costco jetson electric mtb

D

Deleted member 4366

I always charge and keep my battery indoors so when I start a ride my battery is at room temp and as it discharges it helps keep the temp up.

I've learned from experience that if you start off on a cold day with a cold battery you'll get a noticeably reduced range.
Also whenever I see manufactures battery data sheets they include references to temp vs discharge capacity like this
View attachment 22937
The problem with frequent battery removal is that you wear out the battery terminals, so I'd only ever remove a battery if absolutely necessary.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
The problem with frequent battery removal is that you wear out the battery terminals, so I'd only ever remove a battery if absolutely necessary.
We have found that as long as the battery had been turned off and the connectors are not live there is no problem with changing the battery as many times as you like. If however the battery is removed when still live the terminals are literally spark eroded away. So it's best always to make certain that the battery is turned off before removing or reconnecting.

All the best, David

• Agree
Reactions: Gringo

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I have been looking for a cheap alternative to the lunacycle solid state battery switch, does anyone know of a cheaper source? In China for example, my searches on Ali didn't turn anything up. On the other hand the euro drone guys all have them, about twice the price of lunacycle... :eek:

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
We have found that as long as the battery had been turned off and the connectors are not live there is no problem with changing the battery as many times as you like. If however the battery is removed when still live the terminals are literally spark eroded away. So it's best always to make certain that the battery is turned off before removing or reconnecting.

All the best, David
I'm another that has never experienced any issue with removing the battery, and do so to change battery during a ride, and at the end for storage.
A big bonus for me is the ease at which a non integrated or semi integrated battery can be removed.

The only issue that I have ever had, is dead cells (or presumed dead cells) on two Bosch batteries, and one didn't work from new.

As an aside, I see that you have been nominated for a Bikebiz award. :)

Last edited:

mountainsport

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2012
Hi Dave. We have two new bikes being finalised now, a folder and a unisex step through. Both will have completely hidden but easily removable batteries with the option to fit rack batteries for longer rides. We are going 30 cells on the folder and 50 on the step through for the internal batteries.

I agree to survive in this now very competitive and complex market, the smaller players need to be very innovative and become more focused on specific market areas.

I also agree with your prediction, I think we will lose as many as 3 well known names this year. Buyers should think carefully before investing in some brands as spare parts and warranty work may not be available.

All the best, David
David, one thing I will say, at least I know that you are not a selfish business man.;) For that reason I hope your business prospers.

MS.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Thanks MS, you are very kind.

There are several of us that post who share knowledge of the market and where we think it's going. Being only a small business, a sharing of information helps us to keep abreast of what our customers are looking for in the next generation of electric bikes. A few minutes on Pedelecs every day is a massive help. I've been following the views of Pedelecs contributors for nearly ten years now and everything we do now and have done in the past has been influenced by posts here.

As I say we have two new city and trekking bikes on the way, there is still time to make tweaks so if anyone has any suggestions, they will certainly be seriously considered!

All the best, David

D

Deleted member 4366

You can make your own. it's dead easy. This one is good for 30 amps:

P1000034.JPG Simple20soft20start20ebike20power20switch20schematic20-20small1.JPG

switch_zpsd37201cb.JPG

If you're really clever, you can just add a switch to the BMS to switch off the battery.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
D

Deleted member 4366

Yes but FET based switches drain current even when off don't they? That is why I was looking for a solid state one like the drone chaps use on their LiPos.
No. Maybe a few micro-amps. All those batteries with a switch on the side use mosfets to block the current.

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
I'm another that has never experienced any issue with removing the battery, and do so to change battery during a ride, and at the end for storage.
A big bonus for me is the ease at which a non integrated or semi integrated battery can be removed.

The only issue that I have ever had, is dead cells (or presumed dead cells) on two Bosch batteries, and one didn't work from new.

As an aside, I see that you have been nominated for a Bikebiz award. :)

Another advantage of an easily removed battery is that in low temperatures it can be taken indoors to warm up before charging.

Reactions: EddiePJ

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
The plus side of standard factory batteries is long term support, downside is not always best intergration. Bosch seem to address this with powertube while Shimano let bike manufacturers do they own thing if they don't like standard Shimano batteries.

Downside bike manufacturer batteries is long term support and not interchangeable with other bikes. If bike manufacturer goes out of business your stuffed, especially if they can't be repacked.