Copenhagen wheel

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
And there's a shot of the inside showing lots of thick copper windings far from the centre,looks rather impressive[/quot
Its briefly reviewed on click on iPlayer this weekend,curiously they say drag and regeneration only kicks in if one briefly backpedals, and that it's good on hills
Well worth a look

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
An interesting idea,but I cannot find any independent reviews. The price seems to be about 699.00 dollars plus vat,that price is close to buying a complete e-bike with existing proven performance.
To succeed I think the price needs to be about £299.00. So that it creates a market remote from the complete e-bike. Such a price would be possible but need Dyson style high volume production.
All the foregoing assumes it will climbs hills.
KudosDave

jonathan75

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2013
Hertfordshire
Wouldn't they have to use lipo to shape the battery to fit? Says to me proprietary. Expensive to replace. And any fire and the whole shebang is toast.

Plus it's not $899 even in the US, it's $899 + ~19% state sales tax, + shipping, or in UK + shipping + 26% VAT & import duty, + £9 import processing fee. Yikes.

Oh and there would be nasty American consumer law to contend with (so pay with a credit card and your cc provider is liable under UK law... I think).

Reactions: flecc
D

Deleted member 4366

They featured it on BBCs Click this morning, but they didn't give a lot of detail. There might be a bit more on the long version of Click that you can watch on the BBC iPlayer.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
An interesting idea,but I cannot find any independent reviews. The price seems to be about 699.00 dollars plus vat,that price is close to buying a complete e-bike with existing proven performance.
To succeed I think the price needs to be about £299.00. So that it creates a market remote from the complete e-bike. Such a price would be possible but need Dyson style high volume production.
All the foregoing assumes it will climbs hills.
KudosDave
it's doable at $350 in China, £399 in the UK with a 36V 5AH battery with a wireless torque sensor.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It's got a 48 volt battery though, which given it's small size must be very low capacity. I rather think they are making the common mistake in the design of relying far too much on the regeneration to make for an adequate range. That won't produce anything much worthwhile.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
I was watching it on Click this morning - it seems that they are more interested in the app than practical stuff like range and torque. If the principal interest behind it is to make a light and cheap assist kit, we have almost all the required elements already mass-produced: 250W geared motor with built-in motor torque sensor like the one in the Woosh TS, just move the controller and battery inside the rear rim and plug in the LCD. Job done.

Reactions: flecc and JohnCade

SteveRuss

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2015
Bristol, Uk
Up to 30 miles is quoted as it's maximum. So, in turbo mode in a hilly place you may get 15 if you're lucky I would expect. Possibly less? For many people, that's enough to get too and from work. For someone wanting to go riding with their friends on a day out then I don't think it'll be up for the job.

That said. It's 6kg odd which on a lightweight bike isn't a mass to ride around normally. My Boardman is 9.5kg so it would still be almost 10kgs lighter than my Kalkhoff.

I suspect they're going to sell a lot of them..!

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
they use a DD motor (read heavy) on the copenhagen wheel. If you use the same geared motor as the Woosh TS (3kgs) with 20 3,400mAH cells (1kgs, 36V 7AH) and controller (300grs), the rear wheel would weigh about 4.8kgs including rim and freewheel, and the range is about 20-25 miles. The cost of the wheel made with Chinese components in London is about £250.

Reactions: jonathan75

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
I can't help thinking it will go the way of Clive Sinclair's C5, though I believe they are becoming quite collectible now.

Dave.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I can't help thinking it will go the way of Clive Sinclair's C5, though I believe they are becoming quite collectible now.

Dave.
Exactly my opinion too, I can't see this wheel fitting any present market and doubt it could create a new one.

There's precedent. US corporation Berkestrand launched the "Motorised Wheel" years ago with similar intentions, but it flopped. Their motor rights were sold to Sanyo who produced it as a front hub motor which was later used by Giant in their models from 2006 until recently.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
Putting everything inside the motorised wheel simplifies wiring but destabilizes the bike. One thing I was thinking of but still have not seen, why nobody has put the battery and CD motor on to the bottom bracket? it's the most logical place to go for.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I suppose it'e the apparent simplicity of swapping a wheel that causes creators to automatically think wheel only Trex.

A CD one would work and a compact battery could even be clip-off the front for separate charging convenience.

Reactions: trex
D

Deleted member 4366

Putting everything inside the motorised wheel simplifies wiring but destabilizes the bike. One thing I was thinking of but still have not seen, why nobody has put the battery and CD motor on to the bottom bracket? it's the most logical place to go for.
No room for the battery, but it's no big deal to have a single wire to a battery that can be fixed to the bottle fixings or anywhere else. So, a crank-drive with inbuilt torque sensor and bluetooth should be feasible.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
the XMAX CD motor with bottom bracket torque sensor and LCD is about $275 from China. Member mechaniker wrote the manual for it. There is a little craze going on at the moment. Designers are busy creating apps so that lazy riders don't have to think for themselves or press buttons to control the bike.

No room for the battery, but it's no big deal to have a single wire to a battery that can be fixed to the bottle fixings or anywhere else. So, a crank-drive with inbuilt torque sensor and bluetooth should be feasible.
I was thinking on a twist on battery, looking a bit like the Tonaro motor.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
That's the lines I was speaking of too, compact one piece but the convenience of a separable battery for charging.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
That looks and sounds awful in so many ways I can hardly begin to list them!

Reminds me of the old Cyclemaster versus BSA Winged Wheel cycle motors of long ago. The first had everything inside the wheel like the Copenhagen, while BSA put the motor outside alongside and it's larger fuel tank on the carrier.

D

Deleted member 4366

Nice try, but no cigar!

I guess handing out grants to university graduates keeps them off the streets. Maybe it's like that thing where you give a monkey a typewriter and infinite time. He'll eventually randomly type out the entire works of Shakespear. So they give grants to a million graduates to develope an ebike in the hope that one of them will eventually come up with something useful.