Cycle Clothing

burncycle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 13, 2008
Sheffield
I have found over the last few days of bad weather that a waterproof jackets is not as essential regards top quality. cus it quickly runs off the jacket.
Though a good pair of waterproof trousers are needed cus the rain get trapped into the crotch area and seaps in quickly with cheap waterproofs.
Also go for waterproof bottoms with some degree of fasterning around the ankles/legs or the rain just runs striaght down your legs and into your shoes and socks, wetting them through.

Also try and get a bike helmet rain cover if you are wearing a helmet.

Regards Bob

rustyrocker

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 6, 2008
I always buy Altura jackets and trousers, but beware of the sizing.

When you try on a jacket that looks ok when your standing upright, it will probably be one size too small for you, because of the extended position of your arms when riding. So go for one size up, even if it looks a bit uncool when youre not riding the bike. Happy hunting.

Mick

keithhazel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2007
Sorry if this is old ground, but any recommendations for a good waterproof jacket?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

for good all round waterproofing i find a good pair of mudguards works well... although it hardly ever rains here im told :rolleyes: ..although that advice might have come from someone riding their bike round center parcs indoors. :rolleyes:

Jeremy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 25, 2007
Salisbury
Whatever happened to cycling capes? They were simple and cheap, plus worked OK (unless it was very windy).

As a lad I used to do a paper round on my bike and my bright yellow cape was probably one of the most effective ways of staying fairly dry, plus it kept my paper sack dry as well.

I haven't seen them about for some time though - must be a fashion thing...........

Jeremy

oldosc

Pedelecer
May 12, 2008
Whatever happened to cycling capes? They were simple and cheap, plus worked OK (unless it was very windy).

As a lad I used to do a paper round on my bike and my bright yellow cape was probably one of the most effective ways of staying fairly dry, plus it kept my paper sack dry as well.

I haven't seen them about for some time though - must be a fashion thing...........

Jeremy
I have found the cape the best bet also , last one I bought was army surplus.. It doubled as a ground sheet..so needed a bit of refashoning.

Phil the drill

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 14, 2008
TR9

Jeremy
They're still about. A quick google search will bring up a few sites. I agree that you don't see them that often now though. Only problem I remember was that cars and lorries overtaking you through puddles could result in a very unwelcome upwards spraying inside your cape.......

flecc

Oct 25, 2006

Jeremy
Raleigh Traditional Cycle Cape :)

Jeremy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 25, 2007
Salisbury
Mine was certainly more than shower proof. I can well recall wearing it in absolutely torrential rain and dreading getting off the bike to walk up to a house and deliver the paper. The snag with walking with it in very heavy rain was that one had to hold one's arms out to stop the water running off the bottom edge and filling one's wellies.

Mine was made of some sort of plastic covered fabric, rather like the stuff used to make those nasty chequered pattern table cloths in transport cafes and commonly referred to as "oil skin" (although it was no such thing).

Jeremy

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The Raleigh traditional cape is advertised as "showerproof". Not like the ones we used to wear, ours were more likely to have been bomb-proof! Isn't that right, chaps?
Could be the cautious PC thing on descriptions, like the way saying "waterproof" became too risky and "water resistant" took it's place.

The Maestro

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2008
Does a cape protect your legs though?

I've been looking for some kind of ultra lightweight jacket and overtrousers that will pack to an extremely small size like an under saddle bag or a small rucksack. I have bought a racing bike for the good weather days and am not planning to add any luggage onto it but will still need to carry some kind of waterproofs incase the weather turns while I'm at work.

robert44

Pedelecer
Mar 3, 2008
BS23
Could be the cautious PC thing on descriptions, like the way saying "waterproof" became too risky and "water resistant" took it's place.
Flecc,
you may well be right. Personally, if it says "water resistant" then it ain't "waterproof".

Jeremy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 25, 2007
Salisbury
Does a cape protect your legs though?

I've been looking for some kind of ultra lightweight jacket and overtrousers that will pack to an extremely small size like an under saddle bag or a small rucksack. I have bought a racing bike for the good weather days and am not planning to add any luggage onto it but will still need to carry some kind of waterproofs incase the weather turns while I'm at work.
It will usually keep your upper legs pretty dry (barring splashes that come up from underneath). I used to wear wellies to keep my lower legs dry, but would guess that there has to be a better way now, maybe waterproof leggings.

The advantage of a cape is that it keeps your saddle and handlebars relatively dry, plus will fit over a small back pack. The main disadvantage is the wind problem - they are not the best thing in a stiff breeze.

Jeremy