Cube Kathmandu Hybrid Pro (2022) Trapeze

JamTop

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 22, 2021
A few weeks ago I (an old codger) splashed out a silly amount of money on this bike. So far however, for the most part, I haven’t regretted the investment.

Firstly, a note about sizing: When I researched the bike on the web it wasn’t yet available. At 5’ 8” (173cm) and with average reach and inside leg, I seemed to fall between sizes according to the sizing guides from Cube and other independent sites. These variously suggested anything between small and large! This is a substantial bike and all I can say is that you must try before you buy. When I finally got to try one I ended up with a small and even then the seat post is at full drop. At this height I can just reach the ground on tiptoes. For me the forward reach is perhaps a little short but it’s fine for an almost fully upright riding position which is my preference. Because of the size and weight this is not a bike for transporting unless you have a tow bar rack. The front wheel is easy to remove but is quite fiddly to get back on again. When I collected the bike it fitted (just) into the back of my Octavia with the seats down and the front wheel off the bike. Be aware, however that it is pretty heavy and preferably a two person job if you are planning to transport it in this way.

Seating: This would be my only major gripe. The saddle did not suit me as it was as little narrow for my sit bones and I have now replaced it. That may just be an individual sizing issue as the saddle seemed otherwise fairly comfortable. The “suspension” seat post however is a bit of a joke. Even at the softest setting it barely does anything at all. A disappointment on an otherwise superb bike. My plan is to replace this too once my chosen post is available.

In contrast, the adjustable front suspension forks (now air rather than spring as on previous models) are brilliant and take all the lumps and bumps out of rougher tracks and road potholes without any noticeable effect on steering.

I live in a hilly town in Devon at the top of a very steep hill. The Bosch motor together with the wide gear range (now 11) make climbing even the steepest hill very easy. Once on the flat I find the lowest assistance level perfectly adequate and the large capacity battery provides a very substantial range. For example, last week I did a 40 mile ride including a few very steep climbs and finished with about 60% capacity left. The battery itself is a bit fiddly to remove and replace if you need to. For me that’s not a problem as I can charge it on the bike. The display unit is clear and bright and provides more information than most everyday riders might need

A useful Racktime rack is included and I invested in a Racktime top bag which is incredibly easy to click in and out of place. Side hangers for panniers would be a good addition for future models as I find the clips on my Cube Pannier bags make fitting the top bag impossible should you need both. Panniers and / or a top bag with straps would probably be okay.

So far I have been very pleased indeed with my Kathmandu. Nothing is perfect and as indicated there are a few things that I think could be improved. If you need the hill-climbing power and range and don’t mind a heavier bike (and can afford it) then I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend this bike.

TedG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2017
Lisburn Co Antrim Northern Ireland UK
I have been researching this bike for some time but they are hard to find.
Astonishingly last week I had a call that one was available and I was off the 58 miles to see it.
It certainly has everything I wanted as a replacement for my Volt Infinity, bigger motor, bigger battery, air forks, excellent powered lights and a very clever (and substantial) rear rack system forming an integral part of the frame.
Why did I not buy it there and then?

The colour!!!.............Sand, khaki, o_O whatever but on the site I had noticed it in that colour however up close and personal in the shop it was a bit "in yer face". IMO.
OK for most I suppose but at 71 I simply couldn't see myself on it. A disappointed trip home but at least I was able to see it and sit on it rather than buy from a photo on the Cube site.
I have been warned that they are in great demand especially in the USA and Canada but I shall wait a few months into 2022 and hope that the more subtle, sedate grey / slate / gunmetal colour appears.
This is generally known as a Big Bike but it was a "medium" size and now having sat on it in that size I know I will need large. Maybe not such a wasted trip after all.

JamTop

Aug 22, 2021
I have been researching this bike for some time but they are hard to find.
Astonishingly last week I had a call that one was available and I was off the 58 miles to see it.
It certainly has everything I wanted as a replacement for my Volt Infinity, bigger motor, bigger battery, air forks, excellent powered lights and a very clever (and substantial) rear rack system forming an integral part of the frame.
Why did I not buy it there and then?

The colour!!!.............Sand, khaki, o_O whatever but on the site I had noticed it in that colour however up close and personal in the shop it was a bit "in yer face". IMO.
OK for most I suppose but at 71 I simply couldn't see myself on it. A disappointed trip home but at least I was able to see it and sit on it rather than buy from a photo on the Cube site.
I have been warned that they are in great demand especially in the USA and Canada but I shall wait a few months into 2022 and hope that the more subtle, sedate grey / slate / gunmetal colour appears.
This is generally known as a Big Bike but it was a "medium" size and now having sat on it in that size I know I will need large. Maybe not such a wasted trip after all.
Absolutely agree about the colour. I could have had a 2021 model months ago in that colour but really didn't like it. Mine's grey and it looks superb! In the end I'm glad I had to wait for the 2022 with the air forks. I only managed to get mine after being let down by an online supplier then discovering by chance that a consignment had come in to the local dealer much earlier than anticipated so I got in early. One thing I forgot to mention that one needs to be aware of is the frame. It's not a circular tube which is no big problem in itself but may impact on some accessories. For example, I have a hand pump with a separate clip arrangement which is designed to bolt on under a bottle cage. Of course, it's designed for a regular circular tube and so can't be used on the Cube. Not a huge difficulty but worth considering when you're looking at accessories.

TedG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2017
Have to admit I sat beside this bike in the showroom really trying to like the colour. Bit like my wife looking at a new pair of shoes for 2 hours :rolleyes:
It was a 2022 model (11 speed rather than 10) and everything I liked over the Volt which would now be considered aged.
To be honest, should I change when the opportunity might arise I will miss the electronic rear hub gears but quite a lot of kit more on the Kathmandu should offset that drawback.
As you say the frame isn't circular and that in itself I feel makes this unusual colour stand out even more - there just seems to be a lot of frame hewn out of granite in the Germanic style.
However that means also a lot of paint and khaki (sand IMO) is a tad too obvious.
The grey options do look very well and in the flesh I believe will be a quality colour for what appears to be a quality bike.

Patience.

Last edited:
Reactions: CubeKathmandu

CubeKathmandu

Oct 18, 2021
Here's mine - I really wanted the Desert/ Orange colours, but notice the earlier comments about it. The Flash Grey/ Black colourway is green under certain light conditions, others report seeing blue tinge in it and in daylight it is grey - flip paint?! Now I really love it!

A heavy bike, no doubt, but rides very well indeed. Sits lovely on the road and the motor is just so powerful and ultra intelligent. I've been two 15 mile runs and although I am used to traditional bikes I still felt the benefit of a good work out. The hills are a breeze and the journey time is slashed. I hope to be able to use it on dry road conditions on a few Winter days and then will have planned lovely Spring and Summer runs. Topped out at 32 mph downhill - fast enough. Average speed on a run with steep hills 12.5 mph - good for the style of bike.

Battery power looks impressive.

Mine left the Cube factory on the first of October and came to me as it left the factory. So there was a bit of work to build it up. The good news about this is I took my time, learned about it and so feel a bit more comfortable with general bike maintenance. Gears, brakes and pedals all working great.

The Cube Sizing Guide on their website is a good resource. It had me at Small to Medium. Almost all the shop guides had me at Medium (one large). I have a Medium Ridgeback World Tour (54) and a Kona Kula Deluxe 18" so decided to go for the Medium Cube Kathmandu. There is quite a high stand over height on this bike for all size options. So the Trapeze could be a good selection if you are betweeen sizes. I say this is because with the stem on mine being in the forward position then reach is perfect for me. Had I opted for the smaller size then there would have been no where to go with the reach, as the bike is set up. I hope that this may help on sizing, really there is no substitute for being fitted for the bike.

No wonder this bike is a top seller. It is the sweet spot for me in the range, good componentry and a top motor

Attachments

The Silverfox

Pedelecer
Oct 13, 2021
Cardiff, UK
I picked up my Kathmandu Pro 625 last Friday and rode it the 48 miles home from the shop. Not such a good idea as I was continually stopping to adjust the seating position and handlebars to find a comfortable riding position and my legs were killing me about half way. The battery hadn't been charged fully so throw range anxiety into the mix! I was using the assistance sparingly knowing that the hills would get worse the nearer I got to home.

Anyway I finally made it and am delighted with the bike despite the legs. I've been out a couple of times since and think I've found a good setup. I was originally going to get the Medium (I'm 5ft 10") but after trying one I had the seat right down as far as it would go and wasn't happy that there was no adjustment as my wife reminded me I'm on the slippery slope and I would shrink as I get older! So I went for the Small and I think that is perfect for me.

I actually prefer the Sand colour and was looking for one in that colour but, as you probably know, Cube bikes in general are in very short supply and I ended up getting the black one (well dark grey really) as that was all I could find in stock anywhere.

My wife tried it on the weekend for size and loved it, finding it much nicer to ride that her old Specialized hybrid even with the power off, so I've just ordered her one in the Sandy colour as that was all I could get in the Easy Entry style, due for delivery next week. I think it must have been one of the last in the country as it was the store's last one and I could only find one other store in the UK with one. Two other stores that didn't have any in stock both told me that they don't know when they will be getting any more, if at all! One seemed to think that Cube are not bothering with the UK market, preferring to supply the rest of Europe and other parts of the world, apparently due to issues with importing after Brexit.

On the weekend I fitted a Kryptonite Frame (Cafe) Lock with plugin chain to make it more convenient to quickly lock it up when we are out and about. A friend's friend recently had his bike stolen after just stopping for a coffee and sitting with the bike right next to him and somebody just grabbed it and rode off. I've also added an alarm. Yes, I'm paranoid it's going to get nicked!!

I have a Nyon due in a couple of weeks that I'm going to swap with the Intuvia display as we like touring and I want it for the navigation so I don't need my phone on the handlebars.

I feel particularly lucky that we managed to get two as it was the only bike I wanted after looking at all of the different offerings from other manufacturers.

Last edited:

The Silverfox

Pedelecer
Oct 13, 2021
Cardiff, UK
One question I want to ask: What are the four modes you have on yours? Mine are Eco, Tour, Sport and Turbo. I thought the latest motor update changes the Sport to eMTB or is that just on the mountain bikes?

CubeKathmandu

Oct 18, 2021
One question I want to ask: What are the four modes you have on yours? Mine are Eco, Tour, Sport and Turbo. I thought the latest motor update changes the Sport to eMTB or is that just on the mountain bikes?
eMTB is the Sport mode on this bike. If you check at the bottom of the display it tells you this - I noticed it and mistakenly thought it was in the mode box above! All part of settling in.

I'll be very interested to find out what you think of the Desert/ Orange colour when it arrives.

The Silverfox

Pedelecer
Oct 13, 2021
Cardiff, UK
eMTB is the Sport mode on this bike. If you check at the bottom of the display it tells you this - I noticed it and mistakenly thought it was in the mode box above! All part of settling in.

I'll be very interested to find out what you think of the Desert/ Orange colour when it arrives.
Thanks. I don't seem to have the support mode shown in the bottom part of the display, just in the grid at the top right. All I have in the bottom section is Trip, Odometer, Time, etc.

I read on the Bosch website that there is a Tour+ mode as of July 2021 but I don't see anything about that in the display either. I've checked the Software versions and they all seem to be up to date.

Perhaps I'll wait until I have fitted the Nyon display. That may give more details.

I'll be sure to comment on the Desert/Orange colour when we get it. We did hire a couple of Cube Reactions while on holiday in Scotland in August (our first go with eBikes) and the one I had was a sandy colour and seemed OK. We had a great time with them. We don't do MTB though, mainly touring, so the Cube Touring or Kathmandu seemed to be better for us.

TedG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2017
This may not be relevant but the easiest way to tell a 2021 model from a 2022 is that the later one has 11 gears. The "earlier" one has 10 speed.
There maybe some other differences but the one I was sitting on (my reflection looking like an extra from the Desert Storm Campaign) was the later version.

The Silverfox

Pedelecer
Oct 13, 2021
Cardiff, UK
This may not be relevant but the easiest way to tell a 2021 model from a 2022 is that the later one has 11 gears. The "earlier" one has 10 speed.
There maybe some other differences but the one I was sitting on (my reflection looking like an extra from the Desert Storm Campaign) was the later version.
Mine is the 2022 model, it has 11 gears.

You really don't like that colour do you! ;)

Reactions: TedG

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
I seemed to fall between sizes according to the sizing guides from Cube and other independent sites.
From the amount of times ive seen that quoted,including myself, I reckon we all fall between the manufacturers listed sizes ;)

The Silverfox

Pedelecer
Oct 13, 2021
Cardiff, UK
Another way of identifying the different years is the front mudguard attachments. On the 2021 model they have bands that wrap around the front forks whereas the 2022 model has mountings screwed into the front forks.

• Informative
Reactions: TedG

JamTop

Aug 22, 2021
Now Perfect! Finally I managed to get hold of a 280mm Redshift Shockstop seatpost (I wasn't convinced the 350mm would fit) and appropriate shim to replace the origninal. After a few tweaks (the weight adjustment suggestions for the post aren't particularly helpful) the ride is superb. With the suspension forks and the new seat post, jarring lumps and bumps are a thing of the past. It really can't get any better! Thoroughly recommend the Shockstop seat post if you're looking for a relaxed, comfortable ride.

Reactions: The Silverfox

The Silverfox

Pedelecer
Oct 13, 2021
Cardiff, UK
Now Perfect! Finally I managed to get hold of a 280mm Redshift Shockstop seatpost (I wasn't convinced the 350mm would fit) and appropriate shim to replace the origninal. After a few tweaks (the weight adjustment suggestions for the post aren't particularly helpful) the ride is superb. With the suspension forks and the new seat post, jarring lumps and bumps are a thing of the past. It really can't get any better! Thoroughly recommend the Shockstop seat post if you're looking for a relaxed, comfortable ride.
I would hope it was good for the cost of it!:oops:

JamTop

Aug 22, 2021
I would hope it was good for the cost of it!:oops:
Completely justified comment though it's far from the most expensive post I've seen. Having suffered a bit with my back in the past it seemed like a reasonable investment to me and so it seems to be proving. It is also the last piece of the jigsaw for me in putting together the dream setup I'd been saving for. That said, I appreciate that not everyone will be able to delve so deeply into their pockets.

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
anyone seen the 2022 Kathmandu 750wh battery with the Kiox display yet?

The Silverfox

Pedelecer
Oct 13, 2021
Cardiff, UK

I like the khaki/desert or whatever colour it is. Most bikes are grey or black so I think it makes a nice difference. My wife is quite indifferent to the colour.

I had the 200 mile service recently and they must have applied an update to the motor. It now shows eMTB on the display in place of Sport so I guess I didn’t have it originally but do now.