Curries go straight through!

Andy Day

Pedelecer
Apr 2, 2008
To the scrapheap!

I'm now disgusted at the unreliability of the BMC400 motor as used on Currie kits. I've given the thing every chance, but there is such a pattern of unreliability I don't know how such a product could ever have come to the market.

First BMC400 burst into flames after a 500 yard level journey, life 1500 miles.

Second just died, life 1000 miles.

Third developed a hot, (well slightly warm) cutting out fault after 400 miles life but is still struggling on at 2,500 miles .

Fourth has just gone completely short circuit and blows the fuse after 100 miles!

I suspect the solution is to junk the lot and buy a decent bike on the recommendation of honest folk, such as the subscribers to this forum.

Certainly not to believe the BS coming from most commercial sellers of these undeveloped products!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Originally they had their own motors in several variants, but last I knew they were using the Unite motor:

Tnc

Is this the one you've been using? It doesn't sound like it from that reference you gave.

Andy Day

Pedelecer
Apr 2, 2008
Hi Flecc, all the motors which have died on me are the ones with the integral speed controller and a black painted finned casing. The latest mortality is marked "S S Natu P&M PMT LTD, US Patent 6104112" It's physically identical to all the others which have died, although they seem to come from a variety of manufacturers and are rated variously at 300 or 400 watts.

It's nothing like the one in your link which appears to have a separate speed controller, mine has a axial epicyclic gearbox with a sprocket on the end for #25 chain.

I understand the latest creations with a Currie label have a less efficient brushed motor and an ESC in the battery box, that is probably the one you refer to, but I'm reluctant to throw more money down the pan on products that have had precious little development, and are so poorly supported.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes, that latest is probably the one.

I think the Currie Electrodrive has probably had it's day now anyway, e-bikes having moved on a long way since it was first introduced many years ago.