Cycle breakdown

bevo

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 13, 2018
Quite a few old threads about eta cycle recovery/breakdown. Has anyone actually called them out for help?? are they any good. £24 for peace of mind seems a good deal... I think i would struggle to find a friend with a big enough car to come "save" me in the event of a breakdown..

kangooroo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2015
Wye Valley
This sounds good so I've just had a peek at their website. Alas, I couldn't find a realistic quote for £24 - the cheapest being £22.76 for a bike valued at £100, increasing pro-rata with the bike value. A Sold Secure lock has to be used and apparently a £50 excess on claims.

On adding a more realistic bike value, the premium swiftly increases, even in our low-rated postcode.

Having ridden over a 4" fence nail earlier this week on my folding manual bike, insurance cover would have been useful but I don't think ETA is going to be the solution, at least not for me.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
This sounds good so I've just had a peek at their website. Alas, I couldn't find a realistic quote for £24 - the cheapest being £22.76 for a bike valued at £100, increasing pro-rata with the bike value. A Sold Secure lock has to be used and apparently a £50 excess on claims.
That's if you buy their insurance.

The £24 is a fixed price for breakdown recovery only on any value bike.

Reactions: bevo

kangooroo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2015
Wye Valley
Do you have a link for it please because I can't find this.

bevo

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 13, 2018
The thing I'm looking at is just a basic 24£ for recovery?? not insurance as well? it doesn't seem ask bike details..unless is does at a later stage in the process?...

Reactions: kangooroo

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Do you have a link for it please because I can't find this.

Here's the link with all the information:

Use the Buy Now button to buy the recovery service for £24, or if you buy their insurance you get the recovery service free.

N.B. Post crossed with Bevo's.

Reactions: kangooroo

kangooroo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2015
Wye Valley
I hadn't seen just the breakdown but am very interested and could have used it earlier this week following my tyre damage. Am very tempted....

Reactions: flecc

richtea99

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 8, 2020
One fair use qualifier worth noting:

Should you have more than three breakdown callouts (or claims) per policy, per year we will request documentary evidence that the bicycle in question is being properly serviced and maintained. Payment for further callouts will then be provided at our discretion.
We would never refuse to assist our customers.

Which seems very fair use to me.

I particularly like the European cover. I've always winged it before now, but with an ebike I'd have some second thoughts (just because there are things in there I can't bodge) but this solves the basic problem of getting to a suitable LBS.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
If nothing happens for five years, it's a steep price compared to the cost of an inner tube. If something worse happens, I'll fold mine and taxi/bus/train. Many taxi firms do provide large taxis. Tandems would be tricky without a stretch limo.

Last edited:

richtea99

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 8, 2020
A non-folder in the Peaks/Dales/Scotland, and it almost pays for itself in one go.

A tandem fits in a Berlingo (pre-2018 model - not sure about the more recent variant). You just need to wind the front seat flat and put a cover on the fabric to keep it clean.