Custom ebike kit vs ready built

johnboy

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 24, 2015
I am looking to replace my existing ebike. I am looking for the following specs:

1. Good battery
2. High torque motor, able to tackle hills
3. Pannier rack
4. Lightweight frame if possible (low frame would be nice)
5. Able to be derestricted
6. Electric gear (Nuvinci or others) - not a deal breaker
7. Hydraulic brakes
8. Budget to £1500
9. Want front suspension forks
10. Bike not to look too much like an ebike

I did look around for some bikes but none of them seemed to fit the bill completely. Would it be easier to have this built from a conversion kit instead. If I weren't too confident about doing it myself is there somebody that can build this for me. I did start to look for sourcing a suitable donor and looking at bafang bbs01 motor but wasn't really getting anywhere.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
#4. Do you mean Dutch style step through or just a lower crossbar type bike ?

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I have a frame like that in front of me as I type. My current problem (besides money...) is finding a battery that will fit in that small triangle. I think maybe the new 08 bottle battery might go in there, just a "heads up" and something for you to check.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Some call them unisex bikes but I'm old fashioned and they are ladies bikes so you need to look at those. For your requirements a custom built bike is the way the only sensible place to fit a battery is on a rear rack. For a light way frame them most high torque motors will add weight making them pointless as weight makes little difference to e bikes unless you wish to carry it every where, However if you want to try and keep the weight down on a custom build then the Xiongda 2 speed hub kit is a quiet high torque hub a good hill climber alternatively a crank drive. The triangle is very tight to try and get any off the shelf battery in there even the 08/ Hal would struggle I think, the thing is get the dims of the battt and then try and find a frame it may fit.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I am too old to care if it is called a ladies frame anymore! o_O The weather has finally turned to jean wearing temperature and I have trouble getting my leg over the bar, this type of frame is ideal.

You have to measure the space at the narrow end of the frame and have enough room to slide the 08 battery 2cm forward to take it out of the holder.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Trex may be able to give some insight on this , Woosh I believe are going to have low step version of the Karoo at the end of the year a pic would be good.

johnboy

Sep 24, 2015
Some call them unisex bikes but I'm old fashioned and they are ladies bikes so you need to look at those. For your requirements a custom built bike is the way the only sensible place to fit a battery is on a rear rack. For a light way frame them most high torque motors will add weight making them pointless as weight makes little difference to e bikes unless you wish to carry it every where, However if you want to try and keep the weight down on a custom build then the Xiongda 2 speed hub kit is a quiet high torque hub a good hill climber alternatively a crank drive. The triangle is very tight to try and get any off the shelf battery in there even the 08/ Hal would struggle I think, the thing is get the dims of the battt and then try and find a frame it may fit.
I did look at http://www.ebike-easy.com/products/Parts/Batteries/ELFEi-Long-Travel-Rear-Rack-Battery-136Ah.html

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
there are a few people on here who might build it for you. Where are you Johnboy?

There's a couple of things you need to consider that are conflicting in your spec:

1. If you have fancy hub gears then you are restricted to Mid drive or front hub. Neither of which are as stealthy as a rear hub.

2. If you want suspension forks and hydraulic (disc) brakes then you are probably looking at a mountain bike.

3. If you want the battery in the triangle then it will be made harder if you go for a ladies model.

4. A lightweight frame is good, but I wouldn't get too hung up on the odd Kilo. You are probably going to add about 10 kilos of copper/aluminium/cable ties to the thing anyway.

For stealth and hill climbing the Bafang BPM/CST is good choice.

All kits (that I know of) are derestritable, or already derestricted.

as a starting point for discussion, what do you think of this ready built option?

http://www.kudoscycles.com/product_info.php?cPath=1&products_id=327

(not connected with Kudos in any way, not even owned one, just like the stealth factor of their bikes)

Last edited:

johnboy

Sep 24, 2015
there are a few people on here who might build it for you. Where are you Johnboy?

There's a couple of things you need to consider that are conflicting in your spec:

1. If you have fancy hub gears then you are restricted to Mid drive or front hub. Neither of which are as stealthy as a rear hub.

2. If you want suspension forks and hydraulic (disc) brakes then you are probably looking at a mountain bike.

3. If you want the battery in the triangle then it will be made harder if you go for a ladies model.

4. A lightweight frame is good, but I wouldn't get too hung up on the odd Kilo. You are probably going to add about 10 kilos of copper/aluminium/cable ties to the thing anyway.

For stealth and hill climbing the Bafang BPM/CST is good choice.

All kits (that I know of) are derestritable, or already derestricted.

as a starting point for discussion, what do you think of this ready built option?

http://www.kudoscycles.com/product_info.php?cPath=1&products_id=327
Thanks based near Croydon.

1. Would prefer rear hub or crank drive.
2. Quite a lot of my route is off road so mtb sounds sensible option but with slightly lower step frame
3. Can I have battery on pannier rack with crank drive
4. Makes sense regarding frame so happy to give on that. My existing bike is about 26kg and feels really heavy so wanted something a bit lighter
5. Looked at the Ariba but the throttle is limited to 6mph

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
you may have to buy a German made bikes for offroading. AFAIK, none of the Chinese batteries has good enough mounting kit to last the rough rides.
Keep in mind you want a powerful motor with throttle, your battery is going to be at least 3kgs.
The downtube batteries are a bit better but you'd need to add at least two more M5 rivnuts and shockproof the mounting plate. Whereas with rear rack batteries, the rack welds will crack in no time at all.

johnboy

Sep 24, 2015
you may have to buy a German made bikes for offroading. AFAIK, none of the Chinese batteries has good enough mounting kit to last the rough rides.
Keep in mind you want a powerful motor with throttle, your battery is going to be at least 3kgs.
The downtube batteries are a bit better but you'd need to add at least two more M5 rivnuts and shockproof the mounting plate. Whereas with rear rack batteries, the rack welds will crack in no time at all.
Thanks for that. Is there anyone that might be able to build for me?

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
building is not difficult, most people can do this themselves or call in a mobile bike mechanic for a couple of hours.
but if you can't look after the bike yourself, then you should perhaps look into buying from a local bike shop.

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
I think Woosh will convert a bike for you with their kit.

Edit. Isn’t that right trex? I notice you didn’t mention them.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
I know woosh in Southend will fit crank drive kits for £50, hub kits for £75. Just don't mention going off road to Hatti! (the boys are OK with offroading).

C

Cyclezee

Hi Johnboy,

The Ansmann FT-11 could have been an option, but it only ticks 5 out of 10 of your boxes:(

FT11.jpg

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
JB needs to sure on the style of bike he requires, first he shows a pic of low bar frame like a ladies hybrid then he mentions a mtb, you can get mtb in ladies style. Be clear in your head the bike you need then find one which matches your criteria. The battery can be frame or rack mounted the drive system doesn't really matter but bare in mind that a rear rack and a rear hub will make the bike very back heavy.

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
Need a bike that can handle 30 miles a day on a mixture of road and foot paths. Also want to ensure that it is comfortable to road. Maybe the hybrids is the safer option as want to ensure that I can get a good speed out of it on the flats
Thread hijack alert!