Cost in lives of the Covid cycling boom

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Despite the large increases in cycling in the last two decades the death rates had been falling during the 2010s, probably due to the increase mainly being in cycle commuting which builds experience. From a high of 134 deaths in Britain, there was a later one year low of 99 deaths.

However, the Covid boom in cycling which was mainly leisure in nature in 2020 led to a big increase in deaths, roughly in line with the rate of cycling increase:

"During 2020, pedal cyclist fatalities rose by 41% while pedal cyclist traffic rose by 46%."

No final figures for 2021 yet. Hopefully the recent protective changes in the Highway Code guidance will reduce the deaths for this year.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
From what I see fleec the changes in the HWC have had little impact, often I see instances where drivers give no thought of giving way to pedestrians or cyclists. They simply aren't very observant at all and don't even look in to the turning they are going in to, it hasn't taken long and all I see is selfish drivers in hurry to nowwhere in particular The same with lights as soon as they see amber it's a race to beat the lights.
Near me they risk all for getting in front (either risking my well being or hitting another vehicle to over take and for what) ? 1. To turn 10/20 yards ahead of me to go to the petrol forecourt or 300 yards up the road to wait in the queue at Tesco, it is pure selfish ness and lack of due care and attention.

Last edited:

richtea99

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 8, 2020
I would expect the UK use and fatalities to go in step as you've identified, unless there is a massive increase in cycle use, where cyclists become so common that many car drivers are cyclists themselves, like in the Netherlands*.

That would be nice, but unlikely unless petrol becomes even more expensive.

*207 deaths in 2021 but many more cyclists, so a much lower rate in effect.

Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
*207 deaths in 2021 but many more cyclists, so a much lower rate in effect.
Indeed, over 8 million (48%) in The Netherlands cycle daily, in Britain it's 2 million at most with 100 deaths per annum over the last decade. So their average 200 deaths per annum is a death rate only a half of ours.

It's actually even better than that, since a further 20 million of the Dutch own bikes and use them quite regularly, but not daily.

nigelbb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2019
Indeed, over 8 million (48%) in The Netherlands cycle daily, in Britain it's 2 million at most with 100 deaths per annum over the last decade. So their average 200 deaths per annum is a death rate only a half of ours.

It's actually even better than that, since a further 20 million of the Dutch own bikes and use them quite regularly, but not daily.
You might want to check that last sentence. The population of the Netherlands is about 17.6 million.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
You might want to check that last sentence. The population of the Netherlands is about 17.6 million.
Indeed, careless of me, that is 2 million of course, not 20.

Over 24 hours since posted so beyond editing now.

Reactions: richtea99