trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
do you know when is the next Redbridge?

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
I was of the understanding that if you are running at low speed on a steep hill the hub will be running at a lower efficiency than a crank spinning at optimum rpm, and the lower the speed the greater disparity.
If I can ride again it will be at low power outputs from the human half of the hybrid so I am very interested in which can climb the steepest hills with out significant help
It depends what you mean by 'low speed',with the old and very cheap 8-fun motors you really had to be up to 8 mph to get onto the motor torque curve but these BPM motors will achieve that at 4 mph. If you are meaning down at 2 mph with very high cadence then yes the crank drive will allow you to climb very steep hills with max torque,low gear,high cadence-currently no hub bike will allow you to climb steep hills at such a slow speed.
If your legs are so tired that you cannot achieve that 4 mph threshold speed then crank drive is probably best. Also crank drive and torque sensor hub drive gives very intuitive power delivery which results in a very relaxed riding motion.
Recently,because of the number of different bike styles and brands at the new London Electric Bike Company shop I have had the possibility of riding many more bikes,would really like to try the Haibike FS AM(inverted Bosch crank drive) against the KTM e-race Panasonic(rear hub drive),that would be a very interesting comparison,both bikes aimed at off-road usage-unfortunately the latest 2014 Haibikes are not available until mid August,note the price of the FS AM is £650 cheaper than the previous All Mountain bike.
I am amazed the technology and design improvements that are going into this ebike market,especially considering the size of the market.
KudosDave

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
On flat roads, a relatively neglected advantage of crank drive is the ability to multiply speed through gearing, I can easily get to 20mph+ with light pedalling, not possible with my previous hub motor. That feeling is like the years are simply rolled back.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
However,power is not everything when it comes to the rideability of an ebike....if I were commuting to work every day I would choose the KTM Macina Bold,its just such a nice balanced relaxing bike to ride,I expect the Kalkhoffs are similarly effortless ride....sort of automatic Mercedes.
But IMHO they are not exciting,the latest KTM e-race Panasonic,BH Neos and Kudos-BPM bikes are raw power and great fun....sort of manual Porsche
But this is where a conflict can and probably will arise with the legislators. The whole point of the regulations for pedelecs is to keep them very close to remaining bicycles in every way, moderate performance and speed that doesn't need riders to be pre-qualified or have the protection of third party insurance for others.

The legislators answer to "raw power and great fun" is likely to be more regulation and the loss of the bureaucracy free life the current pedelec law gives us. The German high speed and high power e-bike classes point to how unwelcome this could be, compulsory insurance and helmet wearing, registration and number plates, and worst of all, the loss of use of the off-road cycle routes we use at present.

That's moped land.

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Flecc,you know I am sympathetic with the spirit of your posting but what is happening is that these new BPM type bikes are legally offering bikes which appeal to a younger audience-we are currently selling a KTM E-race P to a 19 year old guy who has bought the bike in preference to a motorbike.
As long as we keep it legal I think the legislators will keep away,the Dft have already indicated that they will not allow the German high power classes in this country....the performance of these bikes is now such that there seems little point in purchasing illegal bikes.
Our government have still not signed up to EN15194,so any extension into further regulation could be way ahead.
KudosDave

D

Deleted member 4366

Good points Dave. The most important thing is that you choose a bike who's motor characteristics match your riding, considering your weight, how hard you like to pedal and the type of hills you're likely to regularly encounter. Everybody has different requirements.

Geebee. There's hub motors that can climb very steep hills very quickly, but everything is a compromise. You have to balance torque, speed, weight, cost, complexity, noise, battery expense and other factors. For me, the 500w Bafang BPM or CST motors are a nice compromise. They're light and free enough to ride like a normal bike. I once rode my BPM 44 miles before I switched it on. I'm 100kg and not particularly fit, and I've never found a hill that one couldn't get me up. We have 25% hills around Ironbride Gorge where I ride. I use a 5kg 20aH 36v battery, which gives about 50 - 70 miles range at legal speeds.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
As long as we keep it legal I think the legislators will keep away,the Dft have already indicated that they will not allow the German high power classes in this country....the performance of these bikes is now such that there seems little point in purchasing illegal bikes.
I hope so Dave, but bikes like the BH Neos etc and many crank drive bikes are apparently commonly in use at assist speeds well above legality and the DfT have made known their implacable opposition to "off-road" buttons and the like.

As ever in cycling, it's all been done before. In 2004 eZee introduced the 20" wheel Quando with 30 amp controller and SB motor which whisked reasonable body weights over hills up to 14% without any use of it's single speed pedalling. It could even restart on a 12% without pedal input but was still assist-speed legal.

Tempted by that potential, eZee put the same system into the 28" wheel Torq, making it the most exciting e-bike around with 22 mph assistance that brought buyers flooding in, making it the best seller in 2006/7. This wide popularity and resulting publicity made it's illegality too blatant, so eZee sensibly backed off, replacing it with the new Torq Trekking that was 15 mph restricted. Disconnecting it's restrictor even reduced the assist further to 12 mph as if punishment for trying! Later they reduced it's controller current by a third too.

Maybe that sad conclusion will one day come to this new generation of more exciting e-bikes.

P.S. Just noticed I'd passed the 25,000 post mark, stopped counting long ago!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

I've found a 23.5% grade hill, I can't quite work it out though, the small section looks like a wall, something not quite right? Strava Segment | Ironbridge Road Climb
Look in the middle of the map where it says B4373, and follow that little road north. It becomes steeper and steeper until it turns left. I think it's actually a lot steeper than 25% because Google Earth gives the average of the last bit as 25%.
From Google Earth:

This one s 30%:

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 4366

There's loads of steep climbs about, but the discussion is about whether the high torque hub motors have enough torque to get you up the hills that you're likely to encounter on a normal bike ride. And BTW, my hub-motored bike will go up that hill without even pedalling, and with a battery that only weighs 3kg.

Last edited by a moderator:

Streethawk

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2011
Strava is full of errors anyway, for example this road is actually flat:

Strava Segment | Mosley St Climb

Hardknott Pass, that's a real test, long and it gets steeper and steeper with parts that are definitely in excess of 1 in 3.

Streethawk

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2011
There's loads of steep climbs about, but the discussion is about whether the high torque hub motors have enough torque to get you up the hills that you're likely to encounter on a normal bike ride. And BTW, my hub-motored bike will go up that hill without even pedalling, and with a battery that only weighs 3kg.
I'm sure it would, however there has to be some trade off, if it's capable of good high speed and exceptionally steep climbs. My car will go from 0-70mph with a third gear start, it's not very efficient to do that though.

melspea

Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2013
And BTW, my hub-motored bike will go up that hill without even pedalling, and with a battery that only weighs 3kg.
Many readers of these pages choose not to break laws and become criminals without morals, ethics or common decency and respect. You should be prosecuted!

Melissa

Streethawk

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2011
Many readers of these pages choose not to break laws and become criminals without morals, ethics or common decency and respect. You should be prosecuted!

Melissa
That's a bit harsh and judgemental, for all you know he only uses it on private property.