Curious clicking noise from Agattu!!

StrangeFish

Pedelecer
Jan 24, 2008
Bristol (BS14) UK.
Hi Guys'n'gals!

..Not started commuting to work on my Agattu just yet!! My son took me out and about locally in order to get me used to cycling again after all the intervening years. Unbelievable how many lanes and alleyways there are around here! My son thought it was absolutely essential that I cover as mainy different types of terrain in as short a space of time as possible,(we had an hour). We did all this and it was ok-ish! At my age, weight, and poor level of fitness however, I am not at all sure how I'm gonna feel in the morning :eek:

Anyway, when I switched the power on, a clicking noise could be heard coming from the bottom bracket or motor,(think it must be the motor),as I was pedalling along. When I switched the power off, the clicking ceased ! Most odd, anyone any ideas as to what this might be please?

Regards,

StrangeFish :confused:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Very odd, difficult to tell at a distance of course.

Can you say if the clicking varied when you changed the force you exerted when you pedalled?

Also the rate of clicking, was it at the same rate you pedalled at, or faster, or very much faster?

I'm trying to get some idea whether it's internal or external on the motor unit, as it's likely to be related to the gear train or motor chain sprocket.

essexman

Pedelecer
Dec 17, 2007
cb11
Hi StrangeFish,

Just to confirm it doesnt happen on mine. Your still under warranty so i'd call 50cycles at the very least for their opinion.

Good luck

PS It gets better in the morning in the end! Eventually your commute will go like this:
Monday: Superman on wheels!
Tuesday: Probably only a bronze at the world championships
Wedenesday: Your you.
Thursday: Feeling under the weather
Friday: You have aged 20 years! Proceed to collapse at end of ride

:)

musicbooks

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2007
Hi Strangefish,
No clicking on mine either. I was a little 'enthusiastic' with my gear changing at the start and this caused the chain to slip (and click) . Could it be that? Are you pausing slightly between changes?

I'm now into week 2 of my commute.. (Report to follow) ..Feeling fit as a fiddle..Legs like tree trunks... lots of energy in the evening.. Yeh.. right.. dream on!.. more like knackered, grumpy old trout slumped in a chair with a beer, shouting at the wife and kid.. unable to stretch over the crossbar in the morning through fear of a triple hernia..:eek:
BW
musicbooks

StrangeFish

Pedelecer
Jan 24, 2008
Bristol (BS14) UK.
Very odd, difficult to tell at a distance of course.

Can you say if the clicking varied when you changed the force you exerted when you pedalled?

Also the rate of clicking, was it at the same rate you pedalled at, or faster, or very much faster?

I'm trying to get some idea whether it's internal or external on the motor unit, as it's likely to be related to the gear train or motor chain sprocket.
Hi Flecc!

Yes, the clicking seems to occur every 2 or 3 revolutions and there is no variation in volume or intensity, but it is very audible and of course, quite annoying! It is also regular and not "erratic". It did not vary in any way when applying force at different levels. I shall have to take it out again Flecc, probably tomorrow evening, so that I can be more specific about what is going on. Thanks for now anyway, be in touch soon,

All the best. :)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes, perhaps you can say if you mean one click for every two or three revolutions of the crank. If so it's possibly something related to the chain rather than the motor unit.

StrangeFish

Pedelecer
Jan 24, 2008
Bristol (BS14) UK.
Hi StrangeFish,

Just to confirm it doesnt happen on mine. Your still under warranty so i'd call 50cycles at the very least for their opinion.

Good luck

PS It gets better in the morning in the end! Eventually your commute will go like this:
Monday: Superman on wheels!
Tuesday: Probably only a bronze at the world championships
Wedenesday: Your you.
Thursday: Feeling under the weather
Friday: You have aged 20 years! Proceed to collapse at end of ride

:)
Hi essexman !

Yeah, thanks for advice, will kick the ideas around a bit more first, but will probably end up 'phoning 50c in the end.

I like the prediction for when I start commuting,(made I chuckle-lots). Monday and Tuesday are probably just a tad over- optimistic however :D 'Bye for now.

StrangeFish

Pedelecer
Jan 24, 2008
Bristol (BS14) UK.
Hi Strangefish,
No clicking on mine either. I was a little 'enthusiastic' with my gear changing at the start and this caused the chain to slip (and click) . Could it be that? Are you pausing slightly between changes?

I'm now into week 2 of my commute.. (Report to follow) ..Feeling fit as a fiddle..Legs like tree trunks... lots of energy in the evening.. Yeh.. right.. dream on!.. more like knackered, grumpy old trout slumped in a chair with a beer, shouting at the wife and kid.. unable to stretch over the crossbar in the morning through fear of a triple hernia..:eek:
BW
musicbooks
Hi musicbooks!

Well I am a bit all over the place at present, and whilst I am trying to do everything right, I am probably not pausing very much between gear changes at the mo'. But I have to say if you had been with me trying to follow my son last night, mixing up the terrain as we were proceeding - you would probably have understood why I was rushing the changes!

I had to laugh at your description of yourself, almost exactly like I felt when I got back from that ride with my son last night. I ended up with a Sprite instead of a beer though..rats!! :(

Cheers for now mb. :D

StrangeFish

Pedelecer
Jan 24, 2008
Bristol (BS14) UK.
Yes, perhaps you can say if you mean one click for every two or three revolutions of the crank. If so it's possibly something related to the chain rather than the motor unit.
Yes, I think that's the case Flecc, but as I say, I shall have to take the bike out again so that I can be more specific when I come back to the forum. Well, I am off to bed now, thanks for your interest and encouragement, and my thanks go to essexman and musicbooks also,

G'night :)

Lloyd_50cycles

Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2008
Nottingham
Hi StrangeFish, It sounds to me like you have a stiff or loose chain link. This would be less audible or non-apparent without power due to a reduced load on the chain. An easy way to tell is to inspect the whole chain link by link to see if any are stiff, or splayed. By splayed I mean the sides of the chain link are pushed out slightly, therefore interfering with the guide wheel situated under the chainset. Watch the guide wheel carefully as you backpedal and you will see the chain jump slightly when the affected link goes through it. Once you have located the suspect link you can quickly adjust it if you have a chain link extractor, or alternatively just ask your local shop to do it, and if there is any charge we will reimburse you. I hope that helps, any further questions feel free to give me a call.
All the best
Lloyd

StrangeFish

Pedelecer
Jan 24, 2008
Bristol (BS14) UK.
Hi StrangeFish, It sounds to me like you have a stiff or loose chain link. This would be less audible or non-apparent without power due to a reduced load on the chain. An easy way to tell is to inspect the whole chain link by link to see if any are stiff, or splayed. By splayed I mean the sides of the chain link are pushed out slightly, therefore interfering with the guide wheel situated under the chainset. Watch the guide wheel carefully as you backpedal and you will see the chain jump slightly when the affected link goes through it. Once you have located the suspect link you can quickly adjust it if you have a chain link extractor, or alternatively just ask your local shop to do it, and if there is any charge we will reimburse you. I hope that helps, any further questions feel free to give me a call.
All the best
Lloyd
Hi Lloyd!

..Have just got back from work. Thanks for that, will have a bite to eat, and pop out and have a look. Your suggestion sounds like a distinct possibility

'Bye for now :)