Could someone please explain

Grizzly Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 14, 2007
Swansea
www.grizzlyfish.com
I'm not an engineer but I have slowly migrated from bench fitting to electronics to computers, I could have done something myself but I have a young family and don't have the time. The only people with the time and space to do it are usually 50+ as they have more expensive houses and the kids have gone.
I have a nice size workshop now but need to wait until the kids don't need constant attention, even then I'd probably not attempt what you have done unless it fulfills a specific need that I can't get elsewhere.
Brunel had the innovation, he didn't do the donkey work.

From a very young age I have always had projects on the go, they push you mentally and also improve your skills, the old saying "use it or lose it!" springs to mind. I've got children too, grown up now, that didn't stop me building motorcycles, boats etc. I used the back door step or a wall as my work bench in those days, where there's a will there's a way. Kids are gone now, so I've now got a back bedroom as my workshop.
Don't you think that people living in other countries who do the work on their own bikes, have the same pressures as we do in this country?

What has happened to the British people?

Brunel is turning in his grave because Great Briton isn't great any more!

Griz

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
From a very young age I have always had projects on the go, they push you mentally and also improve your skills, the old saying "use it or lose it!" springs to mind. I've got children too, grown up now, that didn't stop me building motorcycles, boats etc. I used the back door step or a wall as my work bench in those days, where there's a will there's a way. Kids are gone now, so I've now got a back bedroom as my workshop.
Don't you think that people living in other countries who do the work on their own bikes, have the same pressures as we do in this country?

What has happened to the British people?

Brunel is turning in his grave because Great Briton isn't great any more!

Griz
I do work on my bikes and I will teach my children to do so as well but it what you are doing is classed as a hobby and I'm sure your skills could be more useful applied elsewhere (not an insult). If you can sell your creations on at a price that makes it worthwhile and other people benefit from them then your time is productive and it ceases to be a hobby which would be ideal, I think Cytronex started like that and now has lots of happy customers who couldn't find what they needed before.
Alternatively help people to create your designs and pass on your knowledge, that will help increase the number of people who can and want to fabricate their own things.

Alex728

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2008
Ipswich
Depends a lot on the country. in some other EU nations (particularly Benelux, Germany and Scandinavian nations) the government and employers have a much less adversarial relationship (ditto the citizens with the public sector). People work shorter hours, take longer holidays, have easier access to child care and thus have time for their personal projects, often with the goodwill of employers who realise the value these have for personal development.

Sometimes British management styles and a culture of negativity and in-fighting in some companies tend to kill the enthusiasm of young people. I've seen this happen myself with young mechanics, engineers and electricians. I know loads of people who do these practical skills for a living but their work atmosphere is such by the time they get home all they want to do is relax..

In Asia people often build their own e-bikes out of necessity, and as mentioned a fair few times before traffic laws aren't so harshly enforced, so bikes which are essentially electric mopeds are commonly found on the roads. in the UK young people do still work on / modify their petrol powered bikes and cars, with varying degrees of tolerance from wider society and the constabulary to the end results :rolleyes:

in the USA a greater abundance of space, resources, less harsh laws and it actually being hard to find "european" ebikes also encourages more people to home-brew.

I understand enough French, German (and most recently Dutch) to lurk on a lot of euro-forums and manufacturers sites and I do wonder if we sometimes look across the Channel and North Sea and automatically assume "the grass is greener there". I suspect that home brew e-bikes are as much of a niche as they are in the UK, but as e-bikes are more popular in these nations already its a larger niche..

Even in China not everyone knows how to build an e-bike (but its easier to find repair workshops which will work on anything from a push bike to a family car!)

Last edited:

Grizzly Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 14, 2007
Swansea
www.grizzlyfish.com
I do work on my bikes and I will teach my children to do so as well but it what you are doing is classed as a hobby and I'm sure your skills could be more useful applied elsewhere (not an insult). If you can sell your creations on at a price that makes it worthwhile and other people benefit from them then your time is productive and it ceases to be a hobby which would be ideal, I think Cytronex started like that and now has lots of happy customers who couldn't find what they needed before.
Alternatively help people to create your designs and pass on your knowledge, that will help increase the number of people who can and want to fabricate their own things.
I am in the process of writing up instructions on how to build a battery box, this was at the request of one of the endless-sphere forum members who lives in Canada. There are techniques I use which result in a professional looking end product. I have no intention of building ebikes as an occupation, because it would ruin the enjoyment of creating for me.

Griz