the battery, which looks intidy.

The dolphin type battery that I have is much easier to install because the fixing positions line up with those on your bike.

Reactions: dwvl and mt247

mt247

Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2020
You'll have to think about the battery installation. The Hailong batteries have the fixings at the top end and your bike has them low down on the frame, so you'll probably have to install 2 additional rivnuts, then you need to dismantle the cover from the controller and figure out where/how you can drill through for your bottom fixing screw.
Here is some picture with installed battery by some guy with same bike:

That's a very fast 500w motor at 440 rpm, which is 35 mph with 700C wheels. You'd be better off with one about 330 rpm unless you're very light and your rides don't involve hills because it doesn't have the power to reach that speed.

Those 1000w motors are extremely heavy and run down batteries very quickly.

You need a cassette motor for your bike. The 1000w doesn't come in cassette version, so you'd have to change your gears and rear shifter.

I prefer the non-integrated controllers and non-waterproof connectors because they're easier to test when you have problems, and they tend to be more waterproof than the waterproof ones when you install the controller in a bag or box. Here you can see my bag, which also has the advantage that you can store all the extra lengths of the wires in there. The wires on the waterproof ones are too long and there's nowhere to hide them other than bundling them up under the battery, which looks intidy.
I'm 85kg (187lbs) myself so not that heavy.

Thanks for clearing up this, I'm leaving out that 1000W option then. Not sure if I want to buy new gears and rear shifter if my Altus shifter is not compatible. Or do you think it is worth to do it?

Your own kit looks really good with that controller bag placement so It's not bad option if it's even more waterproof.

My budget is at 500€ for motor kit + battery. And those chamrider kits with MXUS hub motors + battery seemed good bang for your buck. There seems to be also bafang version with 500W motor:

MXUS options:
Bafang options:

Other options is mid drive it would cost about 600€ and with 5-10Ah smaller battery:

Last edited:

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
I have a 328rpm 48v Q128c motor from BMSbattery. I use 14 amp 48v KT sine wave controller from PSWpower, so not a lot of power for high speed, but on the flat, I can travel along at about 20 - 22 mph without pedalling too hard if I released the 15 mph speed limit. Assistance carries on to about 28 mph, but ramps down from about 20 mph. The motor can handle a lot more power than that, but it's fine for what I want. It can get me up hills of around 18% without pedalling, which is about as steep as you're likely to find on most rides.

The battery is 11.4Ah. At full power, I can flatten it in about 15 miles, and my longest between charges was 129 miles. Range is meaningless. It simply depends on how hard you pedal, your weight and where you ride.

My top speed is around 44 mph on most of my rides, depending on where I go. I normally run down a 30% hill, which is like dropping off a cliff.

Reactions: mt247

mt247

Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2020
I have a 328rpm 48v Q128c motor from BMSbattery. I use 14 amp 48v KT sine wave controller from PSWpower, so not a lot of power for high speed, but on the flat, I can travel along at about 20 - 22 mph without pedalling too hard if I released the 15 mph speed limit. Assistance carries on to about 28 mph, but ramps down from about 20 mph. The motor can handle a lot more power than that, but it's fine for what I want. It can get me up hills of around 18% without pedalling, which is about as steep as you're likely to find on most rides.

The battery is 11.4Ah. At full power, I can flatten it in about 15 miles, and my longest between charges was 129 miles. Range is meaningless. It simply depends on how hard you pedal, your weight and where you ride.

My top speed is around 44 mph on most of my rides, depending on where I go. I normally run down a 30% hill, which is like dropping off a cliff.
What is your opinion on these 48V 500W options Bafang motor: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32916093975.html vs MXUS: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000258829938.html both can be ordered casette option.

After what you said maybe 500W motor is enough for me, at least it has better range and supposedly a bit lighter compared to 1000W.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
The MXUS is too fast. They don't give the Bafang's speed. They would be good kits if they had 260 or 300 rpm motors, but 440 rpm would be like driving you car in top gear all the time.