Crank lateral play

TedG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2017
Lisburn Co Antrim Northern Ireland UK
I have had an increasing audible "chattering" develop from the central motor on my Volt Infinity.
There is also approx 3mm lateral play in the crank when I checked today.
Anyone know if this is normal as I never felt the need to check lateral play before.
Thanks
Ted.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Axial and radial are definitive, lateral and side to side depend on your point of view.

Good luck sorting it. I'm not going to waste my time playing games.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
My apologies if my question was misleading or unclear.
I simply asked if anyone had any ideas regarding a recent side to side (lateral) play of 3mm with an accompanying "chattering" from the motor has recently developed.
Hi Ted, the answer you want is that it is axial play, i.e. in line with the shaft.

I'm afraid I don't know the Shimano STEPS crank motor that your Volt uses so am unable to help, but hopefully someone familiar with it will be able to help. Meanwhile to possibly help others, is it only on yours and your wife's one ok?

TedG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2017
Hi Ted, the answer you want is that it is axial play, i.e. in line with the shaft.

I'm afraid I don't know the Shimano STEPS crank motor that your Volt uses so am unable to help, but hopefully someone familiar with it will be able to help. Meanwhile to possibly help others, is it only on yours and your wife's one ok?
Apologies - I understood lateral play to be side to side and that is what is happening to the crank(shaft). It is moving 3mm from side to side and with an accompanying "chattering" sound, letting the chainwheel touch the chainguard on occasions.
My wife's bike (Pulse) has a rear hub motor and mine has a central one so not comparable.
Thanks for your help.
Ted.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Apologies - I understood lateral play to be side to side and that is what is happening to the crank(shaft). It is moving 3mm from side to side and with an accompanying "chattering" sound, letting the chainwheel touch the chainguard on occasions.
My wife's bike (Pulse) has a rear hub motor and mine has a central one so not comparable.
Thanks for your help.
Ted.
Yes, to the layman lateral, side to side and axial are all the same thing in respect of a shaft, but engineers prefer absolute clarity to accurately diagnose a fault.

I didn't realise you and your wife had two different different e-bikes.

Reactions: TedG

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
3mm on the shaft that connects to your pedal arms sounds too much and could be a sign of a worn bearing.

This happened to me on my first Yamaha crank drive motor after 6,000 miles and two years use.

I was lucky that the bike shop I bought it from replaced the motor free of charge under warranty.

The shop now offers a same day bearing replacement service for my Yamaha motor.

When I thought about it I came to believe that washing the bike rather than riding the bike had led to water ingress and the failure of the bearing.

I am now very careful to keep water away from the bearings.

The second motor has now done 6064 miles with no play so far, so I am going to find out now whether the bearings wear out at 6,000 miles or my water ingress theory holds some truth and it lasts a lot longer. We will see.

• Informative

E-Wheels

Pedelecer
Aug 16, 2016
Thanks for your help.
Ted.
Is the movement in the F-a (axial) direction or F-r (radial) direction

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
could be a broken cer clip inside the motor or a bearing that has failed

• Informative

TedG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2017
georgehenry
Confession time - riding motorbikes since the 60's with the occasional wash to remove oil leak stains. :(
When power washing arrived I never used it because of possible water ingress to seals etc and certainly never on an e-bike, just a soapy cloth so I fear this is going to be a failure for a reason other than water damage.

• Informative
Reactions: georgehenry

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
Pushing (and pulling) the crank arm from either side gives 3mm of
movement. (play)
Looking at SW's video it would appear the play is in the bearing in the outer casing the guy removes at 6.25 as it's this holding the crankshaft in place. If you are out of warranty, I would contact Pete @Performance Line Bearings, he may well have had some experience repairing the Steps motor.

Last edited:
  • Informative

TedG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2017
Looking at SW's video it would appear the play is in the bearing in the outer casing the guy removes at 6.25 as it's this holding the crankshaft in place. If you are out of warranty, I would contact Pete @Performance Line Bearings, he may well have had some experience repairing the Steps motor.
I think it will be starting with a visit to the dealer. Depending on his reaction it will have to be some contact with Volt. With such a comparatively low mileage which was light leisure only by a pensioner I would prefer a replacement motor as opposed to repair.