Cube Reaction Hybrid Pro/Bosch CX 500wh

git-r

Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2015
They told you the pedals were not permanent and would need changing ?????sounds like they are spreading bullshit about :)
Yeah it did cross my mind but we were trying to find the cause of the creak so understandable to want to check pedals. I think the pedals are fine but I'm currently using ones that came with my road bike. When I got my road bike they told me the same about the pedals it came with - not really meant for permanent use.

git-r

Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2015
UPDATE:

The bike is probably nudging 500 miles now.

All fine other than it's constantly jumping out of top gear and the brakes need adjusting again.

Fingers crossed the gears just need adjustment. It's like I've changed gear when I haven't then stays in top gear. Maybe the Derailleur isn't quite aligned? Any ideas?

Over 40 miles today.

Left home around 9 (much later than any other means of transport :) ), finished early at first work so decided to come home before doing another trip for second work in the eve.

Left London at 23:47. Arrived home at 00:14..

It was 9 miles.

27 mins for 9 miles.

If anyone had told me I could do that journey in that time I'd have laughed :)

Battery is OK but just OK. Doing the mileage today, I didn't manage to fully recharge after 12 miles and a two hour break.

Saving at least £200 in travel.. In 1 month :)

Anyone want to buy a really nice road bike? ;)

EDIT: sorry, forgot to say the problems with the gears and brakes are quite normal for a new bike in my experience.

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
The cable has probably stretched a fraction so the outer needs extending ever so slightly, it'll have adjusters somewhere, on the rear derailleur, on the shifter or on a cable mount on the frame.

Reactions: git-r

git-r

Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2015
The cable has probably stretched a fraction so the outer needs extending ever so slightly, it'll have adjusters somewhere, on the rear derailleur, on the shifter or on a cable mount on the frame.
This is what I was thinking - many thanks for this. Will take a look and probably make it worse then take it to my LBS lol!

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
It's very easy really, you just need to lengthen the outer cable a fraction with an adjuster. When looking from behind the bike the chain line from a sprocket down through the rear derailleur needs to be straight.

SSSS

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 6, 2016
Battery is OK but just OK. Doing the mileage today, I didn't manage to fully recharge after 12 miles and a two hour break.
Hello and thank you for very informative reviews about your Cube. Have you tried that how many miles (is it about 1,6 km) you can ride basic commute riding with fully charged 500Wh battery?

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
git-r as has already been said, it is just simple cable stretch, and it is likely to happen to most bikes at some stage or another.

At your mileage, it would be no bad thing that to go back to the shop for an interim check over of the bike.

Also with your mileage rate, it might also be worth you investing in the tools required to remove the pedal cranks and sprocket. I'm only saying this so that you can rotate/turn over the front sprocket, so keeping the wear even, and potentially increasing the life span of the sprocket and chain. It's not a daunting task to do. :)

git-r

Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2015
Hello and thank you for very informative reviews about your Cube. Have you tried that how many miles (is it about 1,6 km) you can ride basic commute riding with fully charged 500Wh battery?
You're most welcome - I was hoping this post might help others so am pleased you posted :)

Battery life is dependant on many things - power setting, rider weight, luggage weight, speed, type of journey etc.

I'm travelling with lots of everything above; using only the highest assistance setting and maximum mileage out of a single charge is 25 or 40 KM.

If you travelled with less weight and only used a lower power setting you'd go much further but it's no problem for me to charge between journeys which I do all the time. The charger is small and light. With the rack and paniers it's no problem to take it. And a kitchen sink if necessary :)

Unlike others have found here, I see this bike as more of a motorised vehicle like a mo-ped than a bicycle. I've done 130 miles (200km) in 4 days but don't feel tired or sore. I do wish I'd got one with rear suspension though despite only using it on the road... so far... ;)

git-r

Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2015
git-r as has already been said, it is just simple cable stretch, and it is likely to happen to most bikes at some stage or another.

At your mileage, it would be no bad thing that to go back to the shop for an interim check over of the bike.

Also with your mileage rate, it might also be worth you investing in the tools required to remove the pedal cranks and sprocket. I'm only saying this so that you can rotate/turn over the front sprocket, so keeping the wear even, and potentially increasing the life span of the sprocket and chain. It's not a daunting task to do. :)
Thanks Eddie :)

The bike has an adjuster on the gear selector which I tried to play with but ended up making the problem worse then about the same lol! LBS sorted it in 5 mins :)

I'll make a separate post with the details as people reading this will probably skim through to the updates.

Thanks for the hint about the tools and swapping the sprocket :)

git-r

Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2015
UPDATE:

After tying to adjust the gears on the handlebar myself over several journeys I gave up and took it to my LBS (not where I bought the bike from). They had it fixed in seconds and oiled the chain etc free of charge :)

36 miles today and 2 commutes. The second was after the LBS had fixed it and it felt so much better than the first - beautifully silent. Unfortunately after a while I noticed it still does the same thing occasionally but much less than before. It won't stop me from using it.

This week has seen 130+ miles in 4 days with another 25 to add tomorrow. Sounds painful but hasn't been :)

SSSS

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 6, 2016
Battery life is dependant on many things - power setting, rider weight, luggage weight, speed, type of journey etc.
I'm travelling with lots of everything above; using only the highest assistance setting and maximum mileage out of a single charge is 25 or 40 KM.
My weight is about 70 kg and I have cycled (traditional Cyclocross) quite much, so I think that on the leisure driving I''ll be using mostly "tour" or "eco" assist settings.

I just got message that my locar dealer got last week one Cube Reaction Hybrid hpa 29" pro or race to test drive. Can't wait to go there and drive little a bit with that.

git-r

Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2015
UPDATE:

Bike has covered around 800 miles.

PROBLEMS:

- the battery for the badassbikes dongle went flat for the second time. At around £8 it's not cheap.

- back brake pads worn out and have scored the disc. £10 for replacements and £15 to fit.

It's usage has dropped recently but only because I haven't been working as much. I've used it everyday I've needed to get into London and still very much enjoying it :)

Savings over taking the train would be at least £500 now!!

Reactions: falmouthtony

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
you should be able to get 5000km out of the batt as i have not changed mine since i put it on the bike well over a year ago now.

seems strange you have gone through 2 all ready,?

git-r

Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2015
you should be able to get 5000km out of the batt as i have not changed mine since i put it on the bike well over a year ago now.

seems strange you have gone through 2 all ready,?
Yeah it does seem a bit strange it's getting through them at this rate. It's had about 45 hours use in total. I now take a spare with me just in case.

If it does it again I may drop badassbikes an email to see what they think.

A bit disappointed the pads have worn out so quickly. Fronts are still ok. With the mileage its covering it'd mean replacing them every 3 months :(

Reactions: soundwave

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
yeah id email them as it should last a lot longer than that, my bike eats the rear pads no matter what i use so have 2 sets spare of both organic and sintered.

the sintered 1s last a bit longer but not much on my bike anyway.

StewC

Pedelecer
Feb 20, 2016
Lancing, on the South Downs.
THE CREAK IS NO LONGER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:)

It was just bolts holding the motor to the frame that needed tightening, it is now silent and SO much nicer to ride :)

Got the same LBS to do it and they were great, fitted a 17t gear too which after a brief ride today seems to have made a big difference. Will report back after some more use but really pleased with this modification!
I also find the gearing a little low on my Bosch CX, but when removing the pedal arm I see there isn't much clearance between chain and the plastic motor housing, at the top edge. mine has a 15t sprocket currently, and it looks like if I were to go much bigger it would foul the motor casing.

Attachments

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
I also find the gearing a little low on my Bosch CX, but when removing the pedal arm I see there isn't much clearance between chain and the plastic motor housing, at the top edge. mine has a 15t sprocket currently, and it looks like if I were to go much bigger it would foul the motor casing.
Blimey that lock ring has had some hammer :eek:

Reactions: EddiePJ

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Can you tinker with the gearing at the other end?