Could someone please explain 5

Grizzly Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 14, 2007
Swansea
www.grizzlyfish.com
Could someone please explain, why the Met Office get it so wrong all the time, even though they have all that technology available to them? and I get soaked without my waterproofs on, or get soaked with my waterproofs on! yes I know I could take them off, but once they're on, and you got to fold them up, and I'm no good at folding, and I didn't take a bag!

Griz

Barnowl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2008
There is no technology. It's all done with pine cones, seaweed, squirrels tails arthritic joints and fields of cows srategically positioned throughout the country.

fishingpaul

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2007
I always use aol for the weather type in your postcode, and you can even get get detailed hour by hour forecasts for your local area,even the percentage chance of rainfall ,obviously it is not 100% but i have found it very usefull, and have not got soaked once so far this year, on the other hand a couple of times it has put me off using the bike when we have only seen a few light showers.

Grizzly Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 14, 2007
Swansea
www.grizzlyfish.com
I always use aol for the weather type in your postcode, and you can even get get detailed hour by hour forecasts for your local area,even the percentage chance of rainfall ,obviously it is not 100% but i have found it very usefull, and have not got soaked once so far this year, on the other hand a couple of times it has put me off using the bike when we have only seen a few light showers.
ok paul, no rain for Swansea today according to aol, so it's no waterproofs and my nice shiny new bike. After yesterdays forcast by the Met, I was going to take my grubby bike and best waterproofs!

Griz :)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Actually they always get it exactly right :rolleyes:, but of course some people will always on the boundaries between two different weather areas so for them it can be wrong. :D

So it's your fault for being in the wrong place. :p

Seriously, I can often ride a very short distance and find totally different weather in the North Downs, return and find the weather I left behind has remained consistent. That's the trouble being on the edge of a large ocean and in a fairly small island with very variable terrain like ours, the weather can be impossible to accurately pin down for each tiny area. Live well inside a large land mass and the predictions can be far more accurate.

Barnowl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2008
I use the BBC weather page and type in my postcode or town (then add to favourites so I don't need to add the postcode next time):

BBC Weather

You get the options for 5 day or 24 hrs forcast including Humidity & Wind in an easy to read format.

The best way to take a more accurate view for exactly where you are is to scroll down the page and use the slide on the map to move through the week day by day. The darker the blue the more likely the rain. If it's green or yellow you'll need air tanks.

The next day is usually accurate. After that increasingly less so. More than 3 days and it's anyones guess.

Last edited:

Grizzly Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 14, 2007
Swansea
www.grizzlyfish.com
I use the BBC weather page and type in my postcode or town (then add to favourites so I don't need to add the postcode next time):

BBC Weather

You get the options for 5 day or 24 hrs forcast

The best way to take a more accurate view for exactly where you are is to scroll down the page and use the slide on the map to move through the week day by day. The darker the blue the more likely the rain. If it's green or yellow you'll need air tanks.

The next day is usually accurate. After that increasingly less so. More than 3 days and it's anyones guess.

I use both the BBC weather and The Met office and enter my postcode, but yesterday again they got it wrong, and that was 8 hours ahead. I'd rather they said they don't know. I don't mind the rain if I'm dressed for it, but I also don't like having my waterproofs when it's bright sunshine and very warm. Even worse for me is taking my best bike out, only to get it covered in muck. I'm sure they were more accurate years ago.

Griz

Barnowl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2008
Yes I've had a fair few soakings this year. Usually though when I haven't bothered to check. I've noticed of late the forecast can change significantly overnight.

Couple of months ago I thought I was cursed since it always seemed to start raining just before I left work regardless off the previous 8 hours or the forecast. I've also noticed the site completely screws up on occassion.

Anyway looks like I'm good till Friday evening.
Looking out the window though it don't look promising...

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I'm sure they were more accurate years ago.

Griz
I think you could well be right. Forecasting is actually mostly done from previous weather patterns, the history for each nearest pattern located from their computers and repeated as the forecast.

Trouble is that global warming means new weather patterns are appearing for which there is no history to show what might be expected, so that's where the guesswork and interpretation comes in, complete with the errors.

The Met Office is part of the Ministry of Defence and essential to our security, so as such has one of the most powerful computer systems in the world and more than adequate resources. That's why I think the global warming changes are responsible for inaccuracies rather than incompetence or inadequate facilities.

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
I think you could well be right. Forecasting is actually mostly done from previous weather patterns, the history for each nearest pattern located from their computers and repeated as the forecast.

Trouble is that global warming means new weather patterns are appearing for which there is no history to show what might be expected, so that's where the guesswork and interpretation comes in, complete with the errors.

The Met Office is part of the Ministry of Defence and essential to our security, so as such has one of the most powerful computer systems in the world and more than adequate resources. That's why I think the global warming changes are responsible for inaccuracies rather than incompetence or inadequate facilities.
That or people have rose tinted glasses about how accurate weather forecasts used to be. I saw an interview with Michael Fish recently where he said forecasts are far more accurate now than they were in 1987, of course he would say that but I believe him. :)

Last edited:

Grizzly Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 14, 2007
Swansea
www.grizzlyfish.com
That or people have rode tinted glasses about how accurate weather forecasts used to be. I saw an interview with Michael Fish recently where he said forecasts are far more accurate now than they were in 1987, of course he would say that but I believe him. :)
Wasn't that the year he got it wrong big time though, about that really bad storm that hit the south?

Griz

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
That or people have rose tinted glasses about how accurate weather forecasts used to be. I saw an interview with Michael Fish recently where he said forecasts are far more accurate now than they were in 1987, of course he would say that but I believe him. :)
I agree that today's are generally more accurate than the 1980s and before. The problem I see is that we are increasingly getting some odd variations and extremes in the weather, and when those crop up, the forecast error can be more extreme than it was in the past. It's larger errors that people tend to notice more.

The greatest of those errors were certainly noticed in the October storm of 1987 in the UK, which was among first examples in modern times, and the people of Indonesia certainly noticed their tsunami event.

Last edited:

Teejay

Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2008
NW London
No it's not! I think that's one of Flecc's little teases ;)

Manual forecasters may have used that technique amongst others but with computers its different.

They garner together all the observations from land, sea, air and satellite at an agreed time, e.g. midnight GMT - it's a worldwide collaboration - then form a model of the state of the atmosphere at that instant, called the "Initial State". Then, with as much physics as they can cram into the model, the model goes forward in time and they see how the state evolves. Each model run starts afresh.

One big change in the last 20 or 30 years has been the adoption of Ensemble Techniques. They change the Intial State slightly and see how the results compare. They also compare the Met Office results with those of the Euopeans, Americans, Russians &c. If they're all quite similar, all well and good. If the differ, then they're in trouble as you don't know which one is right and that's where experience comes in. It's also why the next forecast may differ from the last.

I do think they err on the side of caution. If they think there's say a 30% chance of heavy rain, that's what they'll go for, or certainly mention it. They reckon they'll get less stick if they say it'll be wet and it stays dry than if it's the other way round :)

Teejay

Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2008
NW London
I agree that today's are generally more accurate than the 1980s and before. The problem I see is that we are increasingly getting some odd variations and extremes in the weather, and when those crop up, the forecast error can be more extreme than it was in the past. It's larger errors that people tend to notice more.

The greatest of those errors were certainly noticed in the October storm of 1987 in the UK, which was among first examples in modern times, and the people of Indonesia certainly noticed their tsunami event.
A bit before my time but I wonder how people would have felt after: August 1952, the Lynmouth disaster after hours of heavy rain on Exmoor; December 1952, the famous 5 day London Smog; January 1953 the North Sea Floods and the sinking of the Princess Victoria off Stranraer, both caused by storm force winds round a deep depression.

No doubt at the time a popular explanation would have been the A-Bomb tests. Each age has its weather fashions

The tsunami was hardly a meteorological phenomenon.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
No it's not! I think that's one of Flecc's little teases ;)

Manual forecasters may have used that technique amongst others but with computers its different.

They garner together all the observations from land, sea, air and satellite at an agreed time, e.g. midnight GMT - it's a worldwide collaboration - then form a model of the state of the atmosphere at that instant, called the "Initial State". Then, with as much physics as they can cram into the model, the model goes forward in time and they see how the state evolves. Each model run starts afresh.
Not a tease, but I meant the same thing. These observations building up the pattern of the atmosphere's state are related to the computer history over the approximately 250 years of garnered information and from that the individual land patterns are forecast from the nearest past pattern. That's why the moving map is able to show the individual cloud patterns related to terrain etc. in fine detail, something that cannot be gained from atmospheric readings alone. This is according the Met Office forecasters who have said that well into the future as a more detailed and longer history is built up, forecasting will become much more locally accurate.

Without that history localised accuracy is impossible, and local accuracy is what we need of course. A generalised indication of rain across a large part of the south of the UK for example is no good to anyone, but that's all that can be given by the worldwide readings.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
A bit before my time but I wonder how people would have felt after: August 1952, the Lynmouth disaster after hours of heavy rain on Exmoor; December 1952, the famous 5 day London Smog; January 1953 the North Sea Floods and the sinking of the Princess Victoria off Stranraer, both caused by storm force winds round a deep depression.
These were fairly consistent with what had been forecast, though the degree of the effects were more severe. The complaint about the 1987 storm related forecast was the way any idea if it happening was dismissed just before, so the forecasting error huge, hence my using it as an example.