Cube Touring Hybrid One 500 2019 or Cube Touring Hybrid 500 2019

Shropshire Fred

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 7, 2013
I recommend you phone or call into Race.co cycles of Stourbridge. Tell them what you want. You will get good advice (well me and my brother both did) and then ask them if they can do you a good deal - you may well find them helpful on this. They are genuine people and helpful. I have no connection with this shop other than I bought my ebike from them. I took my brother there a couple of days ago. He had spent quite a time looking at various ebikes at various shops and bought one on his first visit to Race.co. The most difficult part is finding how to get to their shop - you can see it from the ring road but you need a map to navigate your way to it. I think they had a touring in stock but I couldn't tell you which version.

I've got a Cube Acid with the Active Line Plus motor and I reckon it is very good on hills. See https://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/can-an-active-line-plus-climb.34241/#post-493441 . My brother bought the Reaction with bigger tyres and a CX motor but that is more than I need. If you go on trails more than roads the Acid is great. I have the Allroad version with mudguards and lights and moderately big tyres.
Thanks. That’s very helpful.

Stumac62

Pedelecer
Mar 16, 2019
Reactions: Shropshire Fred

Tawse57

Mar 28, 2019
Hi folks,

First time poster, just joined the forum, was about to post the same question(s) as Shropshire Fred so hope you don't mind me joining in on here.

I watched Andy's review on youtube a few days ago. Really enjoyed it. It was nice to get a Brit's review of the Cube e-bike. There is an American youtuber who reviews e-bikes and he has done 2 or 3 reviews, IIRC, on the Cube touring and cross range of e-bikes. His reviews are very good but Andy's was a good Brit review more aware of our locale and climate than someone in California.

I find the number of Cube e-bikes to be simply over-whelming. They have so many variations that I am finding it hard to compare apples with apples. I've noticed that prices can vary by several hundred pounds for what I think are the same model but in different etailers.

My main reason for posting here is does anyone know of any Cube size charts for these bikes? I can't find one anywhere.

I am 6 foot tall with a 33.5 inside leg. I am learning towards the model that is sold as a ladies bike in the UK but I notice that Cube calls it the Trapeze. I will be looking to have pannier bags on mine and would find being able to step through the frame easier than trying to get my leg over bags on a rear rack.

Anyhow, I suspect that the 54cm version of the Trapeze model - the biggest size which is about 21.5 inches - would be best for me but I would like to see what Cube thinks. As I say, I can't find any sizing charts from Cube.

Sorry, ranted away.

Reactions: Andy McNish

Jowwy

Pedelecer
Jul 20, 2018
Hi folks,

First time poster, just joined the forum, was about to post the same question(s) as Shropshire Fred so hope you don't mind me joining in on here.

I watched Andy's review on youtube a few days ago. Really enjoyed it. It was nice to get a Brit's review of the Cube e-bike. There is an American youtuber who reviews e-bikes and he has done 2 or 3 reviews, IIRC, on the Cube touring and cross range of e-bikes. His reviews are very good but Andy's was a good Brit review more aware of our locale and climate than someone in California.

I find the number of Cube e-bikes to be simply over-whelming. They have so many variations that I am finding it hard to compare apples with apples. I've noticed that prices can vary by several hundred pounds for what I think are the same model but in different etailers.

My main reason for posting here is does anyone know of any Cube size charts for these bikes? I can't find one anywhere.

I am 6 foot tall with a 33.5 inside leg. I am learning towards the model that is sold as a ladies bike in the UK but I notice that Cube calls it the Trapeze. I will be looking to have pannier bags on mine and would find being able to step through the frame easier than trying to get my leg over bags on a rear rack.

Anyhow, I suspect that the 54cm version of the Trapeze model - the biggest size which is about 21.5 inches - would be best for me but I would like to see what Cube thinks. As I say, I can't find any sizing charts from Cube.

Sorry, ranted away.
I got 2 x cube acids......I have need for any other type of ebike and the active+ motor more than meets my needs and I’m an 18st 11lb commuter

Reactions: Tawse57

Shropshire Fred

Apr 7, 2013
Hi folks,

Sorry, ranted away.
If you go on the Cube website (eu), choose a model and then hover over the drawing of the bike, dimensions pop up.

Even better, use this link:

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/variant/a/browse/mobileSizeChartInfoNormal.jsp?productId=prod181721

Last edited:

Tawse57

Mar 28, 2019

Eagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2012
Tawse57,
Have a look at my initial reaction to my Haibike Sduro FullSeven:https://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/haibike-sduro-fullseven-3-0-initial-reaction-and-recommendations.34087/#post-490036

Extract:
"NB Don’t take too much notice of dealers’ charts with recommended bike sizes for given heights and leg lengths. My bike is a 52 or XL and I am 5ft 11ins with a 31 inch leg and quite long arms. The chart recommended a smaller bike. I strongly advise taking a test ride at your LBS and taking their advice on correct sizing for any given riding position".

There is no substitute for a fairly long test ride on your local hills. You will learn a great deal I can assure you.
If your LBS is not accommodating, find another bike shop that is.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
DSCF0257.JPG
:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Tawse57

Mar 28, 2019
I got the Cube Touring 500 2019 Iridium version - 9 speed but with suspension seat post and Intuvia controller etc. from a B&M shop for £1570 just before Xmas, so those prices look a little steep to me.

You can look at my review on here or on my youtube channel.

Both are very solid bikes.

Andy, are you definitely sure that yours is the 2019 model and not 2018? I can't see any difference between the year models except price.

If yours is 2019 you got a great deal. I would be inclined to hold out for a similar price.

A friend bought an Orbea non ebike mtb recently for half price as it was supposedly 2018 model but it is exactly identical to the supposed 2019 models at double the price.

Reactions: Stumac62

Andy McNish

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 28, 2018
It was meant to be the 2019 model but, as you say, the spec. is bascially identical so why would it matter- both are brand new bikes after all...the shipment came into the UK a few days before Xmas 2018 from Cube in Germany...

Tawse57

Mar 28, 2019
That looks like my bike in all significant respects. For £1600 I think it's just about the best deal out there...
Your bike has a better rack IIRC - sturdier, built into the frame and probably capable of heavier load. Just another point for folks to consider I guess.

Jon Matthews

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2018
Hi Fred,

I have the Purion and have ridden a bike with the Intuvia also, realistically the Purion tells you all you need to know. I have a 2018 Cube Cross Hybrid Pro and it's a great quality bike. Nothing has broken on it in the last 700 miles. I used to worry about battery range as I have the 400wh battery, as I've got much fitter and lighter I use the battery less. I used to set the power rating to tour and eco a lot but have come to realise that EMTB setting is best as it sort of gives you the best power to range ratio. If you pedal hard in EMTB it uses less power, it's like an auto setting. My bike has the CX motor and I'd highly recommend that.

I have done a few mods to my bike but nothing radical, I changed my tyres twice and now have Schwalbe Marathon MTB puncture resistant tyres front and back with a 2.1 inch width. I have some more summer tyres which are a bit narrower Schwalbe 365 Marathon +, take a look at my other posts about punctures.

Last edited:

Jon Matthews

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2018
Fred, I have to say the bike Andy has posted Cube Touring Hybrid One 500 2018, looks like a bargain. I paid £1800 for mine.

Stumac62

Pedelecer
Mar 16, 2019
That looks like my bike in all significant respects. For £1600 I think it's just about the best deal out there...

Hi Andy. Did your bike come with a UK plug on the charger lead? My bike (same as yours) came with a Euro 2 pin plug! Luckily I have a 3 pin plug lead I can use instead.

Lovely bikes these Cube bikes, great build quality.

Stu.

Andy McNish

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 28, 2018
Hi Andy. Did your bike come with a UK plug on the charger lead? My bike (same as yours) came with a Euro 2 pin plug! Luckily I have a 3 pin plug lead I can use instead.

Lovely bikes these Cube bikes, great build quality.

Stu.
UK plug on mine.

Yes, the thing is built like a tank. Done 800 km now on mine and literally not even had a squeak (well apart from when I got oil on my brake pads!)

And the 47mm tyres and suspension on front and seat post means a comfy ride even across the cobbles and various dodgy surfaces that I come across.

As I said the only negative at all is the weight - 23kg and over 30kg once panniers on and loaded).

It's not a bike you want to be carrying over styles, up stairs or lifting onto roof racks!

And with the motor off (which is how I use it for 75% of the time) progress is comfortable and stately rather than rapid. More a Rolls Royce than a Ferrari. But a bargain Rolls Royce is not to be sniffed at!

I'm sure you'll have a fantastic time on yours. Enjoy!

Last edited:

Shropshire Fred

Apr 7, 2013
Not yet. Got to sort out a tow bar extender first so can mount the bike carrier on my car. Will then sort out my test rides. Will post a review once have made the purchase.