Cyclamatic powerplus battery problems...anyone else?

footpump

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2014
spoke to someone last week who has a cyclamatic just over one year old and does uses the same route as my earlier reply on this thread.

but could do 2 trips per day 16 miles in total if I recall the milage correctly but this gradually dropped so he had to recharge every day.

in the end bought a new battery £300, I assume he was out of warrenty, so perhaps there are issues with cyclamatics.

Reactions: Perseus

Perseus

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2015
Still testing my secondhand one. Lights for the battery charge do not seem to mean much. I charge after very trip, only four so far and I do not know the range yet. I do not use it for very short trips as locking it up takes longer.

OldBob1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 11, 2012
Staffordshire
My folder is 3 years old and with 24 volt battery, still does 20+ miles, do you leave the charger on after green light comes on? I do to allow BMS to do its job and equalize cells.

Perseus

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2015
How do know it is the battery is dead and not another problem? My Cyclamatic has stopped working. 24V 10AH Battery only ever did 10 miles. Good bike but the distance on battery is a severe limitation. I want a realistic 30 miles. Cyclamatic is as good a Kalkhof to ride. Better because of the throttle, but probably cannot cope with such steep inclines.

Gradually got worse and worse performance and would not climb moderate gradients.

Last edited:

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
How do know it is the battery is dead and not another problem? My Cyclamatic has stopped working. 24V 10AH Battery only ever did 10 miles. Good bike but the distance on battery is a severe limitation. I want a realistic 30 miles. Cyclamatic is as good a Kalkhof to ride. Better because of the throttle, but probably cannot cope with such steep inclines.

Gradually got worse and worse performance and would not climb moderate gradients.
When I owned a Cyclamatic, I had to open up the battery to sort out a few issues. To be honest, I don't remember the cells to be anything special i.e Samsung or Panasonic, so likely to be cheap generic ones.

They're not particularly well put together either, and the battery block can shake loose and slide vertically inside the housing, causing further issues.

Therefore, I wouldn't expect great longevity of any Cyclamatic battery pack.

Perseus

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2015
When I owned a Cyclamatic, I had to open up the battery to sort out a few issues. To be honest, I don't remember the cells to be anything special i.e Samsung or Panasonic, so likely to be cheap generic ones.

They're not particularly well put together either, and the battery block can shake loose and slide vertically inside the housing, causing further issues.

Therefore, I wouldn't expect great longevity of any Cyclamatic battery pack.
Thanks for the reply. When I find time, I will look closely. When charged all the lights come on. Not even sure of the lights actually mean anything?

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Thanks for the reply. When I find time, I will look closely. When charged all the lights come on. Not even sure of the lights actually mean anything?
One issue I did encounter, is the contacts of the battery not engaging with the prongs of the docking platform properly. This was due to oxidation and slight opening up of the contacts through vibration and movement of the assembly.

Well worth cleaning the prongs and battery contacts with electrical cleaner. Also, gently bend the contacts on the battery inwards, so that they engage the prongs better.

• Informative
Reactions: VictoryV

Perseus

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2015
Battery lights come on. Can I assume the battery is charged OK? I think it is the motor as before it stopped completely it was making horrid noises.

The bike is a good ride, but too low on distance and not very good on power going up hills. No good on manual power.

D

Deleted member 4366

Noises from the motor is bad news. You should never run an electric bike if the motor makes noises or doesn't run properly because you'll get consequential damage to the controller. Often the motor problems are only a bad connector, which is easy to fix.

Motors are normally pretty reliable unless you let them fill up with water. It can feel and sound like your motor is knocking or jamming, but the cause is only a loose connector.

You can't make any assumptions about the battery. You should charge it up, leave it for 30 minutes and then measure the voltage on the two outer pins of the charge socket and then on the main terminals underneath.

Perseus

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2015
Noises from the motor is bad news. You should never run an electric bike if the motor makes noises or doesn't run properly because you'll get consequential damage to the controller. Often the motor problems are only a bad connector, which is easy to fix.

Motors are normally pretty reliable unless you let them fill up with water. It can feel and sound like your motor is knocking or jamming, but the cause is only a loose connector.

You can't make any assumptions about the battery. You should charge it up, leave it for 30 minutes and then measure the voltage on the two outer pins of the charge socket and then on the main terminals underneath.
Thanks for the reply. I will appraise you of my findings. (I can't afford a new ebike.)

Belen

Pedelecer
Aug 25, 2016
Bristol, uk

Thanks for your info,

I have a Cyclamatic Power plus, and I need advise desperately.
I have been reading lots of info, but still I have not any idea about my problem.
My battery has 24v9ah.
There are two batteries in ebay which have 24v11Ah and another with 24v17,5Ah.
My questio is, can I put any of these batteries to my bike without doing any change on it, or may I change anything. Please could you let me know if I need to make any change, where could I find the information?
And do you know any other place where I can buy the battery apart of this shop online where are so expensive.
I went to a e-bike shop and they recommended me only buying the same battery and only designed for Cyclamatic, so I do not know what to do really.

Thanks you for answer me if anyone has the info

Belen

Belen

Pedelecer
Aug 25, 2016
Bristol, uk
Hi there
I have a Cyclamatic Power plus, and I need advise desperately.
I have been reading lots of info, but still I have not any idea about my problem.
My battery has 24v9ah.
There are two batteries in ebay which have 24v11Ah and another with 24v17,5Ah.
My questio is, can I put any of these batteries to my bike without doing any change on it, or may I change anything. Please could you let me know if I need to make any change, where could I find the information?
And do you know any other place where I can buy the battery apart of this shop online where are so expensive.
I went to a e-bike shop and they recommended me only buying the same battery and only designed for Cyclamatic, so I do not know what to do really.

Thanks you for answer me if anyone has the info

Belen

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Belen welcome.
electrically no issues. Physical fit and connectors is all you need to worry about.

Reactions: VictoryV
D

Deleted member 4366

There's four things to check:

Firstly, the profile (extrusion) of the case must be the same, so look at the width and depth dimensions. Everybody measures it differently, but as long as it's close, it'll be ok.

Secondly, the length. You can use any length you want, but you have to understand that a very long one will mean that you might have to raise the seat. When you know the length of the new battery, you can check where the top will be relative to the seat. Also, the lock-pin goes into a hole in an aluminium strip, so if you get a longer battery, you need the aluminium strip that goes with it. Make sure that the supplier provides that.

Thirdly. the contacts can be the wrong way round. Always check with a meter before connecting. Sometimes there's minor differences in the pins, which might need a bit of adjustment/filing.

lastly, the charge socket. No problem if they provide a matching charger, but some use the coax socket. Also, you shoud check the polarity of the charge socket before using you existing charger.

In most cases, everything will be OK, but it's always best to check.

The number of amp-hours doesn't matter. The more you have, the further you'll go.

Some vendors supply the battery as a complete kit with the aluminium strip and the matching base-plate, like this one:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Bottom-discharge-700W-Silver-fish-24V-22AH-lithium-battery-24V-ebike-bike-battery-Use-3-7V/32689403787.html?spm=2114.40010308.4.12.qWAYXS

Belen

Pedelecer
Aug 25, 2016
Bristol, uk
Belen welcome.
electrically no issues. Physical fit and connectors is all you need to worry about.
Thanks so much for your answers, it is very useful this information for me. I just was getting crazy reading and reading forums about batteries.

Thanks!!!!!

Belen

Pedelecer
Aug 25, 2016
Bristol, uk
There's four things to check:

Firstly, the profile (extrusion) of the case must be the same, so look at the width and depth dimensions. Everybody measures it differently, but as long as it's close, it'll be ok.

Secondly, the length. You can use any length you want, but you have to understand that a very long one will mean that you might have to raise the seat. When you know the length of the new battery, you can check where the top will be relative to the seat. Also, the lock-pin goes into a hole in an aluminium strip, so if you get a longer battery, you need the aluminium strip that goes with it. Make sure that the supplier provides that.

Thirdly. the contacts can be the wrong way round. Always check with a meter before connecting. Sometimes there's minor differences in the pins, which might need a bit of adjustment/filing.

lastly, the charge socket. No problem if they provide a matching charger, but some use the coax socket. Also, you shoud check the polarity of the charge socket before using you existing charger.

In most cases, everything will be OK, but it's always best to check.

The number of amp-hours doesn't matter. The more you have, the further you'll go.

Some vendors supply the battery as a complete kit with the aluminium strip and the matching base-plate, like this one:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Bottom-discharge-700W-Silver-fish-24V-22AH-lithium-battery-24V-ebike-bike-battery-Use-3-7V/32689403787.html?spm=2114.40010308.4.12.qWAYXS
Thanks so much!!!!!!
This is brilliant!!!!!! You gave me lots of important information, that I was looking for.
Another question that I have is: shoud I buy always a 24v battery for the bike?
Thanks!!!!!!

D

Deleted member 4366

Many of us have fitted the 36v version of the 24v battery, which worked without any problems. 36v increases the power and the no-load speed by 50%. The actual change of speed depends on your weight and other factors, but it is significant.

Belen

Pedelecer
Aug 25, 2016
Bristol, uk
Many of us have fitted the 36v version of the 24v battery, which worked without any problems. 36v increases the power and the no-load speed by 50%. The actual change of speed depends on your weight and other factors, but it is significant.
Hi dear,

Thanks for all your support. I am very new in this...
And If I put a 36v, may I do any change or it is ok with this bike? because I checked that in the motor it says that it is a 36v. But still for me this things about voltage and Amh are very complicated to understand and I do not want to have a problem.
Another question that I have, is related about the meter. In the other post you told me that I should check with a meter the contacts because they could be the wrong way round. Where can I find a meter, and do you know any youtube video that explains how to do it?
Thanks!!!! I will be an expert in some months :)
I really apreciate all your support mates!!!