Crack-Down on sub-standard e-bikes in Germany

jazper53

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 20, 2012
Brighton
I wonder if this is just another way of trying to curb Chinese imports? I hope they will be applying the same standard of scrutiny for European made bikes as well.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

According to the report, it seems that they didn't find very much. Apart from a folding bike that broke, they didn't list ant specific deficiencies are than paperwork/certification. I wonder what motivated them to do the checks?

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
Pressure from the home industry, I should think.

That interference nonconformity could well prove to be a sledgehammer.

jazper53

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 20, 2012
Brighton
Pressure from the home industry, I should think.

That interference nonconformity could well prove to be a sledgehammer.
If it is a serious Issue, why has it not been so in the past?
It stinks of German Protectionism

Last edited:

mountainsport

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2012
This will be good news for us as well, enforcing better standards in Germany's far bigger market will bring better e-bikes for us:

Witch Hunt on e-bikes in Germany
We are now in 2013 so what are we really waiting for at this point in time? Safety is very important. When purpose built electric bikes are going through a vigorous testing process, this tells me that all of the components are attached to the bike whilst during that process ,therefore the frame should be much more of a stronger material to withstand the additional weight. My concern is, do you think it is right for dealers or non-dealers to sell ebike kits to people without knowing any form of history about the bike before dispatching it out to the customer, because remember normal mountain bikes are not designed or even tested for such additional weight.

Mountainsport

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I'm sure protectionism is the driving force, but any pressure for higher standards will be a benefit if it makes suppliers more cautious.

D

Deleted member 4366

I wonder if they checked those that were being sold on Ebay.

Scimitar

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 31, 2010
Ireland
We are now in 2013 so what are we really waiting for at this point in time? Safety is very important. When purpose built electric bikes are going through a vigorous testing process, this tells me that all of the components are attached to the bike whilst during that process ,therefore the frame should be much more of a stronger material to withstand the additional weight. My concern is, do you think it is right for dealers or non-dealers to sell ebike kits to people without knowing any form of history about the bike before dispatching it out to the customer, because remember normal mountain bikes are not designed or even tested for such additional weight.

Mountainsport
In the case of my old MTB, it quite happily coped with my weight before I lost nearly 40kg, so I've no concerns over its ability with the kit on it. I don't go off-roading with it anyway, although the pot-holed so-called 'roads' around here are almost as good/bad as that.

RoadieRoger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2010
I seem to remember more problems with expensive German Ebikes on this Forum , rather than` cheaper` Chinese machines ! Perhaps the Germans should set their sights closer to home ?