Cube Reaction Hybrid Pro/Bosch CX 500wh

L.spa

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 27, 2016
Did they have to do anything with the computer putting the new 17t cog on ? Apparently the cpu has all the gearing programmed into it..

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
no you can just change it over up to a max 22t

Reactions: git-r

git-r

Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2015
Did they have to do anything with the computer putting the new 17t cog on ? Apparently the cpu has all the gearing programmed into it..
I'm not really sure but will update if there are any problems. The shop I bought it from recommended the size so should be ok.

Cadence was way too high with the standard gearing, I think this has cured it :)

Reactions: soundwave

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
you should be able to get it to 30mph with a 17t ;)

git-r

Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2015
I'm sorry this thread is lacking photo's!!

Here's one.. just got the ortileb bags - they'd better be good quality as they were £90!

I did 10 miles with them full and it didn't seem to make any difference to performance despite there being a lot of extra weight.

Reactions: EddiePJ

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
with a 19t on mine got it to dongle cut off speed ;) lot of effort tho tbh.

git-r

Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2015
Did my first commute today with it creak free and slightly modified ...

:) :) :)

Going by train I would have needed to leave at least 1.5 hours and it would've cost £12.10

I left about the same time to do the journey and it took about 30 mins!!!!

Holy crap this is a serious improvement in my quality of life :)

Cycling would have meant showering, taking a change of clothes and leaving more time to get there. It would also have meant I wouldn't have gone for a beer after :)

And driving the same journey? -congestion charge and parking at least £40 and probably 2+hours of journey time.

The change in gearing has made it much better, effortlessly much faster than I'd manage on my road bike and it feels safer when I'm not spinning all the time. The motor has enough power to make most hills in top gear on the standard gearing at 15 mph lol!!

Yes I'm very happy I've got an ebike! - many, many thanks for the advice I got here - I think I ended up with the right one :)

Despite my massive petrolhead indulgence it's the best method of transport I own :)

git-r

Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2015
It's very good this ebike :)

Covered around 30 miles today. Charged at first work place then went to second work place then came home. Loaded with the Ortileb bags that seem to be very good.

Long day made an hour shorter and more enjoyable because of this machine :)

It's going to be a heavy week. More than 50 miles in 2 days of use already with another 100 miles due.

There's some heavy rain forecast. Presuming it's ok to use ebikes in the rain???

Travel saving for this week (if I didn't buy a travel card) - £84.70

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
It's very good this ebike :)

Covered around 30 miles today. Charged at first work place then went to second work place then came home. Loaded with the Ortileb bags that seem to be very good.

Long day made an hour shorter and more enjoyable because of this machine :)

It's going to be a heavy week. More than 50 miles in 2 days of use already with another 100 miles due.

There's some heavy rain forecast. Presuming it's ok to use ebikes in the rain???

Travel saving for this week (if I didn't buy a travel card) - £84.70
Bosch describe the system as splash proof.

I've used my Bosch bikes in heavy rain, only problem was a bit of damp got under the display unit/connector at a cafe stop.

Cured by a wipe dry.

I've ridden through crank deep water on a cycle path a couple of times.

Motor was fine, I adopted the car technique of creating a bow wave by making slow but continuous progress.

You should have no worries on the road, but it's probably worth going steadily through any deep puddles.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I read this this morning so I thought I would try (for the first time since June) getting out in some real rain over my normal route. The battery didn't like the nippy 9°C, there is fresh snow on the top of the hills er sorry... Basque mountains :p

No problems with water. Muscular problems indicate that I have been off the bike, because of wind and rain, for a bit too long.

Most of the way on assistance level 5 and an average of about 22 km/h.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
git-r most of this is irrelevant to you, but I'll post it anyway. :)

Starting at the handlebar end, water is prone to get between the HDMI (console) and the connecting housing bracket. It takes surprisingly little rain to enter between the two, and I would advise removal of the console between wet rides, the drying of the two components, and the application of dielectric lube. Most error codes can be traced back to either this element of the system or the battery connector. If you ever get error codes come up, check both first.

I also regularly remove the plastic cover from the mode setting switch and clean behind. With my off road use in all weather conditions, moisture and crud get behind. This doesn't affect the system in any way though. In your case I wouldn't advise removing it, as it has two very small plastic securing pins that could easily be snapped.

Moving down to the battery. This is an area of concern, as water collects between the battery and the connecting block.

With this area, as well as removing the battery after each ride and ensuring that the contacts are clean and dry on both the battery and the connection block, every few weeks or so, I also remove the plastic case that surrounds the block, as this is another trap for moisture and crud. Apply dielectric to the contact points.

At this point, I should also mention the lock that secures the battery. This is quite a problem if using the bike in adverse conditions, and soon becomes stiff in operation. I often remove and clean the outer plastic cover, and in respect of the lock, I use either graphite powder, or ceramic dry chain lube. Just a small dab of it, wiped on, then off the key, usually makes a massive difference.

Now the motor. My bike spends most of the time looking like this.

What I will say is that you don't have anything to worry about in respect of the cases. Very little moisture actually ever enters the cases, and the connection blocks always remain moisture free.
I would suggest that you take a look to see if you have the plain alloy motor such as mine below.

If you do have plain cases, then I would strongly recommend using something such as ACF50 to coat the motor. They really do not like being even remotely damp, and corrosion quickly sets in. You might be lucky and have the new black cases, which presumably won't ever be an issue.

A handy hint for you at bike washing time, is to remove both the console and battery, and then fit a latex glove to both mounts. As you will also see, I have some very large holes to the sprocket area of my motor cases. The cover was destroyed a very long time ago, but it does go to show, how even with these holes. very little in the way of water ever gets in.

Finally, please don't feel put off by what I have shown. My use of the e-mtb is very different to most, and whilst the above looks severe, the reality is that you have nothing to worry about. :)

The Bosch system is very good. Just get on and enjoy the bike. :)

Last edited:

stumpy150

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 9, 2015
Yorkshire
They told you the pedals were not permanent and would need changing ?????sounds like they are spreading bullshit about :)

git-r

Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2015
I read this this morning so I thought I would try (for the first time since June) getting out in some real rain over my normal route. The battery didn't like the nippy 9°C, there is fresh snow on the top of the hills er sorry... Basque mountains :p

No problems with water. Muscular problems indicate that I have been off the bike, because of wind and rain, for a bit too long.

Most of the way on assistance level 5 and an average of about 22 km/h.

Good for you for breaking the ice so to speak ;)

9 degrees is about 9 times warmer than what it's been here lol!

git-r

Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2015
Bosch describe the system as splash proof.

I've used my Bosch bikes in heavy rain, only problem was a bit of damp got under the display unit/connector at a cafe stop.

Cured by a wipe dry.

I've ridden through crank deep water on a cycle path a couple of times.

Motor was fine, I adopted the car technique of creating a bow wave by making slow but continuous progress.

You should have no worries on the road, but it's probably worth going steadily through any deep puddles.
Many thanks for this Rob - good to know. I've yet to venture off road with it, but would like to :)

git-r

Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2015
git-r most of this is irrelevant to you, but I'll post it anyway. :)

Starting at the handlebar end, water is prone to get between the HDMI (console) and the connecting housing bracket. It takes surprisingly little rain to enter between the two, and I would advise removal of the console between wet rides, the drying of the two components, and the application of dielectric lube. Most error codes can be traced back to either this element of the system or the battery connector. If you ever get error codes come up, check both first.

I also regularly remove the plastic cover from the mode setting switch and clean behind. With my off road use in all weather conditions, moisture and crud get behind. This doesn't affect the system in any way though. In your case I wouldn't advise removing it, as it has two very small plastic securing pins that could easily be snapped.

Moving down to the battery. This is an area of concern, as water collects between the battery and the connecting block.

With this area, as well as removing the battery after each ride and ensuring that the contacts are clean and dry on both the battery and the connection block, every few weeks or so, I also remove the plastic case that surrounds the block, as this is another trap for moisture and crud. Apply dielectric to the contact points.

At this point, I should also mention the lock that secures the battery. This is quite a problem if using the bike in adverse conditions, and soon becomes stiff in operation. I often remove and clean the outer plastic cover, and in respect of the lock, I use either graphite powder, or ceramic dry chain lube. Just a small dab of it, wiped on, then off the key, usually makes a massive difference.

Now the motor. My bike spends most of the time looking like this.

What I will say is that you don't have anything to worry about in respect of the cases. Very little moisture actually ever enters the cases, and the connection blocks always remain moisture free.
I would suggest that you take a look to see if you have the plain alloy motor such as mine below.

If you do have plain cases, then I would strongly recommend using something such as ACF50 to coat the motor. They really do not like being even remotely damp, and corrosion quickly sets in. You might be lucky and have the new black cases, which presumably won't ever be an issue.

A handy hint for you at bike washing time, is to remove both the console and battery, and then fit a latex glove to both mounts. As you will also see, I have some very large holes to the sprocket area of my motor cases. The cover was destroyed a very long time ago, but it does go to show, how even with these holes. very little in the way of water ever gets in.

Finally, please don't feel put off by what I have shown. My use of the e-mtb is very different to most, and whilst the above looks severe, the reality is that you have nothing to worry about. :)

The Bosch system is very good. Just get on and enjoy the bike. :)
What a brilliant post - thank you! :)

There's so much useful information there we should make a separate thread/sticky as it'd help a lot of people.

Seeing the type of use yours is getting makes me feel very reassured about using mine. You must be a very practiced cleaner! Must be great fun getting the bike like that :)

I think the motor is black, can't really see when shining a light through the bottom of the plastic casing (it still doesn't fit properly - won't clip in at the bottom) but will check in daylight.

Thanks again - great post :)