Cyclamatic Power Plus Owners club (2)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
As NRG says, deep cold storage is only for some months out of use, and then at only 20 to 40% charge. For the usual occasional use just keep the battery charged and away from hot areas when not in use.

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
I hope we would never do that Fordulike. :)

The front brake on the Cyclamatic Power Plus photos is a caliper brake, that's this sort:

The other popular type is the V brake, that looks like this:

The road-sports-bike world mainly prefer calipers, the rim brake mass market seems to prefer V brakes.

Occasionally now one sees cantilever brakes. These have an upside down V brake-cable inner that pulls vertically above the brake arms. The cantilever brake looks like this:

The front brake on my wifes Cyclamatic is no 2 on the list( a V brake) I think Flecc you might be looking and mistaking the U of the top of the forks as the brake.(difficult to see on a picture)

Dave

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The front brake on my wifes Cyclamatic is no 2 on the list( a V brake) I think Flecc you might be looking and mistaking the U of the top of the forks as the brake.(difficult to see on a picture)

Dave
Quite possible Dave, I just looked for an online pic and looked at a tiny image so couldn't be absolutely sure. Wasn't worried though as I intended to illustrate all the current* rim types for Fordulike.

* Left out stirrup brakes though, those and shallow v rims disappeared long ago. :D

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
Quite possible Dave, I just looked for an online pic and looked at a tiny image so couldn't be absolutely sure. Wasn't worried though as I intended to illustrate all the current* rim types for Fordulike.

* Left out stirrup brakes though, those and shallow v rims disappeared long ago. :D
My Evans has the Cantilever brakes and they work superbly:D

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
I suppose no matter how carefully i look after my battery, there will come a time when it will need replacing. I was having a gander around the web looking for a specific Cyclamatic battery replacement. I couldn't find a direct replacement made by Zhejiang Xinghai Energy Technology (Headway). In case anyone's not familiar with this one, it's a 24v 9AH li-ion presented in an aluminium casing approx 15" x 4.5" x 3". This slots vertically underneath the seat post on a runner and locks into place with a key. The key lock mounted on the actual battery also switches the battery power on and off.
My question is, are these type battery and casings fairly generic apart from capacity and voltage? I've seen one that looks virtually identical to mine and happens to be one of the new LiFePO4 type in this link:
24v Lifepo4 Battery 10ah For Electric Bicycle - China 24V lifepo4 battery, lifepo4 battery 24V, 24V10ah lifepo4 battery in Bicycle Parts
Anyone know if this would be suitable?

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Sorry, i forgot to ask if the battery to bike docking power connections are the same on these type of bikes. The bike has 2 prongs pointing upwards, which dock with the battery which has 2 female type slots.
If i can't get an exact replacement, then i can use the existing docking base removed from the existing battery and solder my own battery to the terminals. Hopefully using a LiFePO4 battery.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
They tend to vary quite a lot, no standardisation as yet, but as you say, adaptation is often possible.

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
Having just met up with Phil P and viewed his new Cyclamatic Power Plus bike I noted that since acquiring my wifes version they have made a couple of upgrades. The stem is now a smart fully adjustable version and they have included a connecting socket from the hub to the controller. So! it looks like they are planning on selling this bike for the forseeable future. The fit and finish seems slightly up on the earlier model as well.

Keep in mind that it is a 17" frame and more suited to riders between lets say 5`-5`10" but of course with an extended stem and raising the seat would be fully acceptable for taller riders. It will not compete with the more expensive bikes for sure but certainly is a great bike for starters and/or local leisure riding.

Dave

Ratzakli

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 14, 2010
Spare Battery Charger

Hi everyone

I am new to all this and have been reading through some of the other threads about the Cyclamatic Power Plus. It certainly seems like a good forum for useful ideas and tips.

I bought my own just a few days ago and have been out and about with it a few times now - and I'm very happy to say it has been so far, so good!! :D

I really surprised myself by using it to get to work today. I live in Bexhill and work in Hastings so the journey is a little over 5 miles each way, with some pretty hefty hill climbs along the way (if any of you know the area, you will know the sort of inclines I am talking about).

I am fat, fairly unfit and the wrong side of fifty but I still managed to get to the office this morning in under half an hour so I was feeling awfully pleased with myself when I arrived - until I actually dismounted, when I realised that my legs felt like rubber!!! :eek:

It might be a while yet before I can start challenging Chris Hoy to a Britain's Biggest Thighs contest. ;)

One thing I was wondering was if anyone knows the best (and cheapest) place to get a spare battery charger from? I'd like to keep one at work so that I have a backup in case I forget to recharge the battery the night before. After all, I wouldn't want to find myself running out of power on the way home! :rolleyes:

I have seen something like it on e-bay but that was for a 36V version and I think the Power Plus battery is 24V.

Thanks

Ratzakli

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
One thing I was wondering was if anyone knows the best (and cheapest) place to get a spare battery charger from?
Best to try SportsHQ first for the original type if they can supply.

If they can't, the Powacycle Salisbury LPX charger will do the job, but you may have to change the connector, getting the polarity right.

Ratzakli

May 14, 2010
Thanks flecc

The model I have got is the 17" frame 26" wheel, not the folaway type - but I guess the battery fittings would still be the same. I'll contact Sports HQ and ask them.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
SportsHQ have supplied both types of bike, the folder and the Power Plus and have claimed they will provide spares backup, so a good way to try out their claims. :)

Ratzakli

May 14, 2010
Well I have received a reply already from Tim at Sports HQ so I can't fault the speed of their service.

However, he quoted a price of £200 :eek: - but I am hoping that he misread my original question and has quoted for a replacement battery instead of a replacement charger.

I have sent another email asking him to check again for me.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I feel sure that's a mistake. Even the most expensive brands only charge up to about £125 for chargers, many below £100.

AlanGeeK

Just Joined
May 12, 2010
Hi Guys,
I've been lurking in the forum for a couple of weeks - I got my Cyclamatic Power Plus in January and I've used it quite a bit around the area (Larne & Glens of Antrim) which is quite hilly. It just flattens them - it's amazing!

I've decide to fit puncture resistent tubes to my tyres but ran into a problem with the rear wheel. SportsHQ provided instructions for removing the wheel but I don't really want to cut the electric feed to the hub, and the screw mounting the disk brake to the frame is in so tight that when i try loosening it with a posi screwdriver it just strips the head, and when i try using an adjustable spanner to turn it that just strips too.
so the only answer appears to be to drill it out.

Has anyone else tried removing the rear wheel? If so have you any tips to share?

TIA
Alan

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
welcome Alan...I think the answer has already been posted in this thread if you go through it:)

adjustable spanners are not that great an idea, as you have found out. Best get right spanner for the job......

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
Hi Guys,
I've been lurking in the forum for a couple of weeks - I got my Cyclamatic Power Plus in January and I've used it quite a bit around the area (Larne & Glens of Antrim) which is quite hilly. It just flattens them - it's amazing!

I've decide to fit puncture resistent tubes to my tyres but ran into a problem with the rear wheel. SportsHQ provided instructions for removing the wheel but I don't really want to cut the electric feed to the hub, and the screw mounting the disk brake to the frame is in so tight that when i try loosening it with a posi screwdriver it just strips the head, and when i try using an adjustable spanner to turn it that just strips too.
so the only answer appears to be to drill it out.

Has anyone else tried removing the rear wheel? If so have you any tips to share?

TIA
Alan
my wife had a puncture in her rear on the Plus, can`t remember fully how or what I had to undo but there wasn`t a problem. I just let a bit of slack out from the controller and left the wires connected leaving just enough free play to remove the wheel.
What I will say when removing a wheel where there is a cable attached without a connector is that I always just split the chain and remove it and that makes it so much easier. With the correct tool it is just so easy to split and rejoin a chain. A tip: don`t push the rivet all the way out from the chain, leave it just in a touch and when rejoining wind the rivet just a touch past the position it should be in and then turn the tool around and carefully just edge the rivet back a touch till the link is completely free to turn. The link must be 100% free when done.

Ratzakli

May 14, 2010
I meant to reply to this last week to say that I received a second reply from Sports HQ to say that they had made a mistake previously and the cost for a replacement battery charger would actually be £40. :)

Phew!!! :D

Barry

Jun 3, 2010
SL6
I just started riding a power-plus at the beginning of June. First impressions are very favourable. I commute 11.6 miles including a 1:10 hill. The hill just feels like a regular hill, normal hills are like cycling on flat terrain, and it has cut 20 minutes off the journey, which I was doing about twice a week on my push bike.

I am concerned for the battery life, having read some worrying reports on this forum, but I will just have to wait and see.

I really miss only one thing - the Power Plus comes without a rear rack, and I haven't found one that fits the unusually shaped frame yet. Has anyone here found a rack that fits? I ordered a Madison Ridge Rear Pannier Rack for Disc Brakes but had to return it. It fitted the width of the axle, but I couldn't connect the front to the frame.