Currie licenses Kutter drive

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I don't get it Miles. :confused: Where's the motor, and what is this differential system?

Online searching under the different names just gets the same waffle about unique differential, presumably a poor mans Swizzbee, but no explanations.

The grotty photo on the PDF doesn't reveal enough detail to work out the drive system, or even see where the motor is.

Not surprising it goes though, 700 watts of illegality here!

Miles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 4, 2006
Hi Flecc,

It seems to be the same system as the Swizzbee - motor behind seatpost with a belt to the rear hub.

The Kutter hub is a kind of differential....

swizzbee - About - Swizzbee

velocity

I was thinking that if anything does eventually come of it, it might also be a source for parts:D

jac

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 1, 2007
i assume they are going to produce the swizzbee system under licence whiich would be nice if they keep quality of swizzbee but reduce price to a more competitive level

Miles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 4, 2006
Strictly speaking, it's not the Swizzbee system but the Dolphin one - although Swizzbee seem to have a share in Dolphin...

Reading between the lines, it looks like Currie will use the Kutter transmission/control system with their own motors - so, some money to be saved over the Heinzman motors, I guess....

We'll have to wait and see what emerges when Currie have sorted out their chapter 11 bankruptcy procedure...

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Thanks Miles, I know the Swizzbee details, but the Dolphin stuff made me think it was something different. It's obviously going to be at the higher price end again, but as you say, parts could come out of all this. :)

Can't help feeling that we need a large popular market for e-bikes before these advanced variants can get a real footing.